Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Complete repaint or partial repaint?
DO IT ALL!
93.62%
Save the money and only do the needed parts
6.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Full Repaint or not???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 03:36 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Full Repaint or not???

Alright, heres whats going down. I need to get my front end, hood, fenders, and rear fender painted. As for the reason, its a long long story. I will post the reason why when I am done with the car. Anyways, I have a quote of about 2K to get the car painted in those areas. I am wondering first how much a full paint job would cost. Keeping in mind it is nautic blue, not a very cheap color. And number 2, should I just paint the entire car instead of wasting time and money on painting just the parts. My paint now is pretty good. There are some areas I would like to relieve of rock chips and what not. Not too sure on how they will match it, though. But it is a very good body shop. So should I repaint the entire car or...just paint the pieces and hope they can match it. Use the extra money elsewhere. Thanks
Old 09-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the price for the full car, doing it all at once would be nice but doing it right will probably cost at least $5k.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

do it all. Expensive yes. But, painting the parts only would show discoloration from the rest of the car since new paint and old paint won't look good together on the same car. IMO $5,000 would be a figure thats about right for a tear down and pulling the carpet back for a repaint. My reccommendation is to have the windshield even removed so you don't have paint filling into the crevices of the rubber trim like on my $800 paint job (yes I know stupid me but I'm poor so what can I say) Let us know your results.

Andy
Old 09-13-2004, 01:18 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Dang...5K? I am not needing the door sills or engine bay painted. Wouldnt only be around 3.5K for just the body to be respayed by a decent shop?
Old 09-13-2004, 01:22 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

getting the car apart to respray is most of your labor costs...i would say if you tore alot of the car down yourself you could save alot of money and get the whole car sprayed...its really simple once you get into it. Ask the body shop the price if you tear the rear of the car down. If you really dont have the money, find someone in your area to do a respray for you cheaper....
Old 09-13-2004, 01:26 PM
JoakimJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a respray price should be about the same in europe as in US.
A good job ( without receipt) should be done one for +/- 2k i think!
Old 09-13-2004, 01:38 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I've been quoted $5,000.00 USD to have mine resprayed propperly.... that's torn down, sanded, primed, etc. etc. etc.

I was kind of insulted...the lady at the body shop asked if I'd looked into Maaco, as she assumed I couldn't afford it.

I simply told her, "well, I want it done right, and apparently you don't want my business..." and went on my merry way.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:43 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Yeah that IS a lot of money. Has anyone done this, stripped the car down themselves and have it repainted? If so, how much did it cost you after you stripped it and what exactly did you have to do? How long did it take? Thanks for the info
Old 09-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

here's the way I see it:

-Take out all exterior automotive lighting including sidemarkers, turn signals, tail lights....you get the point.

-Remove front and rear bumpers as well as rubber guards so that they can be resprayed separate from the car.

-Remove door and hatch seals and remove hatch as well.

-Remove quarter glass windows and have windshield professionally removed if you want to keep the windshield for re-use. NOTE: It's difficult on new cars since almost certainly it will be cracked on removal. 90% of the time the windshield cracks.

-I reccommend you do door jambs to avoid any discoloration. So remove the door sills and door panels as well.

Oh and be sure you tell them to mask off EVERYTHING in the interior thats at risk of being oversprayed. If you do the stripping yourself you save TONS of money.

Andy
Old 09-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I want to respray my car myself...that way after rebuilding the engine and suspension, I could say the car truely is mine...but I'd prolly take it to the dent doctor to make it smooth again.... I hate SUV's and their Owners who don't care.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:41 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

How much is TONS? Guesstimate please? And I dont see the reason behind spraying the door sills. I hope i can find a shop that will be able to match the paint close enough so I dont have to repaint the sills.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:20 PM
claw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a quote of 2.5k for a re-spray with proper block sanding and ding removal. This shop had rated high in the local consumer magazine report. Problem is that most shops make a ton of money off the insurance repair business around D.C. and you have trouble trying to find a shop that is even interested in re-spray.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:38 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

How does it go from 2.5k to 5k??? Anyone in the chicago area that has had their car painted??
Old 09-13-2004, 04:47 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i painted my 944 myself, actually ive painted a bunch of cars...cost me about 700 usually in materials to do a paint job, if i have all the tools readily available and etc etc..You can have your windshield removed to paint the car but its kind of pointless. ive seen a ton of them removed without breaking them, you just have to have the right tools like an expert. Take out the rubber strip-it just pulls out- and then tape it up on the edge of the seam and after its painted put the rubber back in and it looks original...i did take out the side glass and hatch etc...You can tape up the jams...tape up the underside of the hood and the engine bay but spray the part where the fender bolts go to give it a better finish. Prep is the key...usually decent paint job will cost about 2500 but body shops do insurance work so a paint job will be around 5000 because they go by the hour etc.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:12 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

thanks for the info guys...im gunna look into a full repaint. Not sure how close they can match nautic blue but i guess I will find out. Once again thanks!

Quick Reply: Full Repaint or not???