912 Forum 1965-1969

My 1967 912 Build Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool My 1967 912 Build Thread

Similar to my other threads...starting one for bringing back the 912 to a decent condition.

1967 Porsche 912
Engine: 751692
Transmission: 235 346
VIN: 459557
Color: 63 6602 L - Polo Red, polorot
Distributor - Bosch Cast Iron 022

Purchased date: January 8, 2014

Modifications: Seine Systems Gate Shift Kit

Condition: So far, and I will add as I continue to discover areas of needing attention, it needs a complete paint job, rust repair, rebuild tired engine, redo the interior... outside of that, it is great Looks to be original, all trim pieces are there.

Photos of when I got it:

Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

A few more photos...

A few photos of the ugly... making a list of stuff that needs attention...

1. Paint. It is beyond recovery. To the point that I thought it was painted red oxide... nope, it is the paint job that is past its prime... complete respray will be required.

2. Interior needs redoing. All trim bits and pieces are there... just needs new paneling to recover in new leather or vinyl...

3. Rust... see photos... driver floorboard, rear passenger bucket, bottom corners of windshield and rear window, passenger side, lower sill. And there is a spot of rust in one of the bumpers (red circled spot in the photo).

Driver floorboard:

Rear passenger bucket seat area:

Lower corners in front and rear glass frame...

Looking from inside the engine bay to the corners of the rear glass area:

Passenger side sill:

Bumper:

4. Engine... need to go over with photos of other similar engines to see what is missing or hacked. Seems to be almost all there. I have the PET and will check diagrams and part numbers. First order of things is to clean it up well and then look again to see condition. Engine runs, but a rebuild is also in order.

5. Exhaust system looks fine, just needs to be ceramic coated to bring it to looking like new.

6. I need to drive it (owner had different seats and the kept and original seats should be here on Saturday), but looks like shocks are needed all around.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

A few more photos...

Toolkit:

Door panels need work as well...

So those the steering wheel center cover. All guages work but could use restoration... not sure cleaning alone will bring the back to looking like new.

I forgot to take the original radio with me... will do so when I go get the seats this Saturday

Car has a Seine Systems gate shift kit... but original shifter was included

This only needs to be cleaned and polished... that was just cleaning it with my hand for the photo...

Rear seats

Removed the door panel to check the internals... all fine. Also took the time to fix the door handle as you could not open the door from the outside. Simple fix as it was that the push button was outside of the mechanisim. Back in place and it is woking now.

Doing a lot of reading to learn more about these early cars... While reading I found that the wheels have the year on them... so I checked all 5 wheels.

2 (one on the car and the spare) have 69, the other 3 have 66 stamped on them...cool to know...

The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (07-13-2020)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I have a new one in a box somewhere... but for now I just fixed the one that the car had:

Question on these. Washer (part number 91154255648) does not seem to be available (NLA everywhere I look), the bushing (part number 64454255800) is

New part (64454255800):

How easy it is to take it apart to replace that part? Or am I risking breaking additional parts that might not be available?? Both side window are working and locking as designed...

Or should I just polish the hell out of that metal and leave it alone?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I pick up the seats on Saturday... but could not wait to drive it... I know, I know, very irresponsible of me... Anyway, transmission is working fine. It was just a drive around the block.

Since I have no clue as to how these early cars drive... can't judge the ride, but it felt like it needed a complete refresh of the suspension... I plan to go over all of that in due time... again, since this is the first time I drive one, it might just be how they are...but I doubt it...

Brakes also work. I need to remove the wheels and inspect condition as well to validate it is all there and in good condition.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

THAT SPORT CHAIR IS AWESOME!

Heated?

You prob know this - but http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/ for small bits etc.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mr Michael B
THAT SPORT CHAIR IS AWESOME!

Heated?

You prob know this - but http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/ for small bits etc.
That place has a lot of parts with better prices than the usual places that I buy from. Thank you!!

Last edited by Wachuko; 01-10-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:58 PM
flpaindoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

I did the transfer and got the new tag today... Since it was an out of state car I had to drive it in for them to validate the VIN... I installed a seat I had since the blue chair was not going to work for a longer trip

I am legal baby!!!

Now wearing her badge again...

Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

This will be interesting to follow as well. Love that early dash.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

A bad camera and a washed car that is still wet... perfect to dream of how it can look with fixing the paint job

That is all for tonight... I need to work on fixing the steering rack on the 964 and then I can go back to cleaning and making the list of parts to order and priority order of fixes for the 912...

Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Question

Two video clips of engine bay... Started reading on these engines to see what/how to fix what I find. Also searching for video clips to see what a healthy engine should sound like and looking to see what is missing or incorrect in the engine bay.

In the video you can see that there is a lot of blow back coming from the hose that is supposed to go into the carb filter... I will do a compression test, but guessing that valve guides are gone...

Recommendations on course of action are welcomed.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter Graham
Only can very worn exhaust guides cause blowby (exhaust gas into crankcase) and then not appreciable amounts; most likely rings. Start with a valve adjustment, do an entire tune up if warranted, then compression test (on warm motor) and possibly a leak down test if one or more cylinders indicate weak on the compression test. Listen to exhaust, intake, oil filler canister (with cap off) to see where leak down pressure is escaping: this will indicate problem.

Peter
Thank you!

Being the eternal optimistic I was hoping that I did not have to take the engine apart that far

I will do some more cleaning and get ready to drop the engine for a rebuild then. No sense in delaying this step.

Also, car came with the Porsche 912 Owners Workshop Manual by Brooklands Books

Following the recommendations in the 912bbs forum, I also ordered the following book:

Porsche 912 Handbook

Old 01-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

New owner and excited to have found this car... so just channeling the excitement with a few more photos....

Old 01-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Front shocks seems to be working fine... rear shocks need to be replaced... got under the car to see if I could determine the type... BOGE.... I plan to replace them all with Koni shocks...

Last edited by Wachuko; 01-15-2014 at 12:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (07-13-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1967 912 Build Thread