Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUCH!!! this is what is called having a BAD DAY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004 | 06:14 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Street racing as defined by our local motor vehicle act has far too broad a definition. simply passing another vehicle constitues street racing by our new law.

I don't think their "lapse of judgement" in this case is as severe as some people make it out to be. I think it was blown out of proportion. If they had been "racing" they would have been going much faster than what they were clocked at. I think it was simply a case of being playful with each other but keeping it relativley safe, albiet still illegal. they were caught, and that's that.

It IS possible for two cars to be exceeding the speed limit side by side, but not be racing each other. it's all in the mentality of the driver. I think the two were more enjoying each other's company than trying to prove a point. Afterall, no one needs to PROVE that a $500,000cgt is faster than a 993Cab.

But I agree with one point: Wisdom, Maturity and Intelligence are not prerequistes for wealth..

Now two RICER'S street racing each other I think would have a different mentality. They want to show off for the girls, they are younger and far more ego driven, inexperienced, and will stop at nothing to prove thier Civic is faster than the other guys Integra.
Old 09-28-2004 | 06:24 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I guess I am done, I dont get it but I am done. I still love you like family but I cannot understand where you are coming from. My contention is correct, if this was two Civics you would think they were street racing but two Porsches doing the exact same thing is "spirited fun", I just dont see that grey area.

Your contention also points to a cop being able to know the mentality of two drivers. That is a pretty hard thing to know.
Old 09-28-2004 | 06:27 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

No.. I never said the cop would or should be able to tell the mentality. nor did I say it was legal. I'm just saying it can be done safely, and for people not to blow it out of proportion.

And yes, there is a big difference between inexperienced hot headed teenagers pushing thier ****boxes to the absolute limit on a city street, and two older experienced adults in much more capable vehicles having some casual fun.

Anyways, I'm done with it too.. I think we've beaten the horse well into the afterlife...
Old 09-28-2004 | 07:54 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

This is a big issue for the local PCA. I have done a number of tours with the PCA this summer. We often have 30 to 50 Porsches travelling together. They are usually very relaxed drives, but occasionally the speed may get as high as 20 mph over the legal limit (which is what the CGT was clocked at.) Under BC laws, the 30 Porsches out for a relaxed drive but exceeding the speed limit by any amount could be considered "street racing" and all subject to impoundment.

The law is directed at true street racing. A couple of years ago three cars were racing up a main street of Vancouver at night, side by side at about 85 mph in a 30 mph zone. One car (Boxster, coincidentally), hit and killed a pedestrian. These races are being organised "Fast & Furious" style for large amounts of cash. There have been numerous fatalities of drivers, passengers and innocent bystanders. I agree with the need for the law, but the very broad application of the definition of "street racing" is causing me concern.

Quick Reply: OUCH!!! this is what is called having a BAD DAY!!!!