My 1967 912 Build Thread - Page 37 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

My 1967 912 Build Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 06:32 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Lifter looks okay to me...could not get a clear photo... If I try to seat the push rod, it sits fine... I will order a new push rod and try again...

Old 10-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Push rod ordered. Should arrive in around 4 days. Will report back once everything is in place.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:33 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

The eternal optimistic...I hope nothing else was damaged in the process. Hoping others chime in with comments.

Other observations. When I pumped the gasoline with the manual pump...lots of leaks from the carbs... adjusted all the nuts and bolts, all those leaks stopped. This was way before starting the car. After the car ran, did not see any other gas leaks.

No leaks from anywhere in the engine. I know ot was a brief run, but happy nonetheless to still see everything dry.

The fact it started so easy...was happy there for a moment.

Fingers crossed that there is no additional harm done...
Old 10-16-2018, 02:46 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

A couple of photos... cowl arrived. Additional filters (for both the stock filter and the additional full flow system from Ron)

and a magnetic swivel spark plug socket...

Also ordered a VDO dual sender (oil pressure and idiot light), like that in the photo below, so that I can monitor oil pressure while doing the break-in on the stand. I got a VDO oil pressure gauge on the temporary panel...

Push rod should be here Thursday... hoping to start it again Friday...
Old 10-20-2018, 12:14 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Dude! Looks great. I don't think you have anything to worry about with the pushrod issue. I have seen way worse with home built VW engines that lasted for years & years with other pushrod snafus. Roll on! Good progress.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:16 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr Michael B View Post
Dude! Looks great. I don't think you have anything to worry about with the pushrod issue. I have seen way worse with home built VW engines that lasted for years & years with other pushrod snafus. Roll on! Good progress.
I sure hope so. I got the push rod and when installing I noticed roughness on the rocker and shaft. Looks like the pushrod being incorrectly installed also damaged the rocker shaft. I have sent those to Partklassik for reconditioning again (most likely it will mean a new rocker shaft). Will report back once those parts get in.

Oh, and also found a new set of throttle levers...could not resist and ordered a set

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-912...item3d5ce3693d
Old 11-10-2018, 01:31 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

It is alive!!! I set the timing at idle with the timing light I had.. now I just need to learn how to adjust the carburetors... I have the documents Mike Horton shared. I just need to follow the steps in there... wohoooo!!!

Second run

Third run

Fourth run

How long do I have to let it run for the break-in???
Old 11-10-2018, 04:28 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

This is just great! Well done.

My rebuild got a 20 minute break-in for the cam. Then a 200 mile stretch of variying RPM (under 4000) with no full throttle pass. Then I started to drive it under around 4000 RPM with an occasional roll up to 6000 (still not full throttle). At 500 miles I changed the oil & drove it like I would normally, including full throttle for fun.

I adjusted the Webers on mine three times in total, and may make it four soon!
Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mr Michael B View Post
This is just great! Well done.

My rebuild got a 20 minute break-in for the cam. Then a 200 mile stretch of variying RPM (under 4000) with no full throttle pass. Then I started to drive it under around 4000 RPM with an occasional roll up to 6000 (still not full throttle). At 500 miles I changed the oil & drove it like I would normally, including full throttle for fun.

I adjusted the Webers on mine three times in total, and may make it four soon!
Thank you. In addition to the synchrometer (have it already), I will order the P78 and P25a tools to adjust the carbs. I have been reading on the process and watching a couple of videos. I did not do this while I had them on the bench...I should have...

https://porsche356registry.org/article/47
Old 11-16-2018, 10:22 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Got the P78 tool from Stoddard and Tim was kind enough to give me the vial needed with paper clip and all

Also found a chrome face plate for my radio. Finally! And it did not cost me a gazillion dollars like every other one that I was coming across...

Old 12-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Received the chrome trim from Germany. Radio is done!

A couple of photos taking it apart to check the light bulb...I order to spares only to find out that the one in there was working... it was just green.

Also one photo with the metal plate to correct the hole made by the previous owner when he installed a larger radio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1967 912 Build Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: