Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??

Old 02-07-2008, 07:38 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JBL, The DP valance is very light and needed almost no fitting. I had to enlarge the cutout on the passenger side where the bellows is from the front bumper. The gel coat was great and the original bolt on trial fit was almost a "Leave it the Fk alone"! I cannot attest to any improved down force since I would imagine that would only appear at speeds that I fear to tread.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Possibility I'll be at LeSarthe, I think I'll be back in the UK in March sometime for sure. Still have your cell, I'll give you a ring when/if I get back, check out "the monster," and have a pint or two.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-11-2008, 10:52 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Always on the same number Jim, would be good to meet up whether in Le Mans or in the UK, drop me a line when you're over here and i'll buy the drinks.
Do you have any thoughts on the front valance and rear wing, you've spent some years around these cars on and off the track, would appreciate your thoughts. I need to make a decision quite soon as things are progressing, I like the look of Rudy's front so i'm happy to go with something similar, do you know anything about Better Bodies, is it decent gear or cheap crap? The rear wing is a bit of a headache as i don't know how much extra space the aftermarket wings (like the RS and GT2 ones in my earlier link) will give me over stock?
My mechanic is spending another two straight days on the car from tomorrow, i'm going to pick up K24 hybrids and cats tomorrow too and run them over to him, it's all coming together!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:01 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Jonathan,
I've always liked that DP front with the center duct, looks very Kremer-ish or "Martini Racing" if you know what I mean. For the rear I'm thinking you should maybe go with a modified 3.8RS style wing. I think about anything you do will involve some custom work so I'd maybe start with fitting something like that up. The other thing kind of coming out of the ether in my mind but I haven't fully thought out is something along the lines of today's 996 and 997 TTs with a flip-up on the very end of the "box-section to cover the ICs and then a stand-up wing like on the GT-3 RSRs currently running in ALMS and LeMans. I just haven't figured that one up in my mind yet.

If I get a minute tonight I'll try and do some rough sketches of what I'm talking about. Any thoughts of adding a diffuser under the rear? Again, take some pretty good fitting and fabrication effort, but I've always wondered with the wing and a diffuser what the handling would be like. Especially with that nose adding some front down force.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:59 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

There was a chap on Pelican working on a diffuser, in fact he is working on a whole underbody device.

Surely the GT2 tail will have more room than my 3.8RS tail has. Looking at the pics you posted Jonathan it sure does look that way. Notice how much further back the GT2 tail is.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:21 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Nathan and Jonathan,
I think the GT wing is the 3.8RS wing with the air scoops integrated into it. I think to get the right fit either one will have to have some work done for a proper fitment. The "bonnet" (engine lid) will have to be stretched to the rear and vertically I'd think and then the wing end plates fitted to that. Would kind of make it a little more "humped" looking. It might have the added advantage of getting the main plane up to about rear window height, making it more effective. The increased width wouldn't hurt either as far as downforce goes.

The other option would be to change the rear fenders and put both intercoolers in there with airflow entrances and exits on the fenders. Moving them up in front of the rear wheels would change the weight bias some and alleviate your bonnet and wing issue. It opens a whole kettle of fish though for the fenders' shape, mounting the ICs and duct work to get the air through them.

Geez Jonathan, pretty soon I'm going to have you building a 935 if I keep this up ;-)
Old 02-12-2008, 08:42 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Jim, i wouldn't feel happy with a really outrageous wing on the back, especially with the rest of the car looking almost stock, i think the GT2 style would be about as far as i could go and not have to wear a paper bag on my head! If i went all out and headed in the 934/935 direction i could live with it, but the UK is full of idiots with silly wings on their cars that are otherwise stock, it makes me cringe!

I've got some pics from today, you can see how much clearance the wing is going to need to clear the intercooler and still meet the bonnet catch. I'm getting the impression that i may need a different intercooler? I really hope i can find a solution to still use the stock one, or an "off the shelf" after-market one, having one made for the job is going to cost a fortune and probably won't be as efficient as stock. Anyone with a solution please chime in!

We managed to use the 993tt oil tank and stat, some custom oil lines were needed, there will no doubt be more needed to fit another oil cooler, nothing is ever straight forward is it

Old 02-12-2008, 09:08 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Any of you guys with big intercoolers in your cars would you mind taking some pics, from the side and rear along with which rear wing you went with, i'd really appreciate it, cheers
Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM
rsrfan
Instructor

JBL,
look at the DP style extended tails. This would give you plenty of clearance and retain a somewhat stock look.

JP
Old 02-12-2008, 03:19 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

That was just what I was thinking too, they come really far back.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:25 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Originally Posted by JBL930
the UK is full of idiots with silly wings on their cars that are otherwise stock, it makes me cringe!
My 930 was like that when I bought him
Old 02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Those DP extended wings look ok on full body kit cars, i think it would look silly on an otherwise stock car, has anyone got a pic of a standard looking 930 with just the DP extended tail? I may be wrong but i think it will look a bit clownish? Like wearing a suit, but with massive oversize shoes!
Does anyone know if the GT2 rear spoiler will fit, or if it can be cut around and made to fit? I don't want to jump in and purchase a wing to find it won't go on.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Looks good Jonathan, the engine is nestling in there nicely. Problems going to be getting the height far enough back on the hatch. Maybe you just want to cut the clearence in the stock bonnet and reshape it enough to cover everything?

I understand your point about ridiculous wings. Its really funny to see a $8k ragged out rice burner with a $1,000 multi-element wing stuck way up in the air and a "fart" can on the tail pipe. I'd like to keep it as stock as possible too. I just can't see where you're going to get the clearance. Any way you can angle the ICs from front to back? Of course than you need all new induction plumbing. Its a neat problem.

Wish I was nearby to really see what we're talking about. I can see what I think it is in my mind, but can't quite grasp the real magnitude of the issue because I don't know real interferences we're dealing with. A simple eloquent solution is what the user wants. I'll keep "ciphering" on it.

L8R for now,
Jim
Old 02-13-2008, 02:01 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I like the idea of cutting the stock tail and just fabricating something over the holes, i think done properly it might look quite good, i'll have another look when i'm there on friday. One of the biggest hurdles is the width, the pipes from the turbos to the intercooler stick way out, i might be able to have the end tanks modified and shortened slightly to give a bit more clearance, don't know how badly this would affect the performance of the intercooler though?

I'm not completely against this rear wing, what do you think?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:53 PM
rsrfan
Instructor

JBL,
the wing pictured looks good. I found the following two photos on the 930 pics thread and while the car is modified, I think that black works in your favor as far as subtlety goes.

Cheers,

JP
Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone with a 993tt engine in a 930??