Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Garage Can't Find Whats Wrong With Car - HELP?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

944 Ecology has been buying nearly all of them from Ebay. George, who owns the place, is a member here.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:02 PM
pologuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He wants $455 for a used dme computer unit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What at am I missing here?!

Last edited by pologuy; 09-16-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:37 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

First off, if it *IS* your DME, its usually a bad solder connection on the circuit board, and any decent tv repair place can usually fix it in 30-45 minutes and for around $50 or less. Just call around, you'll find someone locally.

Secondly, Geo B runs a business supporting Porsche 944's, and will charge what the market will bear, which apparently is $400+ for that particular part. If you don't like his pricing, there are other places you can go, but part of what you are paying for is George's service and a guarranty that the part isn't junk. Its a somewhat risky proposition to buy DME's from Ebay or various junkyards, as its a finicky part and without an absolute assurance that its good, you might be adding to your problems, not helping them. Geo B is one of the good guys and has been helping 944 owners for a long time, and has provided TONS of troubleshooting advice on the Rennlist email lists for years, without trying to solicit business while doing so, so go easy on him. He's not ripping anybody off.

Regards,
Old 09-16-2004, 06:00 PM
pologuy
Racer

First off, I certainly didnt mean anything adverse regarding George, I was just shocked at the price. He is a business man - and buying them off of ebay for $100 or so and testing them to make sure they are good and selling them for $455 is just good business. I just need to be the one that gets it off of ebay for $100 lol

Second, it looks like I will try to get mine repaired. I wasnt aware that a TV repair place would solder the dme, I will call around, thanks for the info.

Old 09-16-2004, 07:17 PM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

check ebay, if you have bid against someone else, just do so. it'll probably still be cheaper than buying from parts store.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve in New Hampshire
I second the fuel presure regulator. I had very similar symptoms. What happened with mine is it would on occasion let the presure spike...and flood the engine. I'd wait 15 minutes or so for the fuel to leak down into the crankcase and it would start again to start the whole cycle again.
this still sounds fuel related. Several folks in this thread have voted for the fuel pressure regulator (FPR). when it won't start is there any smell of gas from the exhaust pipe while cranking it over trying to start it?
Old 09-16-2004, 08:00 PM
pologuy
Racer

YES!

There is a big gas smell......
Old 09-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Sounds flooded to me! Did the shop check the fuel pressure, or just check to see if fuel is being delivered? It may well be getting delivered...just too much of it!

Now ask me how I learned about mine. Mine started dying on me on the way home. I nursed it as far as I could...and made it to my local Porsche dealer. Tried like hell to get it home, but I was screwed. So I took my chances on a big repair bill. Well they went right to work replacing the reference sensors...and it didn't work. THEN and ONLY THEN did they check the fuel pressure, replaced the regulator and Voila...car runs fine. Now did they take the sensors out and not charge me...nope. Expensive lesson.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:05 PM
pologuy
Racer

lol, yeah, for all of the crap I am getting about the shop, and a lot of it is deserved.....they tested the sensors with some machine first and they were working fine...... thank god they didnt change them to find out.....

Old 09-17-2004, 04:13 PM
pologuy
Racer

Ok, well they put a "test" DME into the car and it works, they are saying that was the problem.

Just odd that the problem started the day after they changed my spark plugs, fuel filter and water pump, but on well.

Looks like I either find a cheap DME off of ebay or just have mine resolderd.

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by pologuy; 09-18-2004 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

if it's an intermittent problem how are they sure the 'test' DME fixed it?

here's an old post that had many of your symptoms:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/67122-elusive-stalling-problem-ideas-anyone.html

turns out it was a couple of big transistors in the DME that needed resoldering.

but often it's the FPR. with these symptoms Martin Taylor often suggested that you should disconnect one of the plug wires to one of the injectors leaving 3 instead of 4 injectors connected

this should reduce the injector’s electrical current 'load' on the DME allowing additional current to be supplied from the DME ignition output stage to the ignition coil...it is a simple testing method

if the engine runs (on 3 cylinders) it means the FPR (Fuel Pump Regulator) has failed in the ‘closed’ position and the fuel pressure is too high which might ‘load down’ both the fuel injector and ignition output stages of the DME

hmm...looks like Martin hasn't posted since January. I wonder what's up with him??
Old 09-24-2004, 08:02 PM
pologuy
Racer

Well,

I dropped off the DME I got off of ebay for $89, the owner of the garage said he would put it in, but that was it - he wouldn't take it for a test drive to make sure everything was working. He was pissed because he wanted to charge me $900 for a used DME or $1900 for a new one and I bought a used one off of ebay for $89....nice huh?

Oh and yeah, he charged me $300 to diagnose the problem.

Old 09-24-2004, 08:37 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Danno
Hmmm, actually from the symptoms it might be a big vacuum leak like the AFM is disconnected from its rubber boot...
That's what I was going to point out. Check the hose clamps and connectors throughout the intake system to make sure it's all secure and correct. I say pull of the vac lines running from the AFM and TPS and test them with a vacuum pump a well. If they are visibly cracked or hardened at all, toss them and replace them! If you have a small vacuum leak there and only a certain pressure causes it to leak, a thorough road test sometimes won't even pick up the problem!

Best of luck!

EDIT... well, once again, I should read the whole thread before replying, haha. What makes them so certain that it was DME related if they never found the problem themselves?? Keep a close eye out.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$89??? Nice score!!! E-bay rocks, you just have to know what you're doing.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:48 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peckster
you just have to know what you're doing.
Pologuy...you sound angry because you have to pay 'others' that DO know what they are doing.

the fact that they even plugged the DME in for you (gratis) is more then many shops would do.

and that you could not even do this yourself is really sad (it takes about 15 seconds to swap a DME)....either learn how to fix that car yourself, or get rid of it...or be happy to pay others that know what to do & stop complaining…because it seems you don't want to even try to fix anything yourself.

Quick Reply: Porsche Garage Can't Find Whats Wrong With Car - HELP?!