Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUCH!!! this is what is called having a BAD DAY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's oh so easy to judge others when you are not in thier shoes.. I love how people can read a story and suddenly become judge jury and executioner. anyways...

Pro speeding rant: I agree that speed limits are there for a reason, but exceeding them does not mean you are suddenly a dangerous driver about to kill someone. it's not an on/off switch. speeding is NOT always the cause of crashes, like Lance said, police always add it in as a factor. The REAL cause of the crash is the dumbass behind the wheel - NOT how fast he was driving. You can loose control at the speed limit or below it if you are not paying attention, or if you're not skilled enough. But when it the crash happens above the speed limit, it's blamed directly on speed. Not driver skill, or comptetence, but speed. It's like speed is a scapegoat for the crimes of the stupid. If you're smart about it, you could speed excessively everyday without ever even coming close to hurting anyone. If you don't get that, i'm sorry I don't know how else to explain it.

But the fact that the owner(s) got CAUGHT proves that they in fact should not have been driving that fast on that stretch of road. The cop that radar'd them could have been a black bear or child running across the highway.

And please.. let's NOT compare inexperienced 16 year old kids dieing in speeding wrecks to middle age Porsche owners with a reasonable amount of track experience and excellent car control. Two different things. No disrespect meant to the dead.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Pro speeding rant: I agree that speed limits are there for a reason, but exceeding them does not mean you are suddenly a dangerous driver about to kill someone. it's not an on/off switch. speeding is NOT always the cause of crashes, like Lance said, police always add it in as a factor. The REAL cause of the crash is the dumbass behind the wheel - NOT how fast he was driving. You can loose control at the speed limit or below it if you are not paying attention, or if you're not skilled enough. But when it the crash happens above the speed limit, it's blamed directly on speed. Not driver skill, or comptetence, but speed. It's like speed is a scapegoat for the crimes of the stupid. If you're smart about it, you could speed excessively everyday without ever even coming close to hurting anyone. If you don't get that, i'm sorry I don't know how else to explain it.
Completely agree with you, Rich.
-Z.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:12 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Completely agree with you, Rich.
Er, uh, what he said.

Two characters...
Old 09-27-2004, 01:02 PM
SoonerE39
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. The cop that radar'd them could have been a black bear or child running across the highway.
I'll bet it's a bitch to clean up black bear off a carbon fiber car
Old 09-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's oh so easy to judge others when you are not in thier shoes.. I love how people can read a story and suddenly become judge jury and executioner. anyways...

The REAL cause of the crash is the dumbass behind the wheel - NOT how fast he was driving. You can loose control at the speed limit or below it if you are not paying attention, or if you're not skilled enough. But when it the crash happens above the speed limit, it's blamed directly on speed. Not driver skill, or comptetence, but speed. It's like speed is a scapegoat for the crimes of the stupid.

But the fact that the owner(s) got CAUGHT proves that they in fact should not have been driving that fast on that stretch of road. The cop that radar'd them could have been a black bear or child running across the highway.

And please.. let's NOT compare inexperienced 16 year old kids dieing in speeding wrecks to middle age Porsche owners with a reasonable amount of track experience and excellent car control. Two different things. No disrespect meant to the dead.

Sorta sums it up for me.......I gotta agree with this 100%.

I hope you don't think anything was directed at you, by bringing up your name either.
Common sense has to come into play at ALL times, especially when behind the wheel.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:53 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

i could be wrong, but my guess on the CVT is a Ruf model designation, no?
Old 09-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoonerE39
I'll bet it's a bitch to clean up black bear off a carbon fiber car
I'd bet it's more of a bitch to clean carbon fiber car out of a black bear....
Old 09-27-2004, 04:01 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

You know, I hate that phrase "lost control". It makes you sound like a complete idiot. All I can envision is Speed Racer going around in circles with his hand flailing around the steering wheel. A lot of times you just get in the "gray" area of the street or track and slide wide. If a tree happens to be in your path, well then that's bad. But the police would say "lost control and hit a tree".

Would you say Michael Schumacher lost control during qualifying and ended up last? No, you would say he went in too fast on possibly cold tires and spun the car. He might have lost grip in the rear tires, but hardly lost "control". You would lose control if your tie rod or a-arm broke.

Just hate that phrase that's all.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:05 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
You know, I hate that phrase "lost control". It makes you sound like a complete idiot. All I can envision is Speed Racer going around in circles with his hand flailing around the steering wheel. A lot of times you just get in the "gray" area of the street or track and slide wide. If a tree happens to be in your path, well then that's bad. But the police would say "lost control and hit a tree".

Would you say Michael Schumacher lost control during qualifying and ended up last? No, you would say he went in too fast on possibly cold tires and spun the car. He might have lost grip in the rear tires, but hardly lost "control". You would lose control if your tie rod or a-arm broke.

Just hate that phrase that's all.
No, I'd say he lost control. He had no control over what the car was going to do and where it was going to go at that point. Happened during the race too.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Matt H
Race Director

How the F do you know his skill level as a driver? For that matter who cares. I KNOW his level of maturity (regardless of age). You know what if you put yourself in that position you deserve whatever comes your way. I am so GD tired of society allowing this kind of behaviour and shrugging it off.

If it makes you feel better Nigel Mansel (and he is probably a better driver than this jackass) lost his license in England for speeding. It shouldnt make any difference how good you are as a driver. No matter how good you are you cant control what is coming around the next corner.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Conversely, Nigel Mansell would not have lost his license driving on the Autobahn...
Old 09-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Luis, how do you know? Might he have found a way to lose it there too? Speculation about what might happen not nearly as interesting as what DID happen
Old 09-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

K27 AND Rich- I completely agree..... btw- K27 -long post? Yeah... you should see some of MINE.... ;-)
Old 09-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Baron009
Pro

They call everything street racing these days. You go to pass a car and it speeds up and then bam.. street racing. Anyway, it's really hard to say exactly what happened because that article was rather vague. It seems like just a spur of the moment revert back to primitive survival instincts or whatever. The guy sped up, the other guy went with him. Probably should have known better though. It's just soo easy to go faster than you should with these cars.

The two things that are most dangerous IMO:
1)People weeving in and out of traffic, going 100mph in their 1990 Astro van (or other similarly unstable vehicle)
2)Drivers under the influence

That reminds me, I was up north (Wasaga beach) for a little bit, and I witnessed this police chase from about 20m away (I was in a nearby parking lot). Anyway, this van is driving along and a cop car pulls in behind with his sirens going. The van suddenly speeds off, and the cop chases after him for say 30m. The cop speeds ahead, swerves in front and cuts off the van and then the van slams into the side of the cop car. The driver still doesn't stop though. He backs up a ways (squeeling tires and all), then tries to drive forward and around the cop again, but he's blocked. He does this maybe one or two more times and the cops finally block him in with the help of some security dudes in their jeep. Then they rush to the van, yank the guy out (or something like that, I didn't really get a good look of this). He tries to get free from the cops, and he's flailing and cursing. They finally wrestle him to the ground and then spend another 2 minutes trying to get the cuffs on this guy while he's complaining and stuff. By now my buddies and I and a decent size crowd have gathered around and we watch until they take the guy away.

Apparently just before the cops came, this van driver drove off the road and drove over a fence a little ways back, then continued down the road. He was quite clearly DWI. I also heard a rumour that he stole the van, but I don't know about that. I actually saw the broken fence so..

Anyhow, the point is THIS is a case that clearly deserves very, VERY harsh punishment. I hope that guy never drives again and gets a reasonable sum of jail time to boot. The two guys in the porsches though, that seemed like more of a spur of the moment thing.. not complete idiocy.

Oh "Emergency equipment activited".. does that mean sirens?
Old 09-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

"They call everything street racing these days." Yep- that's about right... just like everything ELSE is "terrorism"- it's about like the red scare- I don't even want to get started on this one b/c it makes me very hostile & I dont want to feel that way right now.... As for things more dangerous than speeding/racing - you left one out: FOLLOWING TOO CLOSELY! Not to mention making full-on judgements about things w/out having NEARLY all the facts... This is NOT a slam on anyone here- I like to think our little organization is a little brighter- many of the people in this thread have made references to the fact that we have no idea what REALLY happened, &, ASSUMING the newspaper WOULD write the whole story, it's very likely a biased opinion... For the others, I like to think they just got caught up in the moment when posting about this.... much like many have done before in inpromptu street races maybe(?)

Quick Reply: OUCH!!! this is what is called having a BAD DAY!!!!