Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The (very long) story of my AMW rebuild experience.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right Pete. I think he'd be too embarrassed to respond publicly....
Old 01-20-2004, 08:30 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

i'm new to the porsche world and car mechanics in many ways. But, i'm not new to business, and more important - a reputation.

i find this thread thought provoking in many ways. dave, i feel your pain and sense you've tried to handle it in a mature way. seems you often afforded AMW your trust and went along with their actions to satisfy the ongoing problems.

I, also get the impression AMW knowingly sent you "not as promised" components, and dare i say, continued to not ship the gasket to delay on purpose. Why, who knows? - lots of reasons.

IMO, they owe you a quality rebuild - you paid for it. I also think you should have shipped that **** right back to him, and not have been so focused on missing track time. I believe if AMW doesnt make good on a motor, they will suffer far more publicly.

apologizing in advance if this pisses anyone off.

submit
Old 01-20-2004, 10:39 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tools and Manuals: $1000
Parts: $3000
Many late nights: ???
Perfect rebuilt engine: Priceless

I'm glad I can do it myself!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:49 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

My telephone is 619-258-8671, and my email at the shop is

v3r5racer@yahoo.com

Get in touch, and we will put an end to this.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:00 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Dave
Either way (here or privately), but I'm not holding my breath.
I stand corrected.

You've got mail John.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great, let's get a nice finish to this story!
Old 01-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Dave
Race Car

I hope so Damian!
For the record, John and I have been in contact with each other by Email.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:07 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

I think I speak for everyone in the we would like to hear if the issue was resolved to your liking.
Please keep us informed.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I like Tom R's attitude. He can attack and defend both sides of ownership of his 944 along with other cars he owned in the past from previous threads. I had 1st gen rx7s and agree with his views on the LSD of any GSL models dating back to 81. Also, I had mullets (nothing as nice as his) and enjoy what they are made for but also criticize their shortcomings. I believe this type of attitude is useful for new potential buyers of 944s lurking on the site because it represents a true picture of operating a 944. Just my .02.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:56 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

I like my 944, but I don't like it that much.....
Old 01-21-2004, 09:43 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

hey maybe all the tuners will go out of biz this way there will be no one to complain about.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 117 Likes on 85 Posts

Lego,
Thanks for interpreting what i write with the spirit it was written.

I try to put forth objective observations. I've had enough cars over the last 25 years to know what was designed right or wrong - not that i would now how to design it better, just what i think others designed better. better quit now before foot goes into rennlist mouth.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:36 AM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Dave, I wasn't neccessarily saying that AMW start a thread begging forgiveness, but when I F**K something up for whatever reason on my job (my own lack of time/planning, short-sightedness, excess business, etc), I am VERY quick to stand up and say "I screwed up" and then MAKE it right (not a promise to make it right, ACTION of making it right). I don't do this for public forgiveness; I do it because I am ACCOUNTABLE for ALL my actions and decisions. Good, bad, indifferent.

Repeat bizz is what it's ALL about in the catering industry, and something I've learned in 8 years is that you can more or less f**k up in ANY way (and BELIEVE me, I have), so long as you make EVERY effort to put things right. There ARE some people who will never be pleased, but were I to meet someone as patient as you, Dave, I'd go to the ends of the service earth for you. REGARDLESS of how much things get screwed up you can almost always salvage, and promote customers' loyalty. If you don't then customers will sense that in your actions and deeds and take it elsewhere.

I didn't mean to take your thread to a let's flame AMW party, Dave. I was just speaking honestly; and it's still just my opinion. I tend to knock the flowery words off of things and call things as I see it. Which reminds me how ODD it is that reconciliation seems imminent only AFTER this thread reached 6 pages. I mean no ill will towards AMW, and I've since edited some less-than-nice words in my previous post. Hope things work out, Dave.

ROCK that Mullet, Tom. The older one rocks up to ELEVEN, dude!
Old 02-23-2004, 02:16 PM
Dave
Race Car

UPDATE:
I have had a number of people ask if this was ever resolved and I thought the best way to close this thread was by updating it.
John and I sent a dozen emails back and fourth over a period of about a day. We managed to agree on a number and ended with John writing that he needed a few days to work out the financial details. I waited 4 weeks and heard nothing from John about it, last week I sent an PM simply stating that I hadn't heard from him, I didn't want to put him on the defensive but felt that he should have been in touch by now. The following day I got a PM back from him, stating that he wanted to "get square" and had a shop full of used parts if I needed anything.

Does it look like I need anymore used parts? I didn't pull out the boxes of small stuff for the picture, either!
I responded Thursday morning with a brief PM that he needed to go into more detail. I had been expecting a check or something like that based on where we had left this last month so I was a little confused.
John has not responded to my last PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:23 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless there's a mint condition '86 944 in that pile, used parts wont pay the bills (so to speak)!?

A check would be more like it. Good luck!

Quick Reply: The (very long) story of my AMW rebuild experience.