Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Garage Can't Find Whats Wrong With Car - HELP?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:43 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure the fuel filter is installed correctly. On my 931 the PO installed it backwards. This, over time, caused it to fail mechanically and the parts that were loose would block the flow of fuel.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulStewart
Make sure the fuel filter is installed correctly. On my 931 the PO installed it backwards. This, over time, caused it to fail mechanically and the parts that were loose would block the flow of fuel.
whoaa...good one !

I believe it might be very possible to install a 944 fuel filter backwards...

anyone have first hand experience with a fuel filter that was installed backwards??
Old 09-07-2004, 12:53 PM
pologuy
Racer

OK, new development guys.

First off, I have an appointment to bring my car back in this week....

Second, I parked my car outside in the driveway for about 4 hours yesterday. The driveway slants down. The car was facing the street, so its nose was lower than the back end. When I went to start it IT WOULD NOT START, it would just keep turning over. We pushed the car into the garage so it was now on a level surface. A few hours later it started right off the bat...........

Old 09-07-2004, 02:14 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

when the car dies, does it just cut off like the key was turned off, or does it run progressivly rougher until it dies? What type, part number, fuel filter was installed? The fittings on the inlet and outlet are different, so it shouldn't be possible to put it in backwards. If you can, when the engine is in no start mode, have a helper crank the engine while you are under the hood. Take a long screwdriver and place the tip on a fuel injector and the handle to your ear and see if you hear a cliking noise from the injectors, take an old spark plug and put it into the end of an ign. wire, lay the plug on a metallic part of the engine and see if there's any spark. Try these and let us know what you find.
Good luck
Old 09-07-2004, 02:28 PM
pologuy
Racer

It just cuts off....

I can pump the gas petal when it starts to die and it tries to keep going, but it doesnt and it just dies........

I then turn the key off while the car is still rolling and then start the car, it will turn over and run for a few more blocks and then does the same thing.

I can also, when it is in the garage, start it with no problem, rev the engine a few times until the tach gets to around 4000 rpm and then it does the same thing, it dies. When I rev the engine to 4000 rpm and it dies, however, then I cant start it right away again, I have to wait 15 minutes and then it will start right off the bat.

Old 09-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

WHere are you in wisconsin, close by Waukesha...? If so I could come by and check it out for you...

DAmian
Old 09-07-2004, 03:03 PM
pologuy
Racer

Damn, I wish, I used to live in Brookfield......Now I am in Appleton......

Old 09-07-2004, 03:10 PM
joes
Racer

When this happens loosen the cap at the end of the fuel rail and see if you still have fuel pressure, it could be fuel related.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

How far away is appleton from me....?

DAmian
Old 09-07-2004, 03:14 PM
pologuy
Racer

"When this happens loosen the cap at the end of the fuel rail and see if you still have fuel pressure, it could be fuel related."

If I knew where any of those things were, I would be more than happy too

Last edited by pologuy; 09-07-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:22 PM
pologuy
Racer

OK, I just replaced the DME Relay and that wasnt it......

Old 09-07-2004, 05:05 PM
pologuy
Racer

Appleton is an hour and and 15 minutes from Waukesha/brookfield on HWY 41.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When diagnosising no start speed/reference sensors should be first (IIRC, that is step one in virtually all of the FSMs for no start), once you are sure they are gapped correctly go to step two. BTW, I dont think this is the problem in this case, doesnt make any sense.

As this point I am inclined to agree with Joes it seems fuel pressure related.

The resolder seems to only effect early cars.

Dont think it is a vacuum leak, there would be no reason for it to start later. I.e. it didnt seal while sitting there.

The very easiest thing to check is the plugs. It sounds like the car has a fuel pressure problem or ignition problem. Both are fairly easy to diagnose. Pull a plug out and check the gap to begin with, take a picture of what it looks like (the white end with the resistor not the end the wire goes on to). The next time it wont start you need to check for fuel and spark, without both the car wont run. Once you know which one you dont have diagnosis is fairly simple. To check spark get a plug holder and ground the plug to the block, crank the car, you should see a spark arc to the block, if not you have no spark. Report back.

Put the plug back in.

Remove the end cap from the fuel rail with a cup (glass, plastic melts) under it (WARNING!!!!!: Grab a fire extinguisher, NOW!) crank the car, presence of fuel should be obvious, if not report back. Close fuel rail.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt H
Remove the end cap from the fuel rail
There should be a small steel ball under that end cap...don't lose it

It seems very coincidental that the problem started right after the fuel filter was replaced. Have you checked for a kinked fuel filter hose?

Damien, bring tools.

Last edited by Tom Carson; 09-07-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:21 PM
pologuy
Racer

I have NO idea what I am doing...and I have NO tools....other than a hammer, which almost got used today......

I would much rather pay a fellow rennlister than a garage

Quick Reply: Porsche Garage Can't Find Whats Wrong With Car - HELP?!