Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:28 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug, I'm not sure I follow your rationale. I didn't know a pre-requisite to owning a Porsche is doing you're own work. What's the difference with going to CPR and ordering a ground up restoration? Is the value of the car now not worthy because someone else did the job? So he has his own guys to execute his vision.

I think what ICE is saying is that it was Magnum's car...he sold it to someone and that person now is trying to capitalize on Magnum's aura. The dude has some serious cars...you can't deny that.

And his cars are not made to look something that they're not, they are by definition a hot rod...no rules...and btw, they perform.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:34 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm going to paint my wheels black, put a mismatch color on the front and rear bumpers. Instantly my $25k race car becomes a $75k Magnus tribute.

Kaching!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by salukijac
Doug, I'm not sure I follow your rationale. I didn't know a pre-requisite to owning a Porsche is doing you're own work. What's the difference with going to CPR and ordering a ground up restoration? Is the value of the car now not worthy because someone else did the job? So he has his own guys to execute his vision.

I think what ICE is saying is that it was Magnum's car...he sold it to someone and that person now is trying to capitalize on Magnum's aura. The dude has some serious cars...you can't deny that.

And his cars are not made to look something that they're not, they are by definition a hot rod...no rules...and btw, they perform.
Read the first paragraph of the ad.

This car was acquired by Magnus Walker in February 2012, on the outskirts of Los Angeles in the city of Sherman Oaks, after I found it on the Pelican Porsche forum. Two weeks after Magnus picked it up I flew to Los Angeles and drove this car around Southern California for 15 days. After that Magnus and his team started work on the car.
Regarding CPR. They have been in business for decades and have restored hundreds of concourse worthy cars. They have a warehouse full of cars awaiting restoration (one old German there told me enough cars to last them ten years). They are for real. I've taken the tour and spent hours drooling on the cars in all stages of the process.

Mangus??? Well.... we get videos of him breaking laws on public roads.

Saluki, 90% of the joy I derive from the car is the pride of doing my own work. The vast majority of the guys that hang out here are their own wrench. I thought the whole point of customizing a hot rod was putting your own signature on it. Making it your own. Paying someone else to do the work is just foreign to me.

I suspect the path this car took is very close to the business model Mangus has been pursuing all along. Much like Singer, or Ruf, or Shelby, or Rouch, or many others, the idea is to take someone else' product, polish it up a bit with your own "touch", create a buzz around it, and sell it at high retail. It's fine to do, just be honest about it.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 04-10-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spilling
Old 04-10-2014, 07:58 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about it? '...his team started work on the car...' Just like anyone buying a car and send it to FHernadez for a backdate...which by the way are gorgeous cars.

My point to you about CPR is that they do the work for customers. In this case Magnum is the customer, he has his own team doing the work, it doesn't devalue the fact that he didn't get his hands dirty in the process. They are his vision like anyone else's that commisions a shop to execute theirs.

I think you came a little strong because you worked on your car and you said he didn't...all of the sudden his cars are not valuable?? Apparently they are, people like them and are willing to pay the dough for them.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
So this car just took an even bigger step away from actually being one of Mangus' cars. It was never actually owned by him and now you are saying it was never even wrenched on by him. The European purchased it, contracted with Mangus to be built to Mangus' specs, and ......and .....and .....and the engine in the car has 87,000 miles on it.

...and Reiver, I didn't claim to have a '72, I claimed to have a better hot rod. No? Even if we did the math at $100/hour, that leaves over $100,000 in time and effort that I didn't have to spend to achieve similar results. Imagine what I could do with that tub that kind of coin!!!!
I know you have a nice car...my only point is a full resto with mechanical upgrades on a '72 is going to cost you close to what that guy is asking if you include the purchase price.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Reiver
I know you have a nice car...my only point is a full resto with mechanical upgrades on a '72 is going to cost you close to what that guy is asking if you include the purchase price.
Read the ad. The guy bought it, had Mangus do his thing, shipped it to the Netherlands, where he swapped out the motor, crashed it, changed the paint color, changed out the bumpers, put different stickers on it, and generally moved it away from what Mangus had done. Really my beef isn't with Mangus, it's with the owner that paid Mangus a premium to do something that he then changed in short order and still wants to claim it was one of Mangus' cars when it wasn't.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Sorry, I'll go huff some paint or something.

My Bilstein struts are ready for tape removal.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Sorry, I'll go huff some paint or something.

My Bilstein struts are ready for tape removal.
My bad, didn't read the whole deal and you have a point.
My argument would only stand if, it was in fact, a properly restored '72.
You can still huff some tho if you are of a mind to.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 AM
porsche2fst4u
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnus Walker's cars are works of art. Like most art, they can seem overpriced. Like expensive pieces of art, the average person can't afford it. Magnus is just living the dream and sharing his passion for Porsche with others.

Last edited by porsche2fst4u; 08-01-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:09 PM
rfloz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we get videos of him breaking laws on public roads.
Yeah, he should be busted. For, oh, I don't know, maybe "exhibition of speed".

Question - how much work do I have to do myself to hang on to my P-card? Oil changes and brakes enough? Does stripping 350 ugly pounds off the car do it? Prolly not. Excuse me while I go forge a crank or something.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:02 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Hmmm, that's about $122K.

I've been thinking about an F-car so I'll sell my even nicer car for $100K cash. It's a bargain, jump on it before I change my mind.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:12 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With all the marketing and boasting and videos and magazine articles and websites that have lapped up his PR I have not seen a single photo of him turning a wrench.

In one video he torques lug nuts that have already been torqued, and in another he balances one tire on top of another while walking. I could train rusnak's fluffy dog to do that.

Show me he can turn a wrench and I will show him some respect. This hobby isn't about throwing money around, it's about wrenching on the cars.

EDIT: According to Reiver's math.... I'm in at 1/6th the price.
Doug...exactly. He likes to pose with dirty rags and shows himself moving tires like at a race track. But the guy is a checkbook mechanic. To me, that makes him just this side of a rich hobbyist. I relate more to guys who get dirty for their car, not for their image.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:17 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rfloz
Yeah, he should be busted. For, oh, I don't know, maybe "exhibition of speed".

Question - how much work do I have to do myself to hang on to my P-card? Oil changes and brakes enough? Does stripping 350 ugly pounds off the car do it? Prolly not. Excuse me while I go forge a crank or something.
In his Outlaw whatever B.S. video, he shoots himself speeding through the streets of downtown L.A. while openly talking about how the same neighborhood has become a residential area with small children and families living there.

How do you feel about that? In my book, that sort of "outlaw" thing makes us ALL LOOK BAD. I don't need to associate with such needless egomaniacal, attention *****, irresponsible, self-righteous and self-gratifying behavior.

It grates me even more when he says "Get out and drive". What an *******. I put more miles on my Porsches than he does. I have at least a half million miles total in the past 20 years. Yes, they are daily drivers for me.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:12 PM
rfloz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
In his Outlaw whatever B.S. video, he shoots himself speeding through the streets of downtown L.A. while openly talking about how the same neighborhood has become a residential area with small children and families living there.

How do you feel about that? In my book, that sort of "outlaw" thing makes us ALL LOOK BAD. I don't need to associate with such needless egomaniacal, attention *****, irresponsible, self-righteous and self-gratifying behavior.

It grates me even more when he says "Get out and drive". What an *******. I put more miles on my Porsches than he does. I have at least a half million miles total in the past 20 years. Yes, they are daily drivers for me.

Well, the "exhibition of speed" remark was a tongue in check reference to another Rennlister who apparently forgot his own transgressions in that regard.

Personally, I drive no faster than conditions permit. Conditions include road, traffic, car and self. My last speeding ticket was circa 1980.

As to Magnus, I was behind him on one of the canyon runs that seem to occur from time to time and he drove quickly, but competently, and left a good margin of error in case the unexpected arose. I suspect his filmic antics are part of his P.T. Barnum shtick and don't recommend such.

Quick Reply: Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs