Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 924 Turbo Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 07:58 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

The seats look marvelous and the leather itself looks just perfect. Just looking at the pictures, you can almost feel how soft those seats are. I can't wait to see the interior back together. It will look like a new car no doubt!
Old 08-10-2023, 11:14 AM
jjeffries
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

First class work you’re doing there.

Bauer, I chose my color from a SEM color sample card at a local paint jobber and had a quart mixed, about $95 IIRC and that was three years ago. I probably used less than half of it on the carpets and also used it on the door cards. (I did a major bodywork job on my dash, finished in SEM Texture Coat, then grey/brown SEM color also bought in a quart and shot with cheap HF gun, used that on all the interior trim which was black-ish from the factory)

That’s more than you asked 🤔. Point being, SEM products can really save older trim parts when you cannot get or don’t want to spend the money on new.

john
Old 08-13-2023, 10:23 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
The seats look marvelous and the leather itself looks just perfect. Just looking at the pictures, you can almost feel how soft those seats are. I can't wait to see the interior back together. It will look like a new car no doubt!
Thank you! After doing quite a few sets of the more complicated 928 seats, you would think I would have this down to a science but not quite. Seems everyone makes their covers slightly different and of course, older foam tends to find its own unique shape.

With that said, the wrinkles are slowly working their way out. A little steam has helped.

Carpet is in. I went with an ACC kit. Pretty nice overall but time consuming to fit properly. Yes, its moulded but I found it very fiddly to fit. Overall I am pleased.

The following 2 users liked this post by Guy:
924RACR (08-15-2023), Karl_W944 (08-13-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 03:13 PM
jjeffries
Instructor

Nice work. It’s funny, non-car people think we’re smart when we can, say, fix an engine, but the trim stuff can to me be the most vexing. As with everything, trying to do it myself invariably makes me admire real/pro craftspeople all the more.

The carpets in particular look very, very nice.

best, John
Old 08-14-2023, 03:24 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jjeffries
Nice work. It’s funny, non-car people think we’re smart when we can, say, fix an engine, but the trim stuff can to me be the most vexing. As with everything, trying to do it myself invariably makes me admire real/pro craftspeople all the more.

The carpets in particular look very, very nice.

best, John
Thanks.John! You are 100 percent correct. There are tricks to this work that the pros have developed from doing this day in and day out. I have the utmost respect for the dying breed of craftsman who do this work to a high level.

If I had to do these again, i would add even MORE padding that the 1/2 I added to the bolsters. That would fill out the wrinkles nicely. Notice the bottoms, had no such issues so I have that one right on the money.

Little hints that I did take away from a pro years ago.

One is to use landscaping fabric on the cushion bottoms even when using new foam. Helps keep the spring from cutting into the foam

Another trick i learned was to use wire ties on the inner listing rods for the seat back.. This area is very hard to reach with hog rings. I used the wire ties and then added hogrings once the leather was pulled tight.

The pic is bad but the best I could get. This is before I slid the inset foam in place.

I steamed the carpet as it was installed and it has been relaxing out of the box for a couple months. I understand the pros have an "iron" to help press the carpet as it's installed as well.

Still need to do the hatch and transfer over the hardware from the original pieces.
The following users liked this post:
924RACR (08-15-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carpet fitting.

The ACC carpet kit is mass back meaning it has a thick rubber coating on the back of it. It made fitting the carpet slightly more challenging in areas. The stock retainers on the rear quarter panel sections will fit work. Had to get creative and source some longer clips to hold it in place.

Also had to transfer over the snaps from the old cargo carpet to the new one. Slow and tedious but starting to come together.

Old 09-12-2023, 10:11 AM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hard to believe its been almost 2 years since i got this 80. Normally I work a little quicker on my projects but I had a 928 that took my time up for year one.

Now it's time for a heavy detail and to get the A/C running.
The following 2 users liked this post by Guy:
924RACR (09-14-2023), tannat (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 12:23 PM
jjeffries
Instructor

Guy’s Home for Wayward yet Worthy 924s & 928’s. Outstanding work turning that into a Porsche someone can drive, collect and enjoy, all still highly correct and as it was made.

John
Old 09-14-2023, 05:46 PM
BauerR
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy

Hard to believe its been almost 2 years since i got this 80. Normally I work a little quicker on my projects but I had a 928 that took my time up for year one.

Now it's time for a heavy detail and to get the A/C running.
You coming to Hunt Valley Saturday??? She ready now??
Old 09-15-2023, 03:41 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

FWIW, I just recently re-fit the AC in my '82 931... had converted it previously to 134, but didn't do a proper job. This time I got help from a friend who does house HVAC, knows his systems... properly flushed all the hard components (evap, condenser and compressor - still original), obviously replaced all the o-rings, and refilled with the appropriate oil (ester, I think? Check my post on the 924board if you need) after pulling a good vacuum... haven't had it long, but it runs shockingly cold, works great. So definitely worth the effort.

Open items: I had to do some idle tuning/tweaking to my Microsquirt tune to handle the additional load from the AC compressor, not too awful. Then I still have to check my fans for proper function; without AC, car runs nice and cool even in the worst heat and traffic jam, but city driving with the AC on started to really run the temps up, so not sure the second fan is running currently.

Also, as cold as the air output is, it still struggles to overcome the sun load. So as much as I hate the idea, I think I'm gonna have to get the windows and hatch tinted, to cut down on the heat input into the system... wanted to keep the stock, original untinted look... but I just don't think it's manageable, even between the AC and sunroof open...
Old 09-19-2023, 08:13 AM
BauerR
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR

Also, as cold as the air output is, it still struggles to overcome the sun load. So as much as I hate the idea, I think I'm gonna have to get the windows and hatch tinted, to cut down on the heat input into the system... wanted to keep the stock, original untinted look... but I just don't think it's manageable, even between the AC and sunroof open...
I did this recently to my 951. I went one step further and used Xpel nano ceramic tint. Even did the front windshield and it's shocking how much of a difference it makes. The AC worked really well before but it''ll chase you out now
The following users liked this post:
924RACR (09-19-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 10:34 AM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pretty close to being able to call this engine bay finished. Now the detailing of the exterior begins.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:56 AM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Basically been enjoying and slowly cleaning up the paint on the 931. The weather has limited my enjoyment somewhat but the car is running and driving beautifully. I have my 79 928 also back home so I won't get bored now that this is done. Just got this from Porsche. The rep on the phone told me it was a "program car" but couldn't tell me what that meant exactly except to tell me that it would take longer to get the information.

Old 02-01-2024, 05:07 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I love the two-tone 931s... they were the new thing just as I was discovering Porsche as a kid. Your color combination is beautiful. I love the interior and that new carpet looks so good.

The engine now has a very clean and well-maintained appearance. Huge improvement.

Is that under hood pad an OEM unit or something other? Trying to decide what to do on my own...
Old 02-01-2024, 05:16 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 500
I love the two-tone 931s... they were the new thing just as I was discovering Porsche as a kid. Your color combination is beautiful. I love the interior and that new carpet looks so good.

The engine now has a very clean and well-maintained appearance. Huge improvement.

Is that under hood pad an OEM unit or something other? Trying to decide what to do on my own...
thank you!! It's a reproduction hood pad set. PORSCHE still sells the originals but due to different manufacturer lots, the color is different from one side to another so I returned them and got the repro

Quick Reply: 1980 924 Turbo Project