Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The (very long) story of my AMW rebuild experience.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 08:12 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
Johnny - how could you "rule" either way since you dont have the facts (or at least one version of them). For that matter has it even been posted what occured to Jonas' car? Seems a bit premature.
I went and read the previous posts provided by Kevin. I was the victim of a PO who did not reveal the 1500 mile retension still needed to be done. I do not like the idea of fixing cheap to sell and witholding information about known problems.

As far as "ruling" I was responding to Tom R's post. I will look at Jonas' post with an open mind but as a recent purchaser I have a bias.

Since this is Dave's thread I will stop talking about Jonas.

Still waiting John Anderson?
Old 02-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My attention...

Originally posted by Devia
It has been brought to my attention that I was mentioned in this thread.

Let it be known that I am NOT A MECHANIC!
But.....

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night??
Old 02-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Geo
Race Director

Default Re: My attention...

Sorry

Hiccuped.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:04 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Holiday Express and Hijacking thread

Geo said, "Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night??"

I wish, better than being sick all week and staying at home.

I think we have hijacked this thread enough...

Back to you, Dave!

- Julie
Old 02-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, It looks like John would prefer to run and hide. I think that sucks for both of us and for Rennlist as a whole. I'm away for a long weekend in VA and can't take much of this dial-up so I may not check this thread for a few days, OTOH, looks like John's given up so there isn't much to check. He hasn't answered my PM and I doubt he'll be posting here.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:48 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally posted by Dave
Well, It looks like John would prefer to run and hide. I think that sucks for both of us and for Rennlist as a whole. I'm away for a long weekend in VA and can't take much of this dial-up so I may not check this thread for a few days, OTOH, looks like John's given up so there isn't much to check. He hasn't answered my PM and I doubt he'll be posting here.
Coward!

I will get in touch with a friend or two from law school that practice out on the left coast if you want. problem is the coward probably doesnt have a pot to **** in or a window to throw it out of,so if you win, you collect a garage full of "precision" crafted parts. HA!.

I hope you can tell me I owe the coward an apology for calling the coward a coward. I, and im sure a lot of board members would get great pleasure reading my apology. Too bad I dont think I mistyped.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:52 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally posted by jonnybgood
I was the victim of a PO who did not reveal the 1500 mile retension still needed to be done. I do not like the idea of fixing cheap to sell and witholding information about known problems.
I couldnt agree more. had I known the head gasket was replaced, I wouldnt have paid to have the oil cooler seals done three times, and the system flushed five times. i wouldnt have paid a premium (or as much of a premium)for the car either.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Come on John, we know you're reading this....
Old 02-28-2004, 03:01 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Mediation

Now it has popped up in my head, that I recall that John D. will try to mediate for actual Rennlisters. John A. is a paying member, and so is Dave.

It seems to me that Dave and/or John A. could ask John D. for help, in solving this, rather than everyone getting all upset, and torching each other.

Also, John A. could ask John D. for help in mediating a peaceful outcome with Jonas.

John D. has helped people out this way, over the last year. Give it a chance, but you HAVE TO ASK, not me!

It's all in your hands, guys.

- Julie
Old 02-28-2004, 05:15 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know what John D could really do here- I mean, he could respond, or delete the thread, etc, but, there's really nothing here that's been THAT bad as far as offensiveness, etc- the legal issue w/Jonas has already started, so I doubt John D could help there at all & as for Dave, well, JA wont even respond to him- if he had not responded to Jonas, then, he might be able to say he hadn't seen it, or, had been out of town, etc, but, he did respond- I've always thought JA was a pretty good guy, but, it DOES scare me a little when something so serious has been posted & he wont respond at all... I wont pass judgement until I know a LITTLE more, but, at this point, things are not looking good... I HATE to hear horror stories like the one Dave has gone through & it would be hard for me to believe that JA couldn't have done things at least a little better- whether or not he's entirely at fault, well.... ??? Going through something like this really ruins the whole experienced of owning one of these cars- I haven't had it nearly that bad & I'm pretty sorry I bought my car, actually- I'm just so far in & feel I can't get out- I like the idea of what one of these cars CAN be, so I keep on going... I'm at ~$25K- I paid $9K for the car originally- 4.5yrs ago- engine still needs a full rebuild & car needs painting, plus, several misc things too....I guess I'm ~$15K away- that's $40K- it would HAVE to be a WHOLE LOT nicer than a brand new Turbo S to be worth THAT much... I'm sure it wont be worth all I've paid, but, I'm hoping I can get it closer to being worth it- if the next $15K are WORTH $15K, I'll be turning BACKFLIPS....
Old 03-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just got home. There's nothing like 7 hours of driving a minivan to make you love your Porsche! I wanted to check my Email to see if John had replied to me before he left, I didn't really think he would have but I didn't want to post without checking.
I earlier mentioned that John and I had reached an agreement. John felt that sending me a second motor left him off the hook and pointed out that the second motor had a few "upgrades" that would have cost me a couple grand (his number was $2800) if I had asked for them. I reminded him that we had discussed the crank work when we planed the first engine and I had made a choice that I didn't want it (the cost then was $750). The only other non-stock parts in the engine are the pistons, John claims they are euro pistons and they did have less "dish" but I didn't confirm that they were euro pistons. In hind sight I guess they could be from a 1988 or something and since John's word seems to be worth less than I thought at the time I should have checked so I'd know what is in my car. Do a set of euro pistons really go for $2050 more than US pistons??? (Maybe he charged extra for the blue rod!)
I also pointed out that I was NOT claiming that he'd promised to cover all the labor. He had told me that "he'd work something out with me" and I only expected what he'd offered at the time. After going through my receipts I gave him a total of $4434.96, I didn't search out every last seal and gasket from my $12K in invoices, I just grabbed the obvious items and added them up. John was sent copies of most of the receipts months ago and I offered to send the more recent ones if he wished and also offered to resend any of the early ones. John replied that my numbers seemed fair and offered to "split it", I felt that it was fair and agreed. John sent me an email that he was a little short on cash and would need a "couple days" to scrape the cash together. As my earlier post stated, I gave John 4 weeks before contacting him again and his reply was a somewhat criptic mention of used parts. I have heard nothing since that message.
I am saddened that John has put both of us through this and I'm stunned that John has left Rennlist. John left Rennlist over a $2217 issue with me and a currently unexplained issue with Jonas. I suspect that the end of AMW is near if he can't come up with this amount of money to reimburse a customer for costs that were a result of his own errors. I wish Jonas luck and if he is successful I may ask for contact info for his lawyer, I won't be spliiting anything then and I'll be looking for every last o-ring! Hopefully there's something left of AMW to take!
Old 03-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Well for what it is worth I just purchased three Euro pistons from a fellow Rennlister for $300. They look like new. I found a fourth for $50. So I have a complete set for $350 including rods. I could have bought a new in the box set of Euro's that would list at like $1800 IIRC so I can't imagine where $2050 OVER US pistons would come from.

BTW the first motor that had the circlip missing from the wrist pin had US '88 pistons in it. If they are OK you could easily sell them for good money. If I were you I would start parting out that engine in addition to any thought of dealing with an attorney.

If wish you luck. I have been in this business for longer than I care to say and it's my opinion that John has more issue's than meet's the eye.

Running away is only going to hurt him more in the long run. Such is life.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:55 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Chris Prack
If wish you luck. I have been in this business for longer than I care to say and it's my opinion that John has more issue's than meet's the eye.
Yes, I think I would agree w/that...

This whole thing just sickens me... I'm really starting to wish I had pushed a few fellow RL's into posting their probs w/JA- it might have saved a lot of htis trouble for you guys- maybe not, but... JA was always a decent sounding guy- he always said the right things, etc- usually though, the people closer to him, geographically, got taken care of eventually- that leaves us eastcoasters SOL... it really is a prob for us to deal w/people on the opposite side of the country...
Old 03-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Flight_951
Pro

AMW's record with the California Better Business Bureau is "unsatisfactory" due to unanswered complaints (one complaint anyway). This is public knowledge on the BBB website.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:58 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Flight_951
AMW's record with the California Better Business Bureau is "unsatisfactory" due to unanswered complaints (one complaint anyway). This is public knowledge on the BBB website.
I'm curious- how easy is it to get info from the BBB AND, can anyone SEND the BBB information about negative experiences, etc, & how simple is THAT to do? I wonder how they filter out bogus charges, etc or if there is any way they try to regulate it at all(?)...

Quick Reply: The (very long) story of my AMW rebuild experience.