Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:55 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Tom, what do you think of my Mangus inspired interior?
Id say all our inspirations come from the same place. Porsche factory race cars...

I really dig your interior. RS inspired door panels but with modern power windows and speakers. The steering wheel is also a nice touch.

Typically a steering wheel can make or break a first impression of a car.

I also am a sucker for ducktails and Fuchs....
Old 05-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Door cards were from App-Biz and covered in course-cut suede. They still smell like the day I made them. Carpet is also from them. Black Perlon felt cut just for me. That was a project that was much easier than it looked. Wife often goes with and most drives last several days so the stock stereo had to stay functional. Wheel is a MOMO Prototipo in black. It is a perfect retro fit and feel for the car. ...and ya, the Fuchs will stay, even if I turn the sixes into eights.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:11 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
A friend of mine is redoing his 2.7 as we speak . He has been a Mac truck mechanic for years . is very knowledgeable on all kinds of engines.

last night we put it back in and fired it up . it ran amazing , just a couple of exhaust leaks to figure out.
I asked him about it and he said it was way more complex an engine than he ever could have anticipated. he said it was still within his skill set but didnt think it would be that complicated .. learned a few things the hard way along the way but he said he reall enjoyed it.

He put the whole thing together and the valve/ piston clearance was wrong. He toally missed the paragraph that said dry fit everything first ...
We laughed about it but he said he wasnt laughing when he did it .

All that to say there are many things on these engines a Monkey couldnt do ...
Funny thing, having done a 911 engine as my first, was that when (based on that build) I got the job at the race shop..............I kept bugging the owner about where the "rest of the parts" were on L-series Datsun, BMW M10, or VW Type 1 he'd have me building. The occasional American V-8 really had me bored.

I never considered myself a totally clueless 18 year old, and Anderson, Woods, Pasha, Peterson (Comptech) were never anything less than positive about me taking on the project. I've tried to do the same, young or old, since.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

Hey Ken , not to go too off topic but i read a story once that Jim Pasha lost a foot in an accident in a Boxster . i always wonderd if it were true . An idea?
Old 05-21-2014, 01:05 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Hey Ken , not to go too off topic but i read a story once that Jim Pasha lost a foot in an accident in a Boxster . i always wonderd if it were true . An idea?
Not sure. Know that one of the last times I saw him before he moved back to NC (?) he was pretty immobile. He certainly helped me big time from when I first got 911 #1 through the days I was hanging around GGR PCA, until I moved down to Phoenix to finish college at ASU. After I came back to go to law school, being a "veteran" shop owner (ha), he was full of knowledge on the four cylinder water cooled cars. And having spent the previous few years dealing with those POS, we didn't have too much to connect on anymore.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:15 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As the original starter of this thread, I just got caught up on the last few pages......and I am reminded why I don't spend much time here any longer.

Amazing how the cyber-bullies come out on these type threads.....yeah, you guys know who you are. Its too bad....because most of you have immense amounts of knowledge that many of us thrive to achieve, yet its clouded by a cantankerous attitude that is annoying, to say it mildly.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:48 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This has ended rather poorly.

Not what what we originally came here for.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon123
As the original starter of this thread, I just got caught up on the last few pages......and I am reminded why I don't spend much time here any longer.

Amazing how the cyber-bullies come out on these type threads.....yeah, you guys know who you are. Its too bad....because most of you have immense amounts of knowledge that many of us thrive to achieve, yet its clouded by a cantankerous attitude that is annoying, to say it mildly.
Well at least it wasnt me this time

I think we hit a high point and as usual things have settled down.

Ken yeah i had a similar experience . i had a 944S for years and found Jim a wealth of knowledge. But i drifted away from that car as i found them just too much of a pain ... thought it was all over for me ... but my son now has an eye on a neighbours 944 .. here we go again . its like the mob .. when you think you are out , you are pulled back in ..
Old 05-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon123

That's a bull**** statement: Cyber-bullies. Nobody is bullying.

There have been opinions on MW's builds by most here-that is what this board is for-dialog. There were some statements made that some of us took as a broad-brush appraisal on Porsche fanatics found on these forums, and we responded, from a position of pride.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

If by bullying you mean seeking clarification on disparaging comments, then ya, I was bullying. At least we are talking. Get past the dialect and look for the substance of what is being said. I knew that behind Tom's bluntness was the voice of experience and we could totally find common ground. Heck, I am sure I could hang out with that freak Mangus and love every second of it. Remember that you have to choose to be offended.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:17 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Ken yeah i had a similar experience . i had a 944S for years and found Jim a wealth of knowledge. But i drifted away from that car as i found them just too much of a pain ... thought it was all over for me ... but my son now has an eye on a neighbours 944 .. here we go again . its like the mob .. when you think you are out , you are pulled back in ..
Couple of years ago I did have a two week relapse with a '95 968 that dropped into my lap from a racing friend. Luckily, another friend (with a '72 T that he's restored and more-or-less kept original) was interested in one of those as a runaround car. Got my $6K back out of it, and maybe $2K and sweat equity later it's turned out to be a really nice car.

I've never faulted the chassis on them, just got depressed giving weekly bad news to owner of these (then new/newish) Porsches--cars that were lifetime goals and dreams realized. PCNA customer "service" basically lost a whole generation of lifetime owners with those early 944 sales, and how they treated them.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't get why Magnus fans always, and I mean always, treat him like some sort of precious snowflake.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
I don't get why Magnus fans always, and I mean always, treat him like some sort of precious snowflake.
Ball washers. .......OK, the nice term is hero worshipers. After all, Mangus was the first guy to ever customize a 911.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Thought we'd been down this path....part deux?
Old 05-21-2014, 03:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Ball washers. .......OK, the nice term is hero worshipers. After all, Mangus was the first guy to ever customize a 911.
OK, that's fair I guess. People do need someone to look up to I guess. It gives them comfort to worship a guy who, sans tattoos, is as white as the driven snow but flashes gang signs, and couldn't fake a Jamaican accent if he tried, despite the dreadlocks, and who is a Porsche icon that would need to fastidiously apply stage grease in order to pull off the look.

Quick Reply: Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs