Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

West Coast Wrenchers' Waterpump get together!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 09:06 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb West Coast Wrenchers' Waterpump get together 9/04

Brian/Beeg, you get your wish! Many of us will be getting together, and we'll be seeing what else needs to be done to my car (OTHER THAN HAVING A SCREW LOOSE). Waterpump in hand, ready to slap on, with other goodies.

We fooled around with my car, but we sorely needed more jackstands, so no one was allowed under her with just the floor jack.

So, Kelly & Don helped Frank with the rebuilding clutch & rear end on the other 944, and such.

Jeff & his wife came by.

Well, we've all been working on, waiting for the Clubhouse to get finished, and I must say - it looks outstanding, people!!

But as of 15 minutes ago, just ran into a MAJOR snag - my boyfriend & I were getting ready to go to obtain him another cellphone, when I looked down, and saw antifreeze dripping from under the passenger front. I told him to hold on, and I popped the hood open - and looked straight down from the water pump, and she's LEAKING, even sitting there!! I touched it, and got antifreeze all over my fingertips, from around the hose.

Is it the hose, or the Waterpump!? Well, it's ran all down the timing belt cover, and considering we NEVER replaced the waterpump in 2 years - we suspect it's either the #1 or #2 waterpump in the car.

Ergo, I think it's done for. Won the bet, Frank - lasted longer than 2 YEARS!! Actually, everything on this car lasted longer than you said. To be fair, we had a bet going on this car - how long would the parts (outside of the clutch), last? Figured the headgasket & waterpump would go long before now. That is why I keep an eyeball on the temperature like I do!

I think the bearings just WORE out. I'm not completely sure if the little hose conversion wore out too, but really seems unlikely, still has spring to it. I guess I should fill it up, then turn it on, looking to see if it's pouring out the weephole or the hose itself.

Anyway, providing it's proven to be the WATERPUMP, need to call a Get together ahead of schedule! Wasn't planning on it, but Kijo just misses everyone, and you know how these cars looove being the center of attention! I figure I'd go ahead and pick up a thermostat too, just to be on the safe side.

Would next weekend work out for everyone? I was thinking my place, downstairs is pretty open, unless we need air tools. We have one small air compressor here.

Any ideas? My boyfriend's car is down, and may have to switch him over to a Porsche too, if it can't be brought back to life.

- Julie

Last edited by Devia; 08-29-2005 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should be able to show up, even with a clanging transmission..

Don

EDIT : OH HELL, where is my brain... we are having a huge BBQ on Saturday ...
I'm in Ramona.
Anyway, should be able to make it Sunday.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:47 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

??????

bumpty bump
Old 08-17-2005, 04:16 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be able too. I have a slightly used pump with brand new gasket and plastic neck thing and a couple o rings I would donate to the cause if that helps, since I didn't put any effort into the clubhouse. (Sorry frank!)
MY car is on hold, needs a bit of work, not too bad though... I'm buying a civic, probably this weekend.
~Eyal
Old 08-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Eyal - thanks, that would help me SOOOO MUCH!!

I'm trying to get help to put her up on jacks, and make sure there's no other nasty surprises...what concerns me is her leaking, with her sitting STILL, after cooling off overnight. Leads me to think the following, or a combo:

1) pump housing cracked
2) clamp on the hose cut into the hose - it was leaking on the metal side THERE, or accumulating there!

I don't want to think of the third possibility. I have to move her in half an hour, so I'm going to pour distilled water, and bring her up to running temp, and see where she leaks from above!

- Julie
Old 08-17-2005, 08:14 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Julie, how's the neck? Can't remember, was it spinal stenosis or herniated disc?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Schedule me as tenative, don't know if I have to do open house.

Eyal, a civic? How much? If you want a daily driver, you can have the inside line for my Volvo 740 Turbo. It has working AC is as fast as a NA 944. You can get an MBC and some new cheap injectors from an 850 and crank the boost up to 14 psi easy. I am running 7 psi stock right now.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:49 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to say I'm in but it really depends what parts show up before the weekend. The Profec/Tial install has to be completed this weekend, and the K27/6 is over due by a week already.

I'm anxious to BS with the gang again and check out the work everyone has done on their cars over the summer and to see the sprawling new resort.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

I'm trying to figure out where to do this - Frank, your place?

I've had to limp the car out of my neighborhood, NO WAY here now, EVER. I'm a witness to a Gangbanger crime, frontrow seat, and it all came down while I was putting water in her.

The police told me to hide my car, and NEVER put her on the street again. Roommate is being an ***.

No one has helped me determine if it's a hose, waterpump, housing.

So, I NEED those items!

I guess I need to limp her over to Frank's, or where she's at in Sta Ana.

I'm still freaking - they said they probably had guns...just don't do the guns in broad daylight. THe lead car, a Toyota Solara had MLC - Moe, Larry, & Curly in the plates, I wrote it down, and just spazzed, when they pointed at ME.

I have got to find a job, been jobless for nearly a year. Been trying to get to the doc for a month, but **** keeps happening, and I can't even get to my storage locker while it's open.

Feeling like I'm on the Truman Show, and the only one nice to me that keeps calling is this Grandmother who somehow Radio Shack gave her a phone with my phone number inside, to retrieve her voicemail!

I called everyone I knew for help yesterday...and my roommate thinks I'm over reacting. One of the witnesses to them peeling out of the parking lot assured me they aren't from the complex, but were from somewhere else. ****, I just thought they were getting Ice Cream at the Baskin Robbins, after playing Baseball at the Park, I'm such an idiot!

- Julie
Old 08-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Note: Roommate being an ***, because DURING an Emergency situation, he won't even let me park my car in the garage, even though WE have paid the majority of the rent.

My boyfriend & I need to move, but I don't have a job, and we have been given 60 day Notice to move. Eviction will probably be started now.

We are NOT wanted, we need to MOVE, and I just keep looking for PAYING work, and nothing pans out.

Sorry, just need a home, and head spinning.

- Julie
Old 08-18-2005, 09:53 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Julie
Bring your boyfriend over to the Sofitel on Sun 4Sep and I'll shout you lunch. We can talk art and cars!
Hope things work out.
Are jobs that difficult to find in LA?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll make it an occasion to make this one - I wasn't able to come hang drywall last time so I guess I'm on the "slacker" list that needs to atone.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

so, this is still on ???

Sorry to hear the latest Devia, I can relate to some of what you are going through.

Chin up , the wolf will be appearing forthwith... ( pulp Fic )

I need directions. Or just an address.

1 of 5 GPS systems should get me there ( or is it 6 )

Don

Devia, PMing you cell # to distribute etc ...
Old 08-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You guys can come over and have a BBQ and wrench if you want. I have to work on a 944 doing everything from rear suspension replacement to clutch, timing/balance shaft belt, seats, and so forth. Bring food and tools as I don't have all my stuff there yet.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

So what weekend is it? Due to rising inventories all the houses my dad is trying to unload are quasi-off the market, so that frees up more time to mess with cars.

I can bring assorted tools, including a flywheel lock, thin wrench to adjust the tensioner and my labor.

Quick Reply: West Coast Wrenchers' Waterpump get together!