Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 11:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Excuse me? One needs to be employed in the automotive field to build a fun 911? Shoot, I wish I would've known 12 years ago, coulda saved a ton of money.
How would you have saved a tonne of money?
Do you paint you own cars or build your own engines in your garage?

Last edited by tcsracing1; 05-17-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Apparently half this board is unqualified to work on their own cars.

Someone is unaware of threads like the one pictured below.

....and tcs, he is selling T-shirts.... and if you were not paying attention to the actual OP, he is selling restoration services. That is why we have this thread, is it not?
Id say half the board can work on their cars and the other half think they can.... Realistically, not many people here are painting their own cars or buiding engines in their garage... Like i said, Magnus shops it out. No different then anybody else who is not a painter or builder. Hell, a lot of pro shops sub that stuff out too.

In this thread Magnus modified a car for a person that is now for sale. I havent seen him offer any restoration services to date.... Where have you seen him advertizing restoration services?
FYI Purpose of the thread was about the car if you were paying attention.....

Yeah he is selling some shirts, he is in the clothing business.

Clearly what Magnus is doing has been misinterpreted by many on this board and gone way over some people's heads.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
How would you have saved a tonne of money?
Do you paint you own cars or build your own engines in your garage?
All the goodies I specified, bought and installed: If I'd known I couldn't work on my own car, since I'm not employed thusly, I'd never have done it.

No on paint.

Ummmm, yes on engines, suspension, brakes, interior, etc. Case in point:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ild-redux.html
Old 05-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cheekybird
Not sure why everybody is hating on the guy. I would not have purchased my Porsche's if hadn't stubbled upon his enthusiastic blog. All the complaining about his designs, customizations etc. and 99% percent of you guys have gone out and purchased after market intakes, suspensions, exhaust, wings, bumpers, rims, aero kits etc. and that is OK, right. You can disagree about the price and that is fine but knocking his customizations is throwing stones at glass houses. I have never heard him say he is a wrencher or claimed to be anything other than a collector and enthusiast. Here is a photo of some of his disjointed Porsches for 'ya.....
What don't you understand? I don't know that everyone is "hating" (what a great term!) on Magnus. It's great that he does what he does. Many here have done nice builds on their own, with as much performance and fun factor, for a lot less than what it would cost to buy one of his.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:56 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

All the goodies I specified, bought and installed: If I'd known I couldn't work on my own car, since I'm not employed thusly, I'd never have done it.

No on paint.

Ummmm, yes on engines, suspension, brakes, interior, etc. Case in point:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ild-redux.html
Bolt-ons and restorations are two different things.

I have also seen DIY restorations which look like DIY.....

So although some here have built for less, the level of quailty on a DIY sometimes lacks.... Gaps, paint, finishing etc...

Not saying Magnus cars are the standard... But they are decent.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

So although some here have built for less, the level of quailty on a DIY sometimes lacks.... Gaps, paint, finishing etc...

Why not go find another group to insult? You really know nothing of most of the cars that anyone here has developed. I built a pretty damned good motor, from the case bearings on out to the last nut on the exterior, and it wasn't stock. I was pretty proud of that, and the fact I substantially tore it down a second time to further the development of it, and it got better. I assembled and built a custom brake system-same for the suspension. These were the larger projects and far from bolt-on. They were only some of the things I did in 10 years with the car.

I think Ruby was "decent"

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...s-journey.html

You obviously are intimidated by working on cars. That's OK. Don't denigrate those that do, and those you really don't know anything about. Go "slum" somewhere else.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:25 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Why not go find another group to insult? You really know nothing of most of the cars that anyone here has developed. I built a pretty damned good motor, from the case bearings on out to the last nut on the exterior, and it wasn't stock. I was pretty proud of that, and the fact I substantially tore it down a second time to further the development of it, and it got better. I assembled and built a custom brake system-same for the suspension. These were the larger projects and far from bolt-on. They were only some of the things I did in 10 years with the car.
You obviously are intimidated by working on cars. That's OK. Don't denigrate those that do, and those you really don't know anything about. Go "slum" somewhere else.
Easy there big fella. I was stating
Magnus shops out his engines and paint. No differnet then most.
Not everybody here has the time to build an engine let alone the know how to build one. No insult. Just fact that most people here have day jobs and are not building motors for a living.
Not sure how you claim I am insulting everybody? I stated some here can, some think they can, and others cannot.
Didnt say Nobody here can wrench there cars....

You obviously can build a motor and Rudy was a great build with some great touches.
You can indeed save a tonne doing it yourself but not everybody here can do the same or a quality job of it.

I have been restoring cars since 1997 and own two restoration shops in north america. When I see people say they can do as good for cheaper (as good as a Magnus car for example) it is far and few in between. Again, Not meaning to say the magnus car is the benchmark. But some here thought Magnus was a self perclaimed do-it-all builder which in fact he says he is not.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 05-18-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Anyways, I like what MW has done to his car's, I like his builds. I appreciate the skill in which he's sold himself in the Porsche circle thru his obvious involvement with the marque. I also enjoy the way the guy looks, so non trad Porsche, nice to see dif folks involved not wearing Gucci shoes.
If you build your own motors etc. you are more skilled but not necessarily more of a car guy hence the reference to Jay Leno.
A few of my good friends have met MW at car functions and told me he's a good guy and down to earth.
He seems to be in a pretty sweet spot and that seems to irritate some folks for whatever reason and I see that articulated around the net.
Doubt it bothers him much.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Again, I'm not slamming the guy. I've met him too. Yeah, he's nice. My comments are observations about the insane values put on his cars, simply due to his association. They aren't so much different than many others. Certainly nothing on the level of a Singer. More power to him, he's built the mystique.

The Gucci shoe comment is so not applicable to those on this board. So, his "difference" isn't so contrasting in the air-cooled community. No more so than his contrast to society in general.

The only reason I brought any projects up, was in response to the comment about everyday people doing their own work.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Reiver
Drifting

C'mon Ed, word is you have Gucci bedroom slippers.....with initials on them
Old 05-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Slippers aren't the same as shoes.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Touche'
Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ya, paint and body is way over our heads.

Simple bolt-on projects is the limit for us employed North Americans inbreed types.
Attached Images                
Old 05-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Reiver
Drifting

inbred
Old 05-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ya, Ed, you, me, we ain't nothin'.
Attached Images