Old 04-19-2014, 10:39 AM
proporsche
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Old 04-19-2014, 10:47 AM
proporsche
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Amber lamps:i totally agree with you about that guy Magnus W....I am all about the wrenching on your own(911`s) cars .I have been doing that over 28 years...

Rusnak: right ,who has the time and mood, driving in LA at 3.a.m and making urban videos?Well, when i was 20 maybe;-)...i did...

Last edited by proporsche; 04-19-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Doug hea actually openly admited to me he doesn't wrench cars at all when i asked him that .. that is not his thing , he says he has a a really good engine guy who does most of the work . I think he is an eye for a certain flare.

I have never heard of the guy, and so if the photo of his latest POS is indicative......well yeah , that "certain flair" would be the same visual you get while looking up from the toilet bowl when Oprah is on the seat. Of course , that's just my opinion.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Some of ya'all need to speak a little clearer.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with the 'Artist' analogy as it relates to Magnus. I personally like his vision alot and would like to own one of his creations, but not at prices they command. Its interesting how legends evolve.....early in his Porsche make-over days I'm sure everyone called them frankenporsches, but at some point in time the cars became iconic and the legend was born.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ker-rules.html
Old 05-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry, but then again, congrats ice!

As to Magnus, nothing against the guy, he's doing what he likes, and I'm sure his cars are great. But, it really is just marketing-he's not really doing anything that a lot of other people can't, when it comes to building the performance aspect of his cars. And, we could do it a whole lot cheaper, and have the fun doing it.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,038 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Sorry, but then again, congrats ice!

As to Magnus, nothing against the guy, he's doing what he likes, and I'm sure his cars are great. But, it really is just marketing-he's not really doing anything that a lot of other people can't, when it comes to building the performance aspect of his cars. And, we could do it a whole lot cheaper, and have the fun doing it.
Tanks man !!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:44 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

The weight reduction explains a lot about your presence and grumpiness over the past few months

My parents split when I was young. I went with my dad and it was the best decision I've ever made..... He was tough, fair and fun. Wouldn't change it for the world.

Hope to see you around more and good luck with the new direction. It only gets better.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

The market for original 1969-1973 Long hoods is getting strong enough to command 6 figures.
Even the hot rodded examples can fetch decent money. (RS clones, color changes, non number matching etc).
This car being offered is in Europe and has a decent chance of selling due to the demand in Europe and price difference. (a lot more of U.S and CDN cars are heading overseas nowadays)

The car was modified by Magnus, but once in Holland another shop got their hands on it and did some bodywork and an engine so it is modified by them too. (somebody must have ditched the oil filler when they did the larger rear fenders which is a shame)

Magnus is a Porsche Fanatic. Omittedly has modest skills and many miles of PCA events under his belt. He dreams it up and has shops perform the paint and engine rebuilds to what he desires. No different then anybody else who has a day job in another field beside automotive repair...

His videos can be considered propaganda or simply relaying his passion for the cars. Depends on the viewer... Not like he is selling parts or restoration services...
He customizes his 911 the same way a motorcycle builder customizes a bike. Subtle changes with personal flare. Take it or leave it approach.

Im not in love with his cars, but i like what i see. He is doing what has been over time while adding a little of his own touches and posting video of it to share with others.

I was never really into older 911s until I watched some of his videos. it got me really interested in them. Not so much his exact cars, but the idea of what one can do to a 911 in their own vision of a classic 911.

So I say Kudos to Magnus to inspiring a new generation of air cooled fans.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

Magnus is a Porsche Fanatic. Omittedly has modest skills and many miles of PCA events under his belt. He dreams it up and has shops perform the paint and engine rebuilds to what he desires. No different then anybody else who has a day job in another field beside automotive repair...
Excuse me? One needs to be employed in the automotive field to build a fun 911? Shoot, I wish I would've known 12 years ago, coulda saved a ton of money.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Apparently half this board is unqualified to work on their own cars.

Someone is unaware of threads like the one pictured below.

....and tcs, he is selling T-shirts.... and if you were not paying attention to the actual OP, he is selling restoration services. That is why we have this thread, is it not?
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2014, 04:08 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Doug, I remember that!

Ice, sorry to hear about the big D. But 170# is a lot of weight savings.

As for my negative comments, they are what they are. I'm just saying what I think and I won't apologize for that. If you don't like my comments, then don't read them. I didn't even get started on all the ridiculous stickers, non-functional louvers, and sensless bling that makes his cars look like the hippie kid's bike that was never locked up back in elementary school.

Porsche did a lot of experimenting and testing to come up with the vent size and location on the rear decklid. If the car needed silly little louvers, they'd have put them in.
I firmly agree with your assessment Rus, but cannot word it as tactfully so I just don't word it out of flame-fear. My one exception is 'hippie'. I don't see it beyond the knappy image. I know a bunch of hippies and he would never get in on any of their drum-circles.
To me his cars are weak executions of disjointed artistic concepts with rattle-can wheel paint and should be (de)valued accordingly.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:14 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Question...is Jay Leno a car guy or just another poser?
Old 05-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure why everybody is hating on the guy. I would not have purchased my Porsche's if hadn't stubbled upon his enthusiastic blog. All the complaining about his designs, customizations etc. and 99% percent of you guys have gone out and purchased after market intakes, suspensions, exhaust, wings, bumpers, rims, aero kits etc. and that is OK, right. You can disagree about the price and that is fine but knocking his customizations is throwing stones at glass houses. I have never heard him say he is a wrencher or claimed to be anything other than a collector and enthusiast. Here is a photo of some of his disjointed Porsches for 'ya.....
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs