Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford MAF - 944NA official project thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 07:50 PM
RM512
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the post again. He's using an IAT sensor, see post #141.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-20C? You'd probably be getting differant readings with a tempature difference that significant.

Last edited by Reimu; 06-11-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:24 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 36 Posts

@RM52,

I know he's using the IAT sensor,but he is not using it to convert the signal from the MAF.
the way i see it(and I could be wrong) is that the colder air will cool the MAF film(or wire) more than the warmer air and give out the different reading of the amount of air coming in.

To get the proper readings to the DME ,MAF signals need to be adjusted using IAT sensor readings before signal reaches DME.

Couple of posts earlier(page 7) tkacki had it done,but I am not sure if he has compensated for the different temperatures.

Just my $0.02
Zeljko

Last edited by amet; 06-12-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:21 PM
KY944S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So where do we stand? What do I need to convert my 86n/a? Drop all the science lingo, I'm just a simple mechanic.
If you think I'm a little lost your right
Old 08-08-2007, 10:42 AM
951wcb
Intermediate

So is this project still in the works, Does the contour MAF work with out a piggy back? I have this set up sorta on my 951 but I use a lindsey racing MAF and a ARC2 controller.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:38 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Amet
@RM52,

I know he's using the IAT sensor,but he is not using it to convert the signal from the MAF.
the way i see it(and I could be wrong) is that the colder air will cool the MAF film(or wire) more than the warmer air and give out the different reading of the amount of air coming in.

To get the proper readings to the DME ,MAF signals need to be adjusted using IAT sensor readings before signal reaches DME.

Couple of posts earlier(page 7) tkacki had it done,but I am not sure if he has compensated for the different temperatures.

Just my $0.02
Zeljko

FYI a lot of MAF units do not even use an IAT in the unit itself ,therefore the velocity is the only measurement taken compared to the size of the tube .

I believe the Ford model is like this, it uses a separate IAT on the filter housing. This is why it would work using the IAT from an old AFM bc it is already calibrated to the DME.

I am also currently working on finding the "perfect" MAF and the one mentioned in the initial post was on my list of ones to try. Right now I am using one from an audi 1.8 turbo and while it works, the off idle is always rich. It is OK for my fuel setup (E85) but not for regular gas. It would need to have a voltage modifier inline to be perfect.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:27 PM
KY944S
Instructor

A few weeks ago a full write up was done
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...15#post4391315
Old 08-08-2007, 06:13 PM
blown 944
Race Car

I saw that earlier.

good work BTW.

I am currently looking at running them inline for testing on my 951 too. Very good idea.

I can't believe how much arguing happens on these things. We are only talking about voltage here WOW. I had the same controversies when I supercharged my car. Well it's been running for 2 years w/o trouble so _I_ think it worked OK

Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:12 PM
KY944S
Instructor

Originally Posted by blown 944
I can't believe how much arguing happens on these things. We are only talking about voltage here WOW.
That's what it is "voltage in voltage out". Just got mine up and running. No problems at all. As a matter of fact the throttle responce is much smoother, no hesitation what so ever
Old 08-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Originally Posted by blown 944
It is OK for my fuel setup (E85) but not for regular gas. It would need to have a voltage modifier inline to be perfect.
I saw a article (around the end of last year in Panorama I think) that said to stay away from E85. That it would damage the entire fuel system over time from the gas tank to injecters. If I recall correctly they said neither the big three or even Toyota approved it for use in older cars.

Blown 944 ... I can try to find the article during the weekend if your interested in it.

-----------------------------------------------------
Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC
Old 08-09-2007, 01:04 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Alex no disrespect to you or them, but I've been around this stuff for some time now.

It has been pointed out in many articles w/o significant proof. Generally there are references dating back to gasahol and those were from the early 80s when Methanol was used as the additive.

Most articles refer to ethanol only and not the mixture of the 15% petroleum which acts as a lubricant to the fuel system. One other thing I havn't pointed out is that I use a nice removable log filter on my cars to see if there is any type of corrosive behavior, and I have seen none even on the old '83 and it has rubber lines throughout . the 83 has been on E85 for a couple maybe even a few years now. My little van has been on it for ....thinking...4 years or more.

With anything new and ith strong enough dissention(read oil companies) anything can be torn down in the media.

These are just my observations, based on my actual experiences. Nothing more or less

I have had a hookup with ethanol for a long time now and I am glad it is available on a broader platform so others who choose to give it a shot can see the benefits/drawbacks for themselves w/o outside interference

Back on topic, has anyone done a comparison of the 944 AFM voltage output range vs the 951?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:58 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

With anything new and ith strong enough dissention(read oil companies) anything can be torn down in the media.
Sort of reminds me of the early on R134A freon conversions where every hose, oring, drop of oil, etc had to be changed over.

Is it the right way, sure. But I have had cars with the oil charge and fill with 134a going for years with no problems. Usually they blow colder when done too.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

I have *absolutly* no experiece with E85, and with my memory I need to find the article before I say much more, but if I remember correctly it was a warning issued from Porsche themselves.

If I can find it I'll start a fresh post since I don't want to keep posting off topic here.

-----------------------------------------------------
Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC
Old 08-10-2007, 03:44 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 36 Posts

Blown944

If you are running rich all the time, have you tried adjusting the fuel quality switch(FQS) on the DME ?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:14 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

For what it's worth:

QUESTION: Can my car use E85 Ethanol? Will it wreck the fuel system? (February 2006)

ANSWER:

[This is another question from the PCA Tech Section web site - also, see the update at the end of this question, or go to the www.pca.org tech section and search for e85 for more commentary on this subject].

There is a lot of hype and marketing around this now, and it is hard to sort through it all to see what's real.

In some states it is actually illegal to sell E85, because there is an older law on the books stating that it is illegal to sell gasoline with higher than 10% (or 15%) ethanol. All of this is changing rapidly though as E85 is a big deal now.

Ask your dealer to tell you what PCNA's latest official position on E85 is. It could be anything from "it is not approved", or "if you use it you void your warranty", or it could be "it works fine". Even if I knew the answer, a) it is important that you know where you stand with your warranty at your dealership, and b) Porsche's position on this issue is likely evolving as we speak.

I doubt it would wreck the fuel system, but it could slowly start to gum it up. Ethanol used to attack certain materials in the system, but E10 blending has been going on for years, and the changes needed to go that far have been made lon g ago. But the first thing you will notice with E85 is you will be down on power. There is less energy content per gallon in E85 than in our familiar blends of gasoline. The ECU in your car will change the ignition timing and the fuel injection duration to retune for it.

However at full power this may not work. If you try it, do NOT use full throttle, and let us know what else you find. If the ECU runs out of adjustment range on fuel or timing, or if it doesn't like the exhaust content, you will get a check engine light. That should go away on its own if you switch back on the fuel.

I will try to post an update after I ask around and gather more information on this.

Joel Reiser - PCA WebSite - 2/22/2006

UPDATE: I was able to talk to a few others on tech committee about this over the weekend at our national tech meeting in Tulsa, in conjunction with Cimarron Tech. The consensus is it won't work without some serious engineering by Porsche, and we do not believe they have that on the agenda. I would expect bad or no running and a check engine light to come on with multiple fault codes almost instantly. It would go away and should run normally again after draining the fuel tank and refilling with normal fuel, but only if you did not push it too hard and damage the engine.

Joel Reiser - PCA WebSite - 3/6/2006

Quick Reply: Ford MAF - 944NA official project thread