Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 DE instructors

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 12:22 AM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 DE instructors

I recently completed my first DE at the Gle (I've done a number of events at Lime Rock prior to this). My instructor was absolutely terrific, a real 944 guy (his track car is a 944S). and we had great time together.

At the end of the event I thanked the chairperson for teaming me up with someone with a similar car, another instructor overheard this and kinda gruffly said that it didn't matter.

Perhaps not, but I would be interested in opinions of others on this.
'88 944NA
Stone grey
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2005, 12:22 AM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

Duh, Glen, not "Gle"

Me spell good
Old 09-19-2005, 12:27 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It is great when you get an instructor that knows our cars. (They need to be driven a bit different then 911s )
Old 09-19-2005, 12:32 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had a great instructor at putnam. He watched what i was doing, gave me some pointers and reminded me politely how to handle things. Many others are yelling and waving arms etc. He didnt have a 944-(993 i think)- but he commented how well the car was doing and signed me off the first day.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 164 Posts

We try to match instructors up with similar cars where possible in the Chicago Region. For example, I most often instruct in 944/968 variants. The obvious benefits are riding with someone in a similar car from a feel, behaviour, preferred line, and horsepower standpoint.

That said, I've had my share of students in 914's, all flavors of 911's, etc. I think a 944 instructor will bring biggest value to you, but do not overlook riding with ANY really good driver that you can. I find you can learn a bit from everyone of them. Bloody pearls of wisdom out there everywhere, so be very open to this.

I'm very partial to the car you have, my former car was also a Stone Grey '88 NA. I miss that car.

Anyway, take the opportunity to grab an admired instructor for a quick "best tips" session, even after you've been doing this for a long while. Same applies from above, you'll grab a new pearl of wisdom and pick up some speed in unexpected places.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While its not a huge deal, I definitely think it matters. Back when I was a student I enjoyed having an instructor than had the same car, and as an instructor, I feel I am able to give a student some of the "tricks" to driving a 944 Turbo. Because I have lived with the car, I know its quirks.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:47 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

My first DE, I had a 951 driver as an instructor. I was hoping to get the instructor I had gotten to know a little bit before hand, a 911 driver. Once I was out on track, the 951 instructor gave me lots of confidence. Not constant chat, but frequent verbal cues, with immediate feedback on how I handled things. It was really a blast, probably very similar to the experience you just had at the Glen.

I later had the 911 driver ride along after I was cleared for solo time. He was either uncomfortable with my car or my driving, as he requested I keep thing at about 80% of the pace I had been going the rest of the weekend. I was still able to learn a heck of a lot from him, not everything can be learned at 9.7/10ths. And riding with him in his basically bone stock ~80s SC on R comps and 5pt harnesses was something else. My chest HURT after a 15 minute drive. Never felt forces like that in any car before.

So yes Bill, I agree with your comment. I think an instructor with a similar car can help break the ice and get things more comfortable earlier. But if I get assigned to an instructor that drives an Integra Type R, I won't loose any sleep.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:50 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There was a long thread in racing & DE forum about instructor car type and which car they instruct in.

I for one believe that for basic novice instruction it does not mater at all what kind of car your instructor drives. When it comes to basic track skills it is all the same be it front, rear, or mid engine or even front or rear wheel drive.

I have instructed students in 944's, 951, boxster, 914, 911 (all variants) and don't do anything different.

However if you have solid intermediate driver that is looking for more. Then matching the instructor's car to driver's car can be helpful. For example if someone has 944-spec or spec type car and want to learn all the little speed tricks then I can teach them quite a bit. Most 911 guys would not have a clue. The thing is 75% of students are just looking for the basics and it does not mater what car the instructor drives. It still does make a difference if the instructor is good communucator. That is really the big key. The instructor does not even need to be really fast. They do need to be able to communicate the key points to you in such a way to make you feel comfortable and so that you can learn them.

There are times when student and instructor are just not on same wavelength. I those cases the student should see another instructor.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Z-man
Race Director

I've typically had both 944 drivers and 911 drivers as instructors. IMHO, it doesn't really make much of a difference, especially at the beginner level.

While I run in the upper run groups (Black), and don't 'need' an instructor, I make it a point to have an instructor out for a ride at least once during an event (I average 2 instructors PER DE, BTW). Here are some things I've learned regarding instructors:

1. The instructors that have experience with more than one model are better instructors. If all they've driven is a 944, or a 911, then their experience is limited to how that car drives on the track. I think the key to instructing is to understand not only how a certain car model behaves, but the dynamics of how other cars behave. Those instructors who have experience with multiple models have the edge.

2. Different instructors will teach you different techniques. While the techniques may differ, that doesn't mean that one is right and one is wrong. There are different lines and different braking techniques and such that the instructors will teach you. A club racer will tend to show you a line that is a more 'defensive' line, since he's used to protecting his spot in the corners. A DE-only instructor will teach you a more traditional late apex line, since that's often the safest line. My advise - when an instructor is showing you something that's different than what you've been told before, don't fight him with that technique: try it, and follow his instruction while he's in your car. Use it, and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, no harm, no foul. If it does work, then you've found a line that is better than what you've been taught.

3. Develop your own techniques based on your instruction. Don't be afraid to experiement out there, but don't go hog wild with that concept. Probably 90% of what all the different instructors teach you will be the same, no matter who's sitting next to you. If you want to experiment with a different braking point, or different line, do so, but stay within a close 'margin' of what you've been taught.

Just my $0.42,
-Z.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:53 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Bill;

Welcome to the Family! I agree with most everyone else. At the novice level, it doesn't matter. Even at the intermediate level, good instructors know what is going on with the car and driver, and can clue you in if you don't know yourself! Only when you reach the advanced intermediate level does car-specific instruction become noticeably valuable.

I know for a fact that trying to work with an advanced student in a car I am not familiar with is a challenge. In a sense, we are both learning together what is needed to make the car work. Is this good or bad? In some sense, it may slow down the process for the student. On the other hand, I may ask them to try things that a 911 guy might not have thought of. In the end, the successful student keeps a completely open mind, and will reason that ALL information - even if incorrect or less than helpful - is knowledge!

I took a customer's 944 Turbo to an event recently, and it was informative as heck. I know that I am not "up to speed" on what makes a turbo tick, at least as far as my driving, but I also gained some insights that will help in the future. I also have gained some valuable info from instructing other models that I have tried and use in my own 944. It's all about having a full bag of tricks!

Absolutely, grab as many passengers and rides as you can stand. If you are unsure, go to the chief instructor and ask for an appropriate reference from him for whom you might get to sit in with you to work on whatever level "problem" you are encountering. They will pair you with someone of proper knowledge.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:06 PM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies! Its always good to hear various points o' view.
I have had some excellent instrucors at Lime Rock who drove everything from 968s to 996s.
It may just been my first time at the Glen that I was glad to have a 944 guy to show me how to get the most out of my car and somewhat limited skills.

I am quick becoming a DE Junkie.

BTW, John, my instructor was Ed H from CNY!
Love to all,

Bill
88NA stone grey (the one in the photo)
Old 09-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 164 Posts

Bill - Two last thoughts:

1) It will help to pick the brains of other "momentum car" folks, be they drivers or instructors. Making good lap times with 158 hp is a great way to learn excellent skills. Very satisfying when you are lapping faster than cars that co$t 2-3 times as much and have more horsepower. 914's, very early 911's, and all NA 944's are good picks. One of the fastest guys in our region drivers a very early 911 and just flat out flies.

2) Further to John's comment above, one can pick on specific things to work on and get a well-informed recommendation from your Chief Instructor. Best in braking, trail-braking, high-speed sweepers, carousels, etc. I've found that most folks don't mind taking a few laps with someone and quickly pointing out one or two changes that become parts of the puzzle. The Chief Driving Instructor will likely have some ideas and suggestions.

Now, the bad news... It's time to say hello to that DE monkey on your back. He requires care and feeding to the tune of $$$$ each year in entrance fees, tires, brake pads, maintenance, etc. He is there forever once you're hooked. Just accept it, be safe, and have fun!

Quick Reply: 944 DE instructors