Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought it was TPS problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:51 PM
sethclayton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought it was TPS problem

Hi guys! First wanted to say that this place is an amazing resource for tinkering with my 944!

1st off, my problem: Car returns to idle when throttle is opened all the way (cuts out around 85% open) in all gears, even neutral.

Thought it was TPS, so I followed Clark's instructions on checking the DME plug for correct resistance readings. All was satisfactory. Does this mean that I don't need to remove throttle body to check actual switch <fingers crossed>?

I don't see any glaring problems with my vacuum lines...

When I disconnected the DME plug, I noticed that there was a plug with brown wires coming from it...see attachment...that wasn't connected to anything...is this the speed sensor? If the attachment doesn't show automatically, can someone tell me how to get images to display within the post? Thanks!

Thanks guys! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2007, 04:54 PM
BKiller
Instructor

You didn't get the memo about the TPS report???
Old 03-07-2007, 04:55 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

air flow meter been messed with? what you describe is exactly what a afm that binds or had the guts (track) messed with does
sure you are not hitting the rev limiter?
Old 03-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am pretty sure there are two plugs in that area that look similar to that, one goes to the altitude sensor. One is supposed to be left disconnected.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:03 PM
sethclayton
Instructor

Hey BKiller...you have my stapler? Great movie...

Not sure about the AFM...I just purchased the car. Definitely not hitting rev limiter...it'll cut out at any rpm...definitely when I get the throttle open the right amount. If I punch it real hard, it cuts before the revs have a chance to get up at all. How do I check the AFM?
Old 03-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-22.htm

Its possible the wiper track in the AFM is hitting a dead spot and is causing the cutout. Basically you need to power the AFM with a 9v battery and move the barn door through its range of movement, you can check the voltage with a multimeter. The voltage should raise up to roughly 8.5 - 9vs with the 9v battery source. If there is any voltage drop or voltage fluctuation your AFM is probably out of whack.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-22.htm
Old 03-08-2007, 12:04 AM
sethclayton
Instructor

Sounds good. I'll check it tomorrow morning and see what I come up with. What does an AFM cost if I do need to replace?

Quick Reply: Thought it was TPS problem