Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford MAF - 944NA official project thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you realistically cant just plug in the contour maf? what the hells a mafterburner? *goes to check*
Old 11-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

look like the mafterburner is designed to work with tons of ford mafs...including the contour. hooray! that thing is sweet. Im still not getting the IAT thing but whatever. hurry up sharky! its all up to you! and that other guy...or something
Old 11-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

The problem is that the MAF and AFM are two different animals. With a converter like a MAFterburner you can probably convert the MAF signal to mimic the AFM signal very well, but for a small temperature/pressure/humidity range. the MAF and the AFM are affected by the environment in different ways.

What I think we need is a smarter MAFterburner that has a temp and barometric pressure sensor in it and connection to a wideband O2. It could make a snazzy 3D map, extrapolate the full-throttle map and generally be great.

The Power Commander for motorcycles is already doing something like this, but it is not an AFM->MAF converter. They have one for BMW that takes a wideband signal. I do not know the details. We could beg them for a product like this as it could be sold to Porsche, BMW, Mazda (Miata!) Ford (Probe?) The current product is designed to give you some power tuning options and to help compensate for mods on FI bikes. I have one in my Monster but it is all open-loop.

Another option is to use something like an arc2 and a wideband, so you can tweak it for cold days.
I personally do not think this is worth messing with unless you have lots of NA mods (like a cam, porting, header) or if you are trying to get a 951 over 280whp but it'd be fun to mess with.

-Joel.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

my na is a light weight, cutom intake, header, and exhaust, chip. does that count? lol

i dont see what you mean for a small range? (first) does the stock AFM correct for temperature? is that why it has a IAT sensor?

second...doesnt a MAF correct for temp automatically cause of the wire? thats why i was wondering why sharky has a temp sensor on it...is that just so he can let the dme know for whatever reason the dme wants to know...which goes back to the first question?

cant you just use a wideband and the mafterburner and tune it untill your happy with the afrs along the revrange? and being able to tune the afrs like that can lead to watching EGT temps and messing with timing...ect....ect..to get the most power out of your na...or boosting.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

and what do you mean using an arc 2 for the cold....
Old 11-19-2006, 02:34 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

This particular MAF is so close to the same voltage curve that it works. I plan on using this with the MAXBOX so I can have the DME utilize the MAF signal 100% properly.

I plan on using all of this on my track car.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:04 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by sharky47
I plan on using this with the MAXBOX so I can have the DME utilize the MAF signal 100% properly.
MAXTRONIC!!!

Old 11-19-2006, 03:09 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rberry951
MAXTRONIC!!!

Old 11-19-2006, 03:11 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Yeah - that one!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Campeck
i dont see what you mean for a small range? (first) does the stock AFM correct for temperature? is that why it has a IAT sensor?
The DME does temperature correction using the temp sensor in the AFM.

second...doesnt a MAF correct for temp automatically cause of the wire? thats why i was wondering why sharky has a temp sensor on it...is that just so he can let the dme know for whatever reason the dme wants to know...which goes back to the first question?
Tough one. You can stub the DME temperature input and just roll with the MAF, colder air has more mass per unit volume so you have something to work with. This seems to work OK for a modest temperature range. I do not think it works well for very hot days and I suspect the same is true for cool/cold.

cant you just use a wideband and the mafterburner and tune it untill your happy with the afrs along the revrange? and being able to tune the afrs like that can lead to watching EGT temps and messing with timing...ect....ect..to get the most power out of your na...or boosting.
Yeah you can do that, but that might get you only one environmental window where it runs right. I do not think the MAF conversion is linear over all normal temeratures (i.e. you correct it for 70F and it's wrong at 50F and 90F.) Humidity is also a question. That's why I was thinking ARC2 and a wideband, so you can dial in some corrections on the fly. I dimly recall the ARC2 had that feature.

-Joel.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:00 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Some of you have already heard about this, but pretty soon Lindsey Racing will carry a device that will correct the MAF voltage for temp changes. It's going to be an inexpensive device that goes between your MAF and piggyback or computer that will automagically correct the calibrated MAF voltage signal to compensate for temp changes. I believe this device will help a lot of people with MAFs on a lot of different types of cars. I will design it with some mechanical tuning functionality so that it may work with other systems besides the LR MAFs. At least that's my plan, but it's their product so they have final say in its function. This is the brainchild of Wes at Lindsey, he's a sharp fellow. I know there are varying opinions of Lindsey out there, but I like working with them because they are always open to new ideas and work toward enhancing the market. Don't have a set date on when this will be completed. I guess I'll have to try a pile of different MAFs on my car with it to test it. But the final product should completely address the temp variance in MAFs.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:36 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

I looked at the wiring diagram for a while, there is an IAT sensor within the stock AFM that uses pins 22 and 6. I am going to put in a IAT sensor (Bosch compatible) on pins 22 and 6 so that it will be able to correct for temp changes just like it does with the AFM.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:42 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I looked at the wiring diagram for a while, there is an IAT sensor within the stock AFM that uses pins 22 and 6. I am going to put in a IAT sensor (Bosch compatible) on pins 22 and 6 so that it will be able to correct for temp changes just like it does with the AFM.
Sounds like the most logical thing to do.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:46 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Well the problem is the temperatur correction factor won't be coded the same for the MAF as it is for the AFM. And since you can't get into the chip to change that, the logical solution becomes compensating the MAF voltage for temperature compensation like I mentioned above.

Aside from that, there are a few routines in the code where the stock air temp is polled/used, not everywhere. So there will still be a variance.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:52 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You know, if you would just stick a carburetor on your car you could avoid all these headaches!

Quick Reply: Ford MAF - 944NA official project thread