Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 944 Zobelbraun metallic Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 10:45 AM
Gasngo
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Gage
Oh man! I'm excited for you yet simultaneously sympathetic. That is a whole lot of assembly and while none of it is really difficult... not having removed it, at least once, makes it a great deal more challenging. I really hope the paint can be saved so you won't have to go too far backward. It may be beneficial to find another early 944 local to you to be used as a model for reassembly.
I have not looked at the thread until this morning. Im with Gage pretty cool and pretty scary! Ill say by looking at you shop set up it appears you can handle the task. Take your time and lots of PB blaster or Kroil on the rust and theres eough experience in this forum to put it back together. By the way I like the early BMW 530s. Nice balance between performance, ride, looks and size. I really like the dash layout. I know where a decently preserved model Im just not sure the situation. Good luck and if I can help in anyway would be more the happy to. I have been tied up but hopefully Ill have my fuel tank out buy the end of the weekend. Here a link I found to a alternative fuel sender If you have already seen it. You have along ways to go 100$ verse 300$ new not a bad deal.

https://fuelsafe.com/sending-unit-fuel-sender/
Old 12-18-2021, 01:09 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Gasngo, Thx for the comments. Sounds like you're having the same fun as me. I did get the transaxle out last night. Really not that hard at all. 4 bolts on the bellhousing and 2 holding the mounts. I had to be careful of the plastic shift rod tube but it didn't get damaged. Thx for the link for the sender. I does say SAE 5 hole mounting pattern,I wonder if that would line up with the 944s 5 bolts? I was planning to try to save my original, or probably buy a used one. This is a good option though

As for the 530i, its a great car. I got lucky with this one. It sat in an underground for 28 years. so its almost rust free which is rare for these rustbuckets. It was complete, unmolested, the interior is pretty mint. It had a lot of problems similar to this car from sitting . The fuel tank was rusted right through. And yeah the dash is beautiful in these old e12s VS the newer e28. I equate the e12 to the e28 in a similar way as the early 944 to the late 944. Both early versions are more old fashioned, more Euroish looking IMHO. Weirder and quirky. Unlike the 944 the BMW e12 was an ungalvanized rusting nightmare. For those of you not interested in BMWs, my apologies for mentioning them here. I know its probably Verboten!
Both the 530 and 944 were cars I drooled over when I was younger so its great own another dream car of mine. Only a hundred more to go. LOL

Also thx for the offer of help. I appreciate it. I may PM you if I do run into a problem. Keep watching here, I'm sure you'll see me get into all kinds of trouble. I'm pretty good with the BMWs but this is the first Pcar I've had and I'm out of my league right now, although so its been great , I definitely think these cars are easier to work on in many ways compared to some others. Although burying the tank in the middle of the car isn't so convenient Haha. I would be pulling the tranaxle anyways to reseal etc anyways . Next for me will be getting that tank out. Not sure when I'll be able to tackle that with Christmas etc. Cheers Dave

Old 12-18-2021, 01:12 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Link to Youtube video. Lots of futzing around trying to save that plastic tube. And mumbling to myself.

Last edited by maybeillbuyit; 12-18-2021 at 01:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joseph mitro (01-04-2022)
Old 12-18-2021, 02:27 PM
Gasngo
Racer

I believe the OE sender is SAE now that being I have not actually got a caliper and put the exacts to it but Im pretty sure. Clarks Garage Web site has the specs on ohms and that unit fits as good as its going to get. If you find a good used one run with it but my money will go new most likely. There a was post on that sender somewhere in the forum Ill find it eventually.

Last edited by Gasngo; 12-18-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:36 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gasngo
I believe the OE sender is SAE now that being I have not actually got a caliper and put the exacts to it but Im pretty sure. Clarks Garage Web site has the specs on ohms and that unit fits as good as its going to get. If you find a good used one ruin with it but my money will go new most likely. There a was post on that sender somewhere in the forum Ill find it eventually.
Right ok, good to know. Thx for that, I'll keep that in mind
Old 12-21-2021, 03:52 AM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Few pics of the greasy dirt caked lump of transaxle . Amazing how much dirt was caked on it. This car must have been driven down a lot of dirt roads. The oil that came out of it didn't look bad at all.

Both mounts looked good when still in the car but have separated

Old 12-21-2021, 09:39 AM
Gasngo
Racer

The Ole puddy knife! I yet have had a chance to get me car to the lift but from what I saw Ill experience the same thing. Are you thinking short shifter. I know mine is loose and its one of the things I thought I would do while its apart. I have done done tid bits of reading but not enough to narrow down what would be best. Stay at it. Got tot run here.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:32 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gasngo
The Ole puddy knife! I yet have had a chance to get me car to the lift but from what I saw Ill experience the same thing. Are you thinking short shifter. I know mine is loose and its one of the things I thought I would do while its apart. I have done done tid bits of reading but not enough to narrow down what would be best. Stay at it. Got tot run here.
I haven't thought too much about short shifters. I did notice the pin on the shifter was worn a fair bit so that will need replacing. I'll look into short shifters at some point
Old 12-21-2021, 11:38 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 155 Posts

Nice progress! As a side note: please be sure that the two small spacers (dowel sleeves) present on the bellhousing (or transaxle) to properly align the transaxle during reassembly. Sometimes they go missing which results in a slightly askewed alignment (part no. 46 : 019-301-153).

Last edited by pfarah7; 12-21-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:46 AM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

pfarah7, Thx for the heads up. I'm aware or the alignment dowels, and they are both present in the transaxle bellhousing. I made sure I cleaned ,polished and lubed the ones in my BMW bellhousing when doing the manual swap. I've read stories of guys having all kinds of problems getting the dowels to slide nicely into their holes and cause grief during installation. with all the dirt and crap on this one its a full on cleaning project. I appreciate the advise
Old 12-22-2021, 11:03 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Not wanting to purchase the new transmission mounts for my car, they were starting to de-laminate, but not as bad as yours, I filled them with 3m window sealant/urethane compound. Hope that they hold up.Mine sat in a field for about 10 years..let me know if you need help..glad to assist. See if you can contact VDO America direct..about the sender..they won't sell to you unless you're an authorized vendor...but you can find one that will help you beat the high cost of Porsche..I did this when I used a VDO sender for another car project...required a custom built fuel gauge, and the builder wanted the sender prior to starting the project for calibration. I used the VDO unit because it was easier to put into the fuel cell...BTW..don't take it apart there are very fine guide wires inside that will break by looking at them. just sayin..
Old 12-23-2021, 01:33 AM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Not wanting to purchase the new transmission mounts for my car, they were starting to de-laminate, but not as bad as yours, I filled them with 3m window sealant/urethane compound. Hope that they hold up.Mine sat in a field for about 10 years..let me know if you need help..glad to assist. See if you can contact VDO America direct..about the sender..they won't sell to you unless you're an authorized vendor...but you can find one that will help you beat the high cost of Porsche..I did this when I used a VDO sender for another car project...required a custom built fuel gauge, and the builder wanted the sender prior to starting the project for calibration. I used the VDO unit because it was easier to put into the fuel cell...BTW..don't take it apart there are very fine guide wires inside that will break by looking at them. just sayin..
Thx for the reply. I have already been searching up re-enforcing the transaxle mounts with urethane. Looks pretty easy, just hope the urethane can take the flexing.. Thx for the offer of help, I may take you up on that. Although probably not for a while.....LOL. I'll be looking at the sender soon. Good idea contacting VDO.
I took apart a sender for my BMW and I'd say they are the exact same construction. I managed to clean it all without damaging the wires. I've also seen a tutorial on the e9 coupe forum I believe of a guy resoldering new wire into a sender to repair it.
Thx for the tips, I appreciate it.
Dave

Last edited by maybeillbuyit; 12-23-2021 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:55 AM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

OK so a few more little updates. I haven't done much over Christmas. I did manage to to clean up the transaxle a bit more. I also pulled off the balance shaft pulleys and the rear timing cover to so I could have a look at the water pump. The PO put a new one in years ago just before his resto stalled, I was hoping it would be OK even after sitting for so long but no luck there. There as a bit of a mess in there and the pump looks nasty. I guess there was a little coolant left inside .

Looks like a Genuine Porsche pump? Too bad it never even got to go into service

The pump area of the block cleaned up ok though. I also remove the front spark plug to put my borescope down but being at TDC the piston is right there stopping the camera.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:36 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

wow that is one seriously gunky transaxle, and helluva cleaning job!

I love the youtube video with "mumblings to myself." reminds me of myself
Old 01-05-2022, 02:41 AM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
wow that is one seriously gunky transaxle, and helluva cleaning job!

I love the youtube video with "mumblings to myself." reminds me of myself
Thx, Since that photo I've spent way to much time cleaning the transaxle even more. I also spend a lot of time talking to myself while I work, rarely do I listen tho. LOL

Quick Reply: 1984 944 Zobelbraun metallic Project