Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA maf - great results, and a question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 97 Posts

Actually yeah I have an AFM on my 4runner. Maybe the MR2 people, Celica GT crowd might have tried a swap. I think if you were curious about getting HP gains from switching to a MAF you'd want to look at sporty cars in greater numbers than the 944 that use the same sort of air meter and see what has been done.

Yes, I know MAF setups can deal with temp and humidity but since a MAF generally measures air mass by how much the air cools off a hot wire, where the AFM measures how wide the door is pushed open. Naturally cool air cools a hot wire more than hot air, and wet air more than dry air. The difference in cool/hot or dry/moist air's ability to move a spring loaded door is not as significant.

Sure you can use a temp signal to augment the MAF but a fair amount of software should be used to get the signals sorta close, a lot more than a MAF and a MAFterburner could do, IMO.

-Joel.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I think a lot of BMWs and older Miatas use the barn-door AFM. Other Mazdas and the Probe as well. You might look and see if anyone is getting gains from replacing the AFM on a Miata or MX6/Probe, my feeling is that it's not particularly restrictive and just replacing it with a MAF is not going to yield much
-Joel.
at WOT the AFM isn't very restrictive, someone measured it once and it was negligible...what seems to be the main benefit is part-throttle operation of the engine, where the AFM flap is covering half the intake area. when you have a MAF there instead with only a small wire in the way of the air more air will get in and the car should be more responsive at part-throttle.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:44 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Im not even running a Mafterburner on my setup yet, Just the split second ARC 2 and its been fine in all types of weather even snow. SOon I will have a wideband installed and some other things, I let you know how it goes, To get things exact then yea I would think maybe a little more is needed. But I dont think you would notice. Since your still dealing with the stock DME anyway, and those other facters wont make much of a diffence. Its not like no one has done this, Look at the turbo(951) guys, they swap out ALLL the time, same idea just no turbo.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:13 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been reading some of the 951 guys threads on this, and it gave me the impression that the AFM on a turbo car isn't the same as the AFM on an NA car....so the MAF kits that are out there won't work on an NA car, cause they're all made to interact with the turbo DME and AFM.

Also, everything about converting to a MAF seems pretty straight forward. I just don't know how to make the DME know whats going on. If the DME reads the MAF the same as the AFM, then this is definatly the way to go.

Can someone clear that up the DME input for me?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on this, or a full write up somewhere?
Old 03-01-2009, 03:06 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m73m95
I've been reading some of the 951 guys threads on this, and it gave me the impression that the AFM on a turbo car isn't the same as the AFM on an NA car....so the MAF kits that are out there won't work on an NA car, cause they're all made to interact with the turbo DME and AFM.

Also, everything about converting to a MAF seems pretty straight forward. I just don't know how to make the DME know whats going on. If the DME reads the MAF the same as the AFM, then this is definatly the way to go.

Can someone clear that up the DME input for me?
apparently, the late AFM reads air intake in a linear fashion like a MAF does, whereas an early is logarithmic in its computations.

i will be doing this soon once i get a late DME and let you know how it goes as a plug-in, just swapping the AFM for MAF (no wideband or tuner or anything).
Old 03-01-2009, 03:16 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Wow Spencer... This is an older thread. I almost forgot about it.

Did you ever find a late DME?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:23 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

ive come across several but they are so damn expensive i havent picked one up yet...

i just dont have the $100 to spare, but im working on it...i cant find a job here at school because no one that is within walking distance (read: 5 miles lol) of school is hiring and the only places i can think of that might actually be hiring are an hour's busride each way(20 minutes by car, but i dont have it yet )
Old 03-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
ive come across several but they are so damn expensive i havent picked one up yet...

i just dont have the $100 to spare, but im working on it...i cant find a job here at school because no one that is within walking distance (read: 5 miles lol) of school is hiring and the only places i can think of that might actually be hiring are an hour's busride each way(20 minutes by car, but i dont have it yet )
Spencer:

1. PM me your email address so I can hook you up with the guy who runs the tutoring centre. That's walkable if you're the sort of person who doesn't mind walking.

2. Get your car up here so you can look around in a bit wider area.

3. http://careers.ucr.edu/Students/jobs.htm

4. There's a small list of minor body/interior stuff on my car that I wouldn't mind paying you to do. It's mostly stuff I was planning on doing myself, but you're short of money and I'm short of time, so that works.

What I can think of off the top of my head: Idle rate needs some fine tuning. Sunroof's frozen shut (Think it's the motor or that little plastic gear). Rear hatch latches need to be either unstuck or replaced so they work consistently. Passenger-side mirror controls don't work in all directions (I'm considering possibly going to 968 door handles and wing mirrors...).

There might be some other stuff you can spot as well. I don't mind if it's trivial. My plan is the ls1 swap, a show-quality paint job, and whatever minor work is needed to bring it from 'good' to 'pristine' condition... this means that any minor fixes it's going to need eventually anyway can be moved up in the queue.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
apparently, the late AFM reads air intake in a linear fashion like a MAF does, whereas an early is logarithmic in its computations.
No. Every AFM I've seen is a curve. And pretty much every MAF is a curve as well. I don't think I've ever seen a 'linear output' MAF.

The turbo AFM is different then the NA one, but that is easy enough to change the transfer function on chip to use either.

-Rogue
Old 03-01-2009, 04:50 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
No. Every AFM I've seen is a curve. And pretty much every MAF is a curve as well. I don't think I've ever seen a 'linear output' MAF.

The turbo AFM is different then the NA one, but that is easy enough to change the transfer function on chip to use either.

-Rogue
oh, okay. i was going by what i had read on wilk's site, but i may have misunderstood. regardless, i will try this hopefully soon and let you all know how it works. as for fine tuning i will be attempting to use the FQS for what i can and that hopefully will be all it will take.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:03 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

So Rogue, have you read this thread? To your knowledge, is it possible to just hook up a Ford Contour MAF to our cars, and have it run correctly? Meaning, nothing would have to be done to the DME.... maybe just some adjusting of the FQS or maybe adjusting the fuel pressure at the regulator to get the correct mixture?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:20 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

thats exactly what ill be trying lol
Old 03-01-2009, 07:26 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys,take a look at this
Old 03-01-2009, 08:03 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
So Rogue, have you read this thread? To your knowledge, is it possible to just hook up a Ford Contour MAF to our cars, and have it run correctly? Meaning, nothing would have to be done to the DME.... maybe just some adjusting of the FQS or maybe adjusting the fuel pressure at the regulator to get the correct mixture?
No it is too rich at idle. You would need a piggyback for sure. I have tried it. The best one I have tried is the audi/vw turbo unit but it is still too rich at idle. It worked ok with a blower but no way it would work with NA

Quick Reply: NA maf - great results, and a question?