Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
^ So your "impressions" carry some special weight versus, those of "some", as assigned by you?

To quote you: "WTF?". I am unmoved by your retort. I take it that we are to read your mind, not your posts.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:51 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug, I should show you what I've been doing lately with Pumpkinmobile. I love your work on the van, btw. If anyone can save her, it's you.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:02 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Doug, I should show you what I've been doing lately with Pumpkinmobile. I love your work on the van, btw. If anyone can save her, it's you.
I feel about an inch tall having missed the intake manifold gasket. Rookie mistake, I guess.

Have you ever thought about spinning your place into something like Burning Man? At the end of the pumpkin season but before Christmas, you could light up all the leftover pumpkins. It would look and sound something like this:

Old 05-20-2014, 12:22 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

And just so you don't think we all think alike..... Unlike Russell, I like the festooned look of his cars. Some are a bit much, but I have no problem with the flamboyant colors and exaggerated decals. Heck, just look at the '69-R lights on the back of my '88 and the CS-R in my sig. Really doug? It's a freakin' cab.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:35 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug, I'll send you a blackout decal from the pumpkin patch for the new van.

Here's an analogy to explain how funny the Texaco decal and racing numbers look on a non-racing Porsche - ever notice the guys who ride their racing bikes on the street, complete with sponsor attire? Come on, man that is a bit much! That would be like getting a triathalon racing number tattooed on your arm when you've never run in a triathlon ever. I can see backdating a car because you're making the car lighter, but putting plastic windows in a street car, not so much.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:49 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Doug, I'll send you a blackout decal from the pumpkin patch for the new van.

Here's an analogy to explain how funny the Texaco decal and racing numbers look on a non-racing Porsche - ever notice the guys who ride their racing bikes on the street, complete with sponsor attire? Come on, man that is a bit much! That would be like getting a triathalon racing number tattooed on your arm when you've never run in a triathlon ever. I can see backdating a car because you're making the car lighter, but putting plastic windows in a street car, not so much.
I obviously need to throw you the keys sometime and let you experience a light weight porsh. It ain't the same car. How much funner would your girlfriend be if she lost 300 poundes? And the stock front Tbars makes the green-light go's all that much more neck snapping. Besides, I'm certain a Texaco decal is good for at least half a horse.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:57 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Check this out. We did the Walker festoon to the Honda today. .....OK, we murdered out the Honda hood with Plastidip.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2014, 03:11 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rusnak, Ed whatever and Amber Lamps,

I still don't get your problem with Magnus Walker.

He has a passion for early Porsches as you all do and he likes to make them his, as he perceives.
Now, some people want their cars to be as they were created by Porsche, others like to modify them.
For those that have the skills as it appears at least Amber does, they do it them selves.
There are some really great build threads on RL and I am very envious as I would love to be able to do this myself.
Ok, Magnus, like the majority of us, can't do it himself.
But he has a vision and pays someone with the skills, to turn it into his vision.
He does know how to publicise and does so!
He is not a restorer, who is making videos of the cars he is building in order to sell the car on later, he is a collector!
His video's are made because he wants to tell you and I about his passion.
Personally, I like his video's and I like what he's doing with them.
They are professionally made and a bit of fun.
Oh, and I haven't seen any video where he is promoting dangerous driving in down town LA or anywhere else!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:32 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
Rusnak, Ed whatever and Amber Lamps,

I still don't get your problem with Magnus Walker.

He has a passion for early Porsches as you all do and he likes to make them his, as he perceives.
Now, some people want their cars to be as they were created by Porsche, others like to modify them.
For those that have the skills as it appears at least Amber does, they do it them selves.
There are some really great build threads on RL and I am very envious as I would love to be able to do this myself.
Ok, Magnus, like the majority of us, can't do it himself.
But he has a vision and pays someone with the skills, to turn it into his vision.
He does know how to publicise and does so!
He is not a restorer, who is making videos of the cars he is building in order to sell the car on later, he is a collector!
His video's are made because he wants to tell you and I about his passion.
Personally, I like his video's and I like what he's doing with them.
They are professionally made and a bit of fun.
Oh, and I haven't seen any video where he is promoting dangerous driving in down town LA or anywhere else!
"Ed whatever" That makes it all worth it.

STFUWHATEVERQ, let's put aside the tattoos, the heavy accent, the dreads, the tattered clothes, the ego, the social group, and focus on the driving since that's his shtick. There is no F-ing way you are defending him without knowing that the "Urban Outlaw" persona Mangus has crowned himself with is based on anything but his glorified, one man, high speed chases around Los Angeles. He says so himself over and over again. Watch Urban Outlaw and get back to me.

That didn't take long, did it? At 2:35 he starts bragging about street racing. Now, he doesn't go public with exploits of time spent on the Mulhulland International Speedway.....(AKA Mulhulland Hwy)

Oh SNAP. I guess he does....

At 2:46 he lets it slips that he is on the gas on Angeles Crest Raceway.....(AKA Death Row)...

Don't pay attention at the 4:00 mark.

Now, please, enjoy the cars and enjoy the drive....but dude... why ya gotta glorify street racing through my neighborhood???

"Urban Outlaw" isn't about being a checkbook mechanic....It's about endangering other people's lives in LA and anywhere else.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Your tone to anyone here who works on their own cars has been really nothing but antagonistic. See post 95 for the flavor of your comments. How do you expect us to respond to you?

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Actually my impression stands 100%. I said some here can, some think they can. Not sure how you would confuse it as if i said everybody here cannot....WTF?

I originally stated Magus does not do his own motors or paint not unlike most people here.... MOST. NOT ALL.......... for some reason select people took offense as if it was directed towards them as builders?? Again, i didnt say EVERYBODY... duh!
Had i said ALL... sure rant away....

They only thing ignorant here is how some feel that Magnus work has no quality to it...
Again, not saying his cars are the best, worth the money or the "benchmark" as I am not in love with them, but i have seen some people build garbage backdates and hotrod 911s and think they are awesome....

My impression is that there are people here that can do as good and better, but not all. If you find fault in that then you are saying everybody here is a master mechanic/builder....

Did you read my posts or somebody elses to gather this conclusion?
If you read back through my posts im sure it will become a little clearer...
Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Your tone to anyone here who works on their own cars has been really nothing but antagonistic. See post 95 for the flavor of your comments. How do you expect us to respond to you?
post #95 "quailty sometimes lacks"
Not meant to be a tone. More of an observation through experience.

Not to say it is a general rule of thumb but sometimes quailty does lack in a DIY simply based on tools, resources and experience levels. Does not apply to everybody and not pointed towards you or anybody else that have put in quality work into a build but there are some cars out there as i am sure you can agree.

Nothing wrong with DIY build. It is what the hobby is all about. But sometimes I have home builds come through the shop that are either being offered way over priced or require a lot correction work dispite what the owner/builder thinks...

If anything, it was an antagonistic tone for some here to think that a Magnus car is a slap together item that can be easily done at home for cheap by any backyard mechanic.

Again, my comments were not geared towards any specific person and I also never said "all" either. I merely stated "sometimes" in regards to DIY builds.

Not sure why that would get some builders panties in a knot as i was not singling out every DIY builder on Rennlist...
Old 05-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't understand how anybody would pay tons of money for his cars, but you gotta admire his marketing skills (or his team). He started with a simple blog (granted he had money to begin with from his clothing business - I have yet to see what he actually designs, but it looks to me he is remaking stuff from the thrift shop and rags from homeless folks... but he def put himself on the map within the R-Gruppe scene and is becoming a household name to your average Porsche buyer/driver. In fact, Porsche itself (at least the US devision) took note.

He created a look, brand, and narrative, and it works for him. Looks to me he is a good business man.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

I agree . he is a very good Marketer , he knows how to sell himself. I have absolutely nothing against the guy or what he does with the cars and what he personally does to them or what he has others do , to each his own.
Porsche Oakville when they opened their delaership really wanted to pull in classic cars for serviceing and started a classic shop . To that end they flew in Marcus and his cars for the launch of the dealership. It was a good night and he really is a down to earth guy when " the cameras arent rolling"

We stood talking for about 20 minutes and he seemed generally interested in my targa and was asking the same questions any average Porsche guy would at a get together, About Wind noise , do i have any tricks to keep water out, if i had the bar repainted ... just general stuff..

I think we should all just wind it down a notch ..

I can see however Dougs point if the guy was racing through his streets . I do think that we are all painted with the same brush very easily by the general public and have to understand that, when we are out in our cars ..
I dont want to get keyed because some other ***** in a classic Porsche was an a-hole on the road and cut off a bunch of people.

We like to think those types of generalizations don't happen but they do .
Old 05-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
post #95 "quailty sometimes lacks"
Not meant to be a tone. More of an observation through experience.

Not to say it is a general rule of thumb but sometimes quailty does lack in a DIY simply based on tools, resources and experience levels. Does not apply to everybody and not pointed towards you or anybody else that have put in quality work into a build but there are some cars out there as i am sure you can agree.

Nothing wrong with DIY build. It is what the hobby is all about. But sometimes I have home builds come through the shop that are either being offered way over priced or require a lot correction work dispite what the owner/builder thinks...

If anything, it was an antagonistic tone for some here to think that a Magnus car is a slap together item that can be easily done at home for cheap by any backyard mechanic.

Again, my comments were not geared towards any specific person and I also never said "all" either. I merely stated "sometimes" in regards to DIY builds.

Not sure why that would get some builders panties in a knot as i was not singling out every DIY builder on Rennlist...
You just nailed it. It is clear you look down your nose at us DIY guys. You don't even try to hide it.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
You just nailed it. It is clear you look down your nose at us DIY guys. You don't even try to hide it.
you have 100% missed the point.....

Quick Reply: Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs