Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal switch doesnt return

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:25 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal switch doesnt return

Just wondering why this is? My turn signal switch needs me to manually return it when the steering wheel straightens out. On other cars, the turn signal returns when the steering wheel returns.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does this from time to time. I've heard that you can repair it on later cars. Use the search link
Old 12-27-2006, 04:44 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do you have a stock wheel or aftermarket? There is a notch sticking out from the back of the wheel that hits the turn sig. switch and turns them off- if that is broken or worn(or you have the wrong aftermarket adapter for a wheel) it will not turn them off. You can remove that piece and replace it on the stock wheel if it is broken.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:50 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Originally Posted by xsboost90
do you have a stock wheel or aftermarket? There is a notch sticking out from the back of the wheel that hits the turn sig. switch and turns them off- if that is broken or worn(or you have the wrong aftermarket adapter for a wheel) it will not turn them off. You can remove that piece and replace it on the stock wheel if it is broken.
You have a Part#
Old 12-27-2006, 06:21 PM
hpservertech
Pro

it is going to be either the canceling ring or a little white switch inside the turn signal assembly. canceling ring is cheap, $20 i think from 944online.com. Dont know about the switch assembly though. Had the same issue, but it wasn't the canceling ring, it was the switch assembly.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:31 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This is pretty common. I took mine apart and used some white lithium grease on the internals which were sticking.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:40 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

I have an Aftermarket steering wheel. Hopefully the screws holding it in arent stripped. Can I see if the canceling ring is ok without removing the steering wheel? It is a MOMO Race steering wheel and looks like its held on by allen screws. I bought this car 2 years ago with this wheel, and this problem. But its such a minor problem that I keep forgetting about it and never get to repair it. Judging by the responses on this thread, looks like many people have this problem and I reminded them about it lol
Old 12-27-2006, 10:19 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if its a MOMO wheel, there are two types of adapters- late and early style- old dash and new dash basically- if you have the early style in a late car it will not work- if you have the late style in the early your wiring will catch on fire when you tighten the bolt down- ask me how i know! OR the adapter may be on upside down. When you pull the wheel w/ the 6?mm alan bolts, there should be an arrow at the top most screw hole location if the wheel is straight that says UP^ - that should be UP or its upside down- If it is, you need to find a late adapter for your car. Also you can pull the 24mm nut in the middle of the adapter, and pull it off the column shaft to check if the white plastic thingy is sticking out for the adapter to contact when you push the turn signal shaft up or down.- if its stuck in then that could be the problem- i have a late turn sig. stalk if you need one. Dan.

Quick Reply: Turn signal switch doesnt return