Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Center Console Delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Console Delete

I'm thinking seriously of not reinstalling the center console in my SC when I put the interior back together again. It's obviously a cheap add-on for the times, and it's only real function (at least these days when cassettes, et al are passe') is to hold the A/C controls. Plus looking at photographs of earlier interiors I like the "open" look and feel without it. And then plus plus it won't have to be dealt with in any future under dash maintenance/repairs.

This leaves the issue of the A/C controls. I sure fabricating a small bracket to hold them would be easily done, but I'd like to see some images of some that have been designed. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have done this. Yeah, it'll look aftermarket hot-roddish, but probably no worse than that cheap plastic console itself.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 AM
pcarhiway
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Right behind the ash tray

Here is where I re-located mine. And another picture showing the interior and how clean it looks with console removed.
Attached Images   
Old 09-30-2013, 04:00 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Paul, you could get pretty creative here and fab a tasteful piece. I'll look for some shots over at Pelican and post here if I can find them.
Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-30-2013, 04:05 PM
CVDH
Racer

I do love my cassettes, but I no longer have A/C in mine and so I removed my center console as well. It does look a lot cleaner in there without it.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Ds1
Instructor

Funny, I was just thinking about doing this the other day too. Subscribed.

My A/C isn't hooked up so I don't need the controls, but it would be nice it they were still there for future owners.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

I think this project is going to be a go for me. I'll keep everyone posted on it when I get something designed and fabbed up.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:02 PM
CVDH
Racer

Oh, FYI, you can usually get about $100 out of your console at a swap meet if it's in good shape.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

i noticed a whole centre console delete thread the other day on pelican with pics.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

re: the "Console Delete" thread. That's odd, I searched "Center Console Delete" and all I came up with was a thread on the later models. On the other hand that may have just been here and not on Pelican. I'll go check that.

My console is in excellent condition, but I wasn't aware there would be resale market for it. I guess there's a resale market for about everything.

So far the only downside I see is that there are a couple of obvious holes left in the center carpet, but I suspect that's easily and fairly cheaply remedied.

Whatever I do for the A/C switches will also involve the niche where the ashtray currently lives since I'm not a smoker. (Some P/O's (at least two) were though - the ashtray shows heavy usage!) And it will be easily reversible in case someone down the line wants to go back stock.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Steam Driver
re: the "Console Delete" thread. That's odd, I searched "Center Console Delete" and all I came up with was a thread on the later models. On the other hand that may have just been here and not on Pelican. I'll go check that.

My console is in excellent condition, but I wasn't aware there would be resale market for it. I guess there's a resale market for about everything.

So far the only downside I see is that there are a couple of obvious holes left in the center carpet, but I suspect that's easily and fairly cheaply remedied.

Whatever I do for the A/C switches will also involve the niche where the ashtray currently lives since I'm not a smoker. (Some P/O's (at least two) were though - the ashtray shows heavy usage!) And it will be easily reversible in case someone down the line wants to go back stock.
really

took me a whole 5 seconds ..

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...r-console.html
Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Ds1
Instructor

Yeah, such a great look and universally acceptable by the purists

I'm definitely doing this when I do my carpet set this winter. I'll probably just end up hiding the A/C controls and keeping the center console around in case anyone wants it later.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:02 PM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I am gonna join the console delete club. But I will make it also a carpet delete. That most likely means it will have to wait until it will warm up again as I will need to paint the floor instead.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Ds1
Instructor

^ You could do Rennspeed's trackmats over the middle section of the floor, they look fantastic and have a nice finish to them.

But, I do love a simple painted floor, thats how I did both my 944's and it looked great.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:45 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I deleted my console when i installed a Hargett shifter and removed all the interior and back seat insulation.I was lucky enough to pick up a brand new never installed complete RS carpet kit on Pelican for $300.00 which i will be installing over the Winter.I'm going to glue it in place directly on the metal just to give the car a somewhat stockish interior look.I used the tunnel section for now to cover where the stock shifter used to be...
By the way,the Rennline floor mats are really nice and fit well !

Cheers
Phil
Attached Images   
Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 PM
CVDH
Racer

Originally Posted by HorstP
I am gonna join the console delete club. But I will make it also a carpet delete. That most likely means it will have to wait until it will warm up again as I will need to paint the floor instead.
What are you going to use for paint? I may go this route as well, at least until I can afford a nice, proper Sliverknit carpet set.

Quick Reply: Center Console Delete