Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOGGAMNIT!! Cracked windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have comprehensive insurance on the car? Some policies allow for windshield replacement with no deductible.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike C.
Do you have comprehensive insurance on the car? Some policies allow for windshield replacement with no deductible.
Unfortunately, no. It will be out of pocket. It is nice when you have the coverage and need to use it. Kind of sucks when you need it and don't have it. I hate insurance companies almost as much as I hate lawyers - I don't like giving either of them my money.

Hell - I paid $1000 for the car. How much should I spend each year on insurance?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go liability only on my 944's as well. The money the insurance company pays back on the cars when they are totaled is not worth paying the extra premium in my mind. I think I have about $2000 in each of my cars so the $300 per year for liability is pretty much all I want to pay.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:55 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

team radio!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Considering the price difference in the two windshields, I say the non-antenna windshield is the way to go. Then you can either install a power antenna like the early cars had, which need new antenna masts every 3 days, or a generic fixed antenna from autozone or ebay (the long, narrow, wobly kind, or the short, thicker kind). Or of course you can do the 968 antenna conversion. I know that some VWs used the exact same antenna as the 968, like the late Mk-II gti. Look around, I'm sure a similar antenna from any car will work if you get it installed well. If I ever need to perform this conversion, I'd keep going to junk yards and ebay looking for antennas similar to the 968's.

It's cool having a 968 - it comes with 968 mirrors, door handles, antenna, and wing.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
team radio!
Now I get it!

We weren't playing the radio at the Fest, you know! Maybe I'll just ditch the tuner and just keep playing the tunes...
Old 09-28-2006, 05:31 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott. Unfortuanetly i am in the same exact boat with my '89. if anyone has any info that could help us it would be greatly apreciated.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Call your local glass company or autoglass supplier and get a non-antenna late model windshield. They are made, just make sure they get you the LATE model one. Specify this a few times to make sure they get it right. The cost of these runs around $200 installed from all of the glass companies by me. I ran without a radio for over a year (i have a MP3/CD deck)..the antenna windshield replacement is expensive at over $400 everywhere i checked last year when i replaced my cracked windshield. If you have a friend that works at a shop or you a dealer account, you can probably get the windshield even cheaper.. betwen $150-175..but ofcourse you will need to put it in by yourself. Its not very difficult but there is a bit of a learning curve.

The most easy solution to get radio again is to then goto Pepboys or whatever autostore is in your area and buy a window mounted stick on antenna. I wired this thing from the back of the reciever, up the passengerside a-pillar and under the headliner..all wires are out of sight. I then mounted the stick on antenna just under the top edge of the windshield, above the rearview mirror. Its about 8 inches long but is completley out of sight in driving and non-obstrusive. Cost is only $15-20 also. Radio reception is no better or worse than it was with the antenna embeded in the windshield.

This is the particular model of windshield they got me, after they ordered the early style non-antenna windshield (which isnt even close to fitting right).

I can get a picture of the antenna hookup if you want aswell.

Glass insurance is very nice, but it raises the insurance rates up alot. My sister had glass insurance on her '00 Jeep Cherokee. She used to park it in Manhattan often before she decided to leave it parked at home. I think ever single pane of glass on that car was broken with the exception of the rear hatch. People would literally brake the window, the ridiculously loud alarm would go off and they ran away. The rear glass (rear doors and trunk area) had a factory limo tint and was a pain in the *** because the glass companies NEVER ordered the tinted glass the first time. Anyway it got to the point where the rear glass kept getting broken that she left a note in the window saying "Please break the non-tinted glass, tinted glass is very inconvienent to order and replace".
Old 09-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Mike951
Drifting

i have an antenna windshield from an 1987 944 i parted out.. i just cut the whole window out while it was still in the frame.. so its good for shipping if you are interested in getting it shipped from NJ

-keith
Old 09-28-2006, 07:12 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I was quoted 170 installed for my 951 with out antenna
Old 09-28-2006, 08:07 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

hey techno duck, could you post pics of that antenna install? Thanks!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

How much for a brand new early windshield? Mine is pretty bad.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:47 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Camaro_Muncher
How much for a brand new early windshield? Mine is pretty bad.
try xsboost90. he has a steal of a deal on a early windshield for someone.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:39 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the best idea is to get a non-antenna windshield from a late car & then add a 968 style antenna- the windshield antennas were really cool, but didn't work as well as normal ones- from what I understand, reception is much better w/the 968 style & it looks much better than early-style non-windshield antennas. Plus, as has already been said- VW used the same small rear-mounted antenna as 968- I think you can get them for close to $50- even if you paid to have it installed, by the time everything is said & done, you'd still come out cheaper for all of it, than just the cost of the antenna-windshield alone, plus, you'll have much better reception & some people actually like the look of that little antenna...

Also, it would be cool of you to change the title of your post, slightly- I couldn't care less about foul-language- I use plenty of it. But as you know, this is an open-forum & combining that language w/God, well, it can upset some people. No offense intended- I can understand the frustration of such a situation.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Jon - great advice. I did some calling around yesterday and found the best deal at $198 (installed). Part is the same as the one you show in the photo (PPG FW (foreign window) 360) without antenna. If I want the antenna, it's $500. Hardly seems worth it, now does it? The Pep Boys alternative sounds reasonable.

Who can post a picture of the 968 antenna? I can't visualize what that looks like.

Camaro - early windshields should be a little bit less than the later ones. You might do a seach on "Auto Glass" in Mapquest for the shops near you. I called about 7 or 8 different places yesterday to find the best deal.

Quick Reply: DOGGAMNIT!! Cracked windshield!