Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Garage Can't Find Whats Wrong With Car - HELP?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom- ease up.. some people are mechanically uninclined. (Wrong end of a screwdriver type..or just plain unlucky at diagnosis and fixing the root problem) - In some cases it does pay to enlist the help of a pro wrench.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:09 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This does not inspire much confidence in the shop that "fixed" your car.

FWIW, I currently have non-start problems, so have done a fair amount of reading and had a few conversations with those who know more about DME problems than me (which is practically everybody).

Food for thought regarding DME problems:

1. One guy (a Porsche parts recycler who drives a 951) replaced his DME, to no avail. He finally found the problem--a loose wire on pin 28 of the DME plug. This thing allowed the car to start sometimes, but not others. He found it by wiggling the plug while cranking the engine, which then started.

2. Others have found that re-soldering the DME and KLR circuit boards, especially around heat sinks, fixes hairline breaks in the solder joints in these old cars. A $10 Radio Shack soldering iron works well. The TV repair shop idea also sounds great, since they know their way around solder better than me.

3. Somebody else figured our that a common DME fault is the igniiton driver. This silver thingy is about the size of 5 stacked quarters, and tends to overheat and fail. Porsche/Bosch later started putting these transistors on the outside of the DME box, where it's cooler. Anyhow, this transistor can reportedly be replaced for a few bucks, which is a lot cheaper than $1,800 for a new DME.

4. Given these factors, folks (who deal with DME problems regularly) have told me that most DME or KLR replacements are needless and/or inordinately expensive, so ignorant people often get ripped off.

If anyone has other common DME or non-start faults or further insights to add to this list, please do.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:11 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

wow.. this is still going on!?!?!?!?!?!

as i said before..

(sang ala yellow submarine)
de-mons live in the nine forty four

the nine forty four
the nine forty four...
Old 09-25-2004, 11:09 PM
pologuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tom...

Two words....Fu*k Off!

I come here, as many others do for help, NOT to be told to learn how to fix my car myself or get rid if it..... and told the fact that I didnt swap out the DME myself is really sad.....

Where the h*ll do you get off?!

For the $300 they charged me to "diagnose" my problem when I gave them a list of possible things to check from you guys and the DME was number one, but they thought they knew better - you damn right I am going to have them put it in!

Your reply was TOTALLY uncalled for, if you dont have anything positive to ad, dont bother posting!

Old 09-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pologuy
Hey Tom...

Two words....Fu*k Off!

I come here, as many others do for help, NOT to be told to learn how to fix my car myself or get rid if it....
sorry, I must have misread your different posts...I thought you came here to complain about having to pay people to fix your car

guess I struck a nerve
Old 09-26-2004, 12:55 PM
SoonerE39
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
.. some people are mechanically uninclined. ... In some cases it does pay to enlist the help of a pro wrench.
I'm one of those people. My dad never knew a damn thing about working on cars or even how cars work but I always had the desire. I chose to go to college instead of a vo-tech so there wasn't much automotive learning there. But over time I've picked up a few things here and there and have even tackled some projects that take better than average ability. One of the best places I've found to learn automotive DIY is through the help of great people on forums like this one.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom Carson
It’s been said often that these old cars are for people who have too much money or who like to do the work themselves and learn. Else get rid of the car, as it is only a money pit.
Sooner, you're the kindda guy most of us want to help...willing to try...and not whine when professionals charge reasonable prices for the knowledge they worked hard to learn over many years

these cars are old and have pitiful diagnostics; OBD II didn’t begin until 1996.
so dealing with electronics, sensors and engine management computers of the 1980’s is painful.

we’ve seen this movie before and we know how it ends…Poloboy will just need to learn for himself

and that’s OK, lots of shops will like his business

oh btw...he calls his car a "money pit" months ago

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/149754-new-fuel-filter-now-car-stalls-help.html

Last edited by Tom Carson; 09-26-2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:03 PM
pologuy
Racer

LMAO, and??

Do me and all of us a favor Tom, if you dont want to give advise to me - DON'T.

It just seems like your last few posts were just to "hear" yourself talking.

Old 09-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pologuy
Do me and all of us a favor Tom, if you dont want to give advise to me - DON'T
but I am giving advice to you

and here is more...De Caf

Quick Reply: Porsche Garage Can't Find Whats Wrong With Car - HELP?!