Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUCH!!! this is what is called having a BAD DAY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OUCH!!! this is what is called having a BAD DAY!!!!

Under recent BC Legislation, if you are deemed to be "street racing", the feds can seize the car... and probably make a case to auction it off or gulp - maybe even worse... I think he'll get it back with a slap on the wrist. Hope so anyway.

So think twice before you do the triple digit speeds on public roads guys! (BTW, what the heck is a 1995 Porsche 911 CVT anyway??)
Old 09-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Thats pathetic. 200 km/h isnt that fast. Guess the vancouver police is bored.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:42 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, whose got their km/h to mph converter handy???
Old 09-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The West Vancouver Police likes Porsches. Maybe they should get 997s to replace their current fleet.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:46 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

since 100km/h = 62 MPH, 200km/h ~ 124 MPH
Old 09-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They were asking for it, that's just outside of town.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a side note, two people were racing on one of the roads here in Chicago last night. The occupants of one vehicle are now in the hospital fighting for their lives. The car went off the road and into the trees, looked like a bad impact. When will people learn that their behaviour is not acceptable? Thankfully the car that went off did so avoiding hitting a car full of people rather than just hitting that car.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:58 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt H
On a side note, two people were racing on one of the roads here in Chicago last night. The occupants of one vehicle are now in the hospital fighting for their lives. The car went off the road and into the trees, looked like a bad impact. When will people learn that their behaviour is not acceptable? Thankfully the car that went off did so avoiding hitting a car full of people rather than just hitting that car.
My senior year we had 8 kids from my HS die, including one of my friends. Apparently people will never learn. If you're found guilt of street racing, you should have your license revoked for a year, and have your insurance rates tripled for 5.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:21 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here in OH i'm pretty sure that you do loose your license for a year already, I know for a fact it's that way in KY. I think it should depend on the situation more so that it does. A guy I worked with a while back was fighting to keep his license, he had his signal on to get into the curb lane to make his turn up ahead. He was going opposite to a cop from a red light, never broke the speed limit at all(he saw the cop already before the light changed), leaped ahead of traffic and made his turn. The cop pulled him over shortly after.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

this is the only event where'd I'd actually haul as much *** as I could to get away from the cops if I had a Carrera GT, but this guy was just plain stupid to bring that to a street race. I bet he's either gonna commit suicide or break into the impound lot to steal it, buy it back or most likely move on with his pathetic life

Andy
Old 09-26-2004, 07:31 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally Posted by Matt H
OK, where are all the people now saying street racing/triple digits on the street is ok as long as it's safe? They should chime in here. IMHO, street racing is never safe and here is a perfect example.

As far as the CGT goes, that car already has a bullseye on it, what was he thinking? I hope they don't crush it...
Old 09-26-2004, 07:34 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

haha i bet the cops didnt drive that carrera around the block either
Old 09-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

no way to get away here in WV - besides, only 1 (maybe 2) Carrera GT here in town so far. It's easy pickings on this highway as it basically goes to Whistler, or back to Vancouver over 2 bridges.

I'm sure the owner has no problem with the $$ fine, but he must have had a mental lapse cause there is a radar trap there virtually 5 out of 7 days. What gets me is that it looks like the 95 911 sped up to the Carrera GT after he passed the radar trap (maybe get a better look??) and missed the cop chasing the car!!!

And I dont think he was "street racing" he just suffered brain fade and punched it after passing the radar guys, thinking he might get away with it. 125 kph =~75 mph, in a 55 zone, so he should have just paid the $125 fine at that speed. You just dont get away from these guys on this road. It's easy pickings.

Hope the cops don't impound and seize the car for exceesive speed though - that would really suck! Hmm, I am told that they auction seized cars tho....
Old 09-26-2004, 08:38 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The newspaper article states they only lost the use of their cars for 48 hours. Wonder if the police will drive them.....
Old 09-26-2004, 09:28 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

It's not clear to me from the article that these guys were actually racing. The initial sighting at 125kph is only about 75mph. It sounds like the one fellow entered the highway, accelerated to almost 100mph (certainly illegal, but easy to do quickly in our cars) and the Carrera GT driver saluted back with a quick jump to 120mph (which probably takes no time at all in a car that fast). I doubt if they were actually racing in any real sense, and I'd be surprise if the Carrera GT driver was anywhere near the edge of losing control. Not to say that they should escape without a fine/hassle, but that doesn't necessarily sound like utter hooliganism to me.

Quick Reply: OUCH!!! this is what is called having a BAD DAY!!!!