Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 spec racer & road car in one - Project thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 03:34 PM
MrQuiet
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

I have concluded where to get the car painted. It's not a regular paint shop. But I believe I'll reveal exactly who and how in a later post. Regardless, I am delivering the tub for paint immediately after Easter. Meaning… It's a (lengthy) last dash getting everything ready.

This is the result of 10+ hours of heat gun and scraper, angle grinder and flap disc, mini belt sander, breathing mask and chemicals, steel brush, and lots of elbow grease. Removed the bitumen plates, and all little bracket and holders that are not needed anymore. And cleaned everything thoroughly.

The following 2 users liked this post by MrQuiet:
JRP944 (04-03-2023), Nowanker (04-03-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 05:43 AM
MrQuiet
Rennlist Member

After 3 or 4 looong days in the garage, the car was ready to be delivered for paint. Cleaning and fixing a lot of smaller issues. Adding "lids" to the holes in the floor. Adding reinforcement to the front "jack points". Spending 4 hours fixing two small holes in the battery well, that I discovered when brushing off the surface rust. Painfull area to work in. And welding semi-rusted steel... Scraping off massive amounts of weld spatter in the engine bay from the production, back in '85. Removing glue leftover from the lower "profile" for the windsheidl. Cleaning the front wheel wells with steel brush and copious amounts of brake cleaner. Sanding the inside of the targa lid smooth. Welding up a couple holes from a failed bracket positioning job. Removing a couple non-needed brackets in the engine bay. Welding a small crack in the outer skin and broken window guide in the driver side door. Masking screw bosses with tape and "internal" machine threads with earbuds. General cleaning of the entire engine bay with brake cleaner and fine brass and steel brushes. And much, much more. I was so busy and focusing on progress that I didn't take nearly as many images as a should...

The car is being painted by students at a local high school. They are going to be painting both the inside, the cage, engine bay and the outside. You'll have to wait for the color reveal. But I am really exited! The students were too. They seemed eager to work on a vintage race car. I bribed them a bit as well, bringing two trays of Monster energy drinks for motivation

Old 04-12-2023, 06:07 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MrQuiet
After 3 or 4 looong days in the garage, the car was ready to be delivered for paint. Cleaning and fixing a lot of smaller issues. Adding "lids" to the holes in the floor. Adding reinforcement to the front "jack points". Spending 4 hours fixing two small holes in the battery well, that I discovered when brushing off the surface rust. Painfull area to work in. And welding semi-rusted steel... Scraping off massive amounts of weld spatter in the engine bay from the production, back in '85. Removing glue leftover from the lower "profile" for the windsheidl. Cleaning the front wheel wells with steel brush and copious amounts of brake cleaner. Sanding the inside of the targa lid smooth. Welding up a couple holes from a failed bracket positioning job. Removing a couple non-needed brackets in the engine bay. Welding a small crack in the outer skin and broken window guide in the driver side door. Masking screw bosses with tape and "internal" machine threads with earbuds. General cleaning of the entire engine bay with brake cleaner and fine brass and steel brushes. And much, much more. I was so busy and focusing on progress that I didn't take nearly as many images as a should...

The car is being painted by students at a local high school. They are going to be painting both the inside, the cage, engine bay and the outside. You'll have to wait for the color reveal. But I am really exited! The students were too. They seemed eager to work on a vintage race car. I bribed them a bit as well, bringing two trays of Monster energy drinks for motivation

Great work, paint prep is tedious but rewarding.
The following users liked this post:
J1NX3D (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 09:13 AM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Awesome! I love that these students are going to paint your car. I’m still amazed how many young people are drawn to my 944 and often know what it is.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:32 AM
MrQuiet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968to986
Awesome! I love that these students are going to paint your car. I’m still amazed how many young people are drawn to my 944 and often know what it is.
Agree fully! My own kids (teenagers) show little interrest in mechanical stuff, so I'm not "spoiled" by shared enthuiasm with younger people. Thus, I get a bit eager myself seeing and feeling that I have a shared interrest with these students.

Also... A podcast I am listening to is often mentioning the "flywheel" of the enthuiast car hobby. That you as an enthusiast yourself have to take some ownership in contributing to this "flywheel" maintaining its rotation. Give something back. Keeping the hobby live and strong. So I get a bit of satisfaction in thinking that I am contributing a little bit, by introducing these teenagers to 80's Porsche, and to club racing, and to a (car) hobby rarely seen in the (mostly) "academic" upper middle class suburb area I am living in, and is part of.
The following 3 users liked this post by MrQuiet:
J1NX3D (04-12-2023), newold_m (04-22-2023), Nowanker (04-12-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 10:10 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Agree fully! My own kids (teenagers) show little interrest in mechanical stuff, so I'm not "spoiled" by shared enthuiasm with younger people. Thus, I get a bit eager myself seeing and feeling that I have a shared interrest with these students.

Also... A podcast I am listening to is often mentioning the "flywheel" of the enthuiast car hobby. That you as an enthusiast yourself have to take some ownership in contributing to this "flywheel" maintaining its rotation. Give something back. Keeping the hobby live and strong. So I get a bit of satisfaction in thinking that I am contributing a little bit, by introducing these teenagers to 80's Porsche, and to club racing, and to a (car) hobby rarely seen in the (mostly) "academic" upper middle class suburb area I am living in, and is part of.
Love your perspective and contributions. So, where is this high school? I have a car they can paint!
Old 04-14-2023, 04:37 AM
MrQuiet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sm
Love your perspective and contributions. So, where is this high school? I have a car they can paint!
Eh... Just south of Oslo. Norway. From your posts it appears you are US based..?
Old 04-19-2023, 11:18 AM
MrQuiet
Rennlist Member

The high school that are painting my car posted some images on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
Voith (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 06:55 AM
syncronized
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't found por15 here. But Google'ing "phosphoric acid" it appears to be a key ingredient in the cleaning agents for equipment used for home brewing beer. And I've found various cleaning agents for aluminium boats. It appears they typically use sulpheric acid as the active ingredient.

Must say I haven't really thought a lot about dedicated chemicals for aluminium. Rather having used "general" stuff for cars. But it makes a lot of sense to be more specific with regards to what chemical to reach for.
There is a place down in Porsgrunn (Gasoline.no) that sells POR15 in Norway (I just happen to have found and ordered from them). The POR15 products are good for a quick-and-easy alternative to sandblasting etc. I've used their degreaser in the past (along with the rest of their products), forget what it contains but I don't believe that it includes phosphoric acid. They *do* sell a 'self-etching primer' which is in fact a Phosphoric Acid solution with Zinc added - which means it does a basic galvanization as well. The Phosphoric Acid inactivates rust, pretty much any rust-inhibitating solution or gel includes Phosphoric acid. Haven't really heard of Phosphoric Acid being used for Aluminium.
​​​​​​​
MrQuiet (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 08:53 AM
MrQuiet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by syncronized
There is a place down in Porsgrunn (Gasoline.no) that sells POR15 in Norway
Thx for the tip on where to buy POR-15 products. I'll check it out.

Last edited by MrQuiet; 04-20-2023 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:59 AM
MrQuiet
Rennlist Member

So... What will the color be? There are a few hints in this coat of arms

Old 04-20-2023, 06:01 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's my guess - except gold instead of silver.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:54 AM
MrQuiet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Here's my guess - except gold instead of silver.
Good suggestion. And a nice picture hunt. But, no. It involves one of the words along the perimeter.
Old 04-21-2023, 10:17 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Oslo Blue.

Old 04-22-2023, 04:50 AM
MrQuiet
Rennlist Member

The tub is painted!

And the color scheme turned out just as nice as I had envisioned. Of course there are some smaller finishing touches needed. After all the painters are high school teenagers. But regardless, this is much better than some of the other alternatives I was contemplating. Like brush-and-roller. I need to polish off some orange dust here and there, as the masking obviously wasn't completely sealing when they did the cage. And... They will redo the entire right rear quarter, as it had some major runs. It's a bit thin under the dash, and there are some runs on the cage.

The colors are Porsche Oslo Blue (6203/Z77), Audi Nardo Gray (LY7C) and Volkswagen Signal Orange (L20E). All of them single stage, and readily available colors. That can easily be touched up if needed. The Oslo Blue was launched by Porsche in 1952. The color was possibly inspired by the Oslo Winter Olympics the same year, or by the blue in the Oslo Coat of Arms (Correctly spoted by Kurt R), or by the traditional norwegian Oslo clothing. No-one knows. Regardless, it is a really cool color IMO. And it is not red, as it is way to many red 944's around. At least here in Scandinavia. And I wanted something different. Actually I haven't found a single Oslo Blue 944 on the entire Internet. Possibly there is one out there. But it is certainly not many.

The high school holds on to the car for now. The students are now away for 3 weeks on out placement, and they will finish painting the hood, doors, fenders, bumpers and all the other stuff in the end of May and early June. We are planning to lightly assemble the painted bits onto the car, and take some pictures. Before I get it back. That's fine by me, as I have lot's of pieces thet need some more finishing touches before they go back onto and into the car.

Really happy with how this turned out

The following 6 users liked this post by MrQuiet:
944Fest (aka Dan P) (04-24-2023), ealoken (04-22-2023), fwb42 (04-22-2023), J1NX3D (04-22-2023), newold_m (04-22-2023), PF (01-02-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 944 spec racer & road car in one - Project thread