Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUCH!!! this is what is called having a BAD DAY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 10:00 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KLR
It's not clear to me from the article that these guys were actually racing. The initial sighting at 125kph is only about 75mph. It sounds like the one fellow entered the highway, accelerated to almost 100mph (certainly illegal, but easy to do quickly in our cars) and the Carrera GT driver saluted back with a quick jump to 120mph (which probably takes no time at all in a car that fast). I doubt if they were actually racing in any real sense, and I'd be surprise if the Carrera GT driver was anywhere near the edge of losing control. Not to say that they should escape without a fine/hassle, but that doesn't necessarily sound like utter hooliganism to me.
Yeah, something like this is totally different from stoplight to stoplight runs, or long, high speed (150+) highway runs. Still illegal and dangerous though.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

You guys missed the best part of the article.

Police refused to release their names because of the privacy laws. HELLO! How many of your next door neighbors have a $400K+ car. I am sure he is not annonymous among the "real" porsche crowd, the golf club crowd, the country club crowd, etc.

I think the first Dodge Magnum was totalled yesterday. Sadly, the driver has to face a DWI. He took down a Honda and four of the five teenagers in the Honda are dead.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:15 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I think the first Dodge Magnum was totalled yesterday. Sadly, the driver has to face a DWI. He took down a Honda and four of the five teenagers in the Honda are dead.
That's awful. I'm terribly sorry to hear that! Did that occur in New York, Tom?
Old 09-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Serge944
Thats pathetic. 200 km/h isnt that fast. Guess the vancouver police is bored.
So, you consider 125mph (that's MILE PER HOUR) on public roads not that fast? Really? Okay...
Originally Posted by KLR
I doubt if they were actually racing in any real sense, and I'd be surprise if the Carrera GT driver was anywhere near the edge of losing control. Not to say that they should escape without a fine/hassle, but that doesn't necessarily sound like utter hooliganism to me.
Just because the CGT owner had the $$ to buy the car doesn't mean he has the brains or the ability to control it! The fact that he was driving so fast in traffic tends to point to the fact that he may have an issue with depleated brain cells...
Also: sure, the Carrera GT is a fantastic car, but given the wrong circumstances, it can be completely out of control at speeds much lower than 120mph.

-Z-man.

PS: I am sure I'll be getting bashed for my 'speeding is dangerous comments.' Better get my helmet and fire resistant suit ready...
Old 09-26-2004, 10:29 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Kinda makes you question what makes a day a bad day

Originally Posted by NeedPorscheSpeed
That's awful. I'm terribly sorry to hear that! Did that occur in New York, Tom?
Yes, it was all over the local news yesterday. One parent said that next week instead of having a 17th birthday party they will be having a funeral! If you check out www.newsday.com I am sure there will be a picture of the honda.

A 1997 Honda lays wrecked at the Nassau County Police Impound. Four passengers in the Honda, Guy Victor, Shanna Mattison, Anna Mendoza Burgess, and Anelia Thelemaque were killed after a 2005 Magnum driven by Gerrard Ganza struck the Honda on Old Country Road in Westbury
Old 09-26-2004, 11:52 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

As tragic as that is and how much it saddens me to here about it, we had a similar one here in our small town a few years back, simply devastating.
I feel for the families as I have young kids as well.
You have to realize that there are usually other circumstances that are the actual cause of the crash, in this case alcohol.
However the police report will still read "speed was a contributing factor."
It is a given that speed adds to the severity and increases the likleyhood of death in a crash, I don't think anyone would dispute that.
However the focus on speed enforcement is not proactive law enforcement.
New driver training and the requirements for getting a license is where the focus should be, this is proactive prevention.
There seems to be reluctance on this course of action especially around theses parts.
Makes me wonder if all the rich car dealers buddies in government have an agenda, to allow all these rich new comers to buy as many new cars as they like.
Sorry someone has to say it, to often people stick there heads in the sand on this issue and say nothing.
Frankly the skills of the average driver around here is without doubt abismal, if I was an examiner I would advise some of these people to take the bus, as I would never in there lifetime issue them with a license to kill.
This would facilitate the raising of driving standards and the speed limits on our highways as they are currently set at the lowest common denominator.
Given the right conditions out on a quiet section of divided highway I dont think exceeding the speed limits are any more dangerous than driving in traffic around the city.
Statistics prove that most crashes happen within the city limits, not on highways, yet isn't it strange that that is where the police usually set up $hop

sorry for the long post
Old 09-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heck, I was driving in upstate NY a few summers ago and there were 18-wheeler trucks passing me at around 90 mph... These Porsches in West Vancouver were simply at the wrong place, at the wrong time.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:50 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have trouble with part of that article... he cut off a vehicle travelling at a much lower speed. Sorry... cutting someone off means that you force them to brake and such... sounds like a simple passing maneuver.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:58 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agreed patrat
Old 09-27-2004, 01:01 AM
gilwong
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another article stated that the owners were given automatic 15 day driving suspensions and the cars would be impounded for 48 hours. Funny thing was this is the only CGT in Vancouver and the owner was displaying his ride at the local dealer's 997 Launch Party three weeks ago. He's a high profile software entrepreneur (he could probably afford 5 CGT's) and I'm kinda surprised he didn't keep a lower profile.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:08 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, if someone can afford to have such a car, paying a fine would be like pocket change to them (so to speak). I also think that "most" people that have a car like this, are going to be much to tempted to "run em out" once in a while. It isn't right, and it sure isn't to smart, but it sure looks like the case.

Randy, are you sure you weren't out driving around, ran accross these fellas, and kinda pumped 'em up? j/k

How about the rest of you guys.....ever "set someone up" , knowing that there is a speed trap, or likely to be one up ahead? I know I have, in the not so distant past. Gotta love some of them there ricers! Yeah, I know, what goes around comes around.

I also have to admit, I've been set up a time or two in my career. I'm just not quite so easily fired up anymore.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:09 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Granite 944
IRandy, are you sure you weren't out driving around, ran accross these fellas, and kinda pumped 'em up? j/k
aahhhhh no, would never do that in a place that has cops waiting at the bottom of a hill under a bridge where they've been known to hide for the past 20 years or so....

must'a been somebody like Sandor
Old 09-27-2004, 11:05 AM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Kind of ot but we had a student at my high school die last week when he lost control in his mazda while racing a camero on a windy two lane road. He hit a 50 year old oak going around 110mph he died instantly, his passenger however is paralyzed from below the neck down. They were unquestionably racing because the mazda was in the wrong lane of traffic when there was turn to the left with a hill. His car got airborne after that and was unable to recover and hit the tree on the right side of the road. Personally at my young age 18 i cannot see any reason to race or speed excessively on public roads.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:16 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a bad day for sure.

Last edited by theedge; 09-27-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:01 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Randy_J
(BTW, what the heck is a 1995 Porsche 911 CVT anyway??)
I'm wondering the same thing.
WHAT DOES IT MATTER THAT HE HAD A CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE TRANSMISSION?!?!?

Quick Reply: OUCH!!! this is what is called having a BAD DAY!!!!