Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are some Rock-esque moves you've pulled?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, here's a fun one...I was taking a special driver's education (not a driver's special education) called "Master Drive" when I was going to get my license. For the first part of the course, it's on a closed circuit, and they set up obstacles for you to go thru, like a slalom, skid pad, etc. Anyway, at the skid pad, the goal was to teach you how to manage a slide. I was in my mom's Pontiac Grand Prix, and since it had the pedal parking brake, I was the one to induce the skid, instead of the driving instructor. Anyway, when he told me to hit the brake, instead of controling the skid, I induced a massive spin. I think I managed at LEAST a 540 degree spin. He looked at me and said "You did that all wrong." and I simply replied "I know, I wanted to see how much this bitch will spin!" He laughed and I got to try it again, but this time, I successfully controlled the slide.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:33 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have more.
I was about 19. I had a 1977 Z28, 350 4 speed.
I had a fight with my girlfriend and dropped her off in front of her house. I was really mad and wanted to make a smokin' getaway so I revved it up to around 5 grand and dumped the clutch. The u-joint on the driveshaft broke immediately and the car moved maybe six inches. No big burnout, just a loud bang. I had to go into her house to call a tow truck while she laughed at me.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:39 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pete944
I have more.
I had a fight with my girlfriend and dropped her off in front of her house. I was really mad and wanted to make a smokin' getaway so I revved it up to around 5 grand and dumped the clutch. The u-joint on the driveshaft broke immediately and the car moved maybe six inches. No big burnout, just a loud bang. I had to go into her house to call a tow truck while she laughed at me.
DING DING DING, We have a winner!!!!!
Old 12-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Pete,

I can top that.

Eight of us left a party to get pizza. I had the bird and another guy who had no interest in cars or girls (as we later found out) had a cuda like car.

we were pulling out to get pizza and I gave the car gas, as I was passing him the rusty throttle cable snapped. I had to coast to the curb, put it in neutral to back it up at idle to the house we came from and we all piled into the plymouth. The next day I had to take my beetle to pick up the cable and get a ride from my friends mom to the car so I could get it home.

And how the hell did you get a brand new Z28? Back in 77 you were the IT man! Frampton comes alive on the 8 track, four speakers in the car, a spoiler. You had it all, then you had to ruin it all/shoot yourself in the foot, and marry the homecoming queen!
Old 12-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
OUCH! break any bones? didja recover well?
No broken bones but it hurt like heck. I jacked it up so quick it only left impression and red marks, nothing more. EL STUPIDO!
Old 12-14-2004, 02:50 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have more.
Thats just Murpheys Law kicking you in the nuts
Old 12-14-2004, 02:51 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have more.
Good thing it didn't happen while you were doing a spiteful lawn job on her front lawn...........
Old 12-14-2004, 03:14 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Good thing it didn't happen while you were doing a spiteful lawn job on her front lawn...........
That would've really sucked.

Tom it was back in either 1979 or 1980. The Z was around 3 years old. It was the "Vinyl tape stripe" edition Z-28. It did have a cassette player though! My '68 Mustang just had an AM radio and an FM converter! Remember those?

I have pics of those cars somewhere. I need to scan them and post them.

The driveshaft on that POS Z28 broke another time after that. I hated that damn car.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I live on top of a fairly large hill, with a HUGE intersection at the bottom where it levels, then continues downhill. Well, if I was about halfway down the hill and the light turned green (when I was in the Maxima...I would NEVER do this in my Porsche...) I'd floor the throttle and try to go thru the intersection at around 60-70 MPH. If done succesfully, You can, and would easily get air.

Another time in the Maxima, I took it up skiing, (Pete, this could be something for you to try ) and didn't notice it was a blackout date for my pass.... Well, I was pissed, because I drove up there, got geared up, got to the lift, and they told me no (the resort is a good 70 miles from my home) and I just had to turn around and go back... So, not having money to buy a ticket that day, I steamed back to the Maxima, tossed all my gear in, got in, and started doing reverse donuts in the parking lot until I saw security on their way over, then I left. Reverse donuts ROCK!

They're more fun in the Porsche though...I do often enjoy getting to the Mall I work at early enough in the mornings when it snowed that I can do a couple rounds of "Brodies" and still make it to work on time...
Old 12-14-2004, 03:23 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of my friends were out one night also doing lawn jobs, when they went to a house up the street from my friend. There were 4 of them in his dad's 70's oldsmobile convertable. They got on the lawn, spun a few doghnuts, and some lights came on, so they took off. HE wasn't the best off-road driver, so he gave too much gas, and spun the car off the curb, and bashed a rear wheel on the curb. There was mud all over behind the rear wheels and now, the car started acting funny. They drove about 3 blocks and stopped to check out the damage. Of course, a cop pulls up when they are doing this and asks if they'd seen anyone flying up the backroads. Without missing a beat, my firend replies "They just ran us off the road and drove that way" and pointed down the street. The cop took off and they drove the car home and got out of there really quickly.

I was out with a bunch of friends one night water-ballooning in my dad's Audi 200 20V Turbo. We usually used cookie dough, but waterballoons work as well. This time, we rounded a corner and 4 water balloons come flying out around me - sunroof and windows - onto a Lincoln Navigator. Well, now I see the guy whip the SUV around and try to chase me. CRAP! I thought a car that'd do a 6 sec. 0-60 would have lost that thing a little better. We took about 4 turns and he was still on my *** - of course I'm in one of the most cop-watched areas, so I head toward the city where they don't care. Well, I get the idea to slow down a little (the top Gun approach) and sure enough he comes up next to me as I slam on the breaks and turn right - I floored it and he was long gone! I loved that car.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:23 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

77 was a cool "in-between" year of the z-28. It had the new rear window but the olderstyle bumpers. I had a 78 and a 79 z-28. Was yours that silver-gold color with black vinyl stripes?
Old 12-14-2004, 03:27 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Of course, a cop pulls up when they are doing this and asks if they'd seen anyone flying up the backroads. Without missing a beat, my firend replies "They just ran us off the road and drove that way" and pointed down the street.

I one had the car jacked up using only the spare tire jack. I needed to take the wheel off to pop the center cap out. Well, the jack started to bend and before I could a jackstand under there it just fell over and the car fell down on the rear rotor. no damage, just had to lug the floor jack over and get it off the ground.

Luckily my hand wasn't there
Old 12-14-2004, 03:29 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tifosiman
77 was a cool "in-between" year of the z-28. It had the new rear window but the olderstyle bumpers. I had a 78 and a 79 z-28. Was yours that silver-gold color with black vinyl stripes?
Black with red/orange stripes. '77's had the vinyl decal on the hood in the shape of the 1978 hood scoop.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Ok. One more before I get back to studying...

This wasn't a boneheaded manuver of mine, but moreso of my friends riding with me... I was late to a basketball game at my high school...I had one of the color gaurds in the Max with me, and she needed to be there on time, so I was speeding. I was 18 at the time, and had just bought cigars for my friends and I. Well, I got pulled over. As soon as the cherries and berries came on behind us, the people in the back seat decided to hide the cigars, thinking they'd get in deep trouble for having them. the guy in the front seat decides he's gonna put his seat belt on. All of that commotion in the car, the cop sees, of course. He thought they were hiding drugs, so he pulls everyone but myself out of the car, and calls in reinforcements. I'm sitting there, I turned off the car, and was very cooperative.

Also, we'd just stolen a road cone that was hiding in the trunk...

So the police officer comes up, watching the other 3 on the curb.

PO: "License and Registration please"
Me: Gladly...I've gotta reach into my back pocket for the license, and into the glove box for my registration
PO: "Have you been drinking tonight?"
Me: No Sir
PO:"Are there any drugs in the car?"
Me: Not that I know of sir.
PO: "What do you mean 'Not that you know of?' This is YOUR car, YOU are the driver, YOU are responsible for what goes on in this car. Now, I ask again, ARE THERE ANY DRUGS IN THE CAR?"
Me: No sir
PO: "May I search the car to validate your statement?"
Me: Yeah, sure.

Meanwhile, the backup arrived, searched EVERY OTHER OCCUPANT in the car. did the whole pat down thing, emptied the pockets, etc. They of course found the cigars, but no drugs, or anything else. He also didn't look in the trunk, so he didn't find the stolen road cone.

The officer finishes searching the car
PO: "Well, I found nothing. Thank you for your cooperation"
Me: No problem Officer
PO: "I pulled you over for speeding. I clocked you at 48 in a 35."
Me: Yes sir. we are late for the basketball game
PO: "Well, go ahead to the game. SLOW DOWN"
Me: Yes sir (while shaking, this was my first time being pulled over)

We arrive to the game about half an hour late, and because we were LITERALLY 2 blocks from school, everyone going to the game saw us pulled over, and my friends being searched. We snuck in the back way to the game to avoid recieving a standing ovation (it prolly would have happened).
We went to the Color Gaurd practice room, and just about EVERYONE came up and asked the story...

One of the not-so-fond memories of the Maxima... and I didn't get a ticket
Old 12-14-2004, 03:51 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Oh geez I got quite a few of these.

One thursday night after football practice a friend was taking me home in his 89 Honda Accord, there is a back road to my house that is pretty hilly and was freshly chip 'n seeled. I don't know what we were thinking but whe hit the first hill at a little over 110mph and went airborn. When we landed, the wheels where pointed to the left (right at a telephone pole) and we managed to go into the ditch and back onto the road still silding everywhere. We stopped, thanked god and went on our way.

Quick Reply: What are some Rock-esque moves you've pulled?