Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa project.... WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:19 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't want to say it, but you can't just hammer/dolley a set of heads.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You're going to be ready for the "parts" soon. That will be perfect timing. Keep it up.
Stop it.....even though I keep thinking about that motor....

Originally Posted by whalebird
I didn't want to say it, but you can't just hammer/dolley a set of heads.
I know outside Ed's motor, I'm seriously thinking 993 "moteur". Apparently it's feasible with what I have now (with SOME mods).

Maybe Ed will sell his 993 motor......
Old 04-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Eharrison
Stop it.....even though I keep thinking about that motor....

The motor is only part of it. There are a ton of suspension, brake, trim, wheels, electric, or whatever, goodies in the mix.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

The motor is only part of it. There are a ton of suspension, brake, trim, wheels, electric, or whatever, goodies in the mix.
Honestly I can't pick a part a car that gave me the inspiration to go "full targa". And it's the motor that make the car go "schwing". I miss the fun runs we all did too, maybe we should do them in our daily drivers? I'm sure my Quattro can keep the heat with that 993......
Old 04-18-2011, 12:55 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ed, I picked up a little Lincoln Mig welder, and played around with it, making some new ramp hold downs for the auto trailer. It came with teeny tiny .035 wire, which I normally dont use with my 1/4" steel. I *think* .035 wire is what you need.

From the looks of those welds, your wire speed (might) be a bit on the high side. Thinner wire will let you keep up the heat penetration, with the same wire speed. The welds should be flat, with the puddle oozing nicely as an even mixture of old and new metal. You will be getting the classic "stack of dimes" welds in no time flat!!! You get that by weaving back and forth while dragging the tip to connect the spot tacks, but be very careful not to warp the metal with that thin stuff.

Very very very nice metal shaping by the way!!!!

Now...will someone slap some sense into Mr. Hughes? I can donate a 2.0 mag shortblock if you want to go that route, and if it will let sanity rule the day regarding our friend and esteemed compatriot.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:34 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rusnak
Ed, I picked up a little Lincoln Mig welder, and played around with it, making some new ramp hold downs for the auto trailer. It came with teeny tiny .035 wire, which I normally dont use with my 1/4" steel. I *think* .035 wire is what you nee.
I'm running 030 right now. The issue I'm having is that the front may look good but the underside gets thin from corrosion removal. So either I'm laying weld on top with a low voltage, or burning thorugh. The Hobart has 4 stages of voltage so.... I think using stage 2 and a 25/30 feed gives good results. The photo (fourth from last) the right side was the good welding. The puddle and lack of burn through was sweet. What happens is I'm running along happy as a clam then it blows through. It's got to do with the irregularity of the metal thickness.... I'm getting there. Soon I'll be onto the door frames and suspension pan..... I've got a spot weld remover looking for some trouble....
From the looks of those welds, your wire speed (might) be a bit on the high side. Thinner wire will let you keep up the heat penetration, with the same wire speed. The welds should be flat, with the puddle oozing nicely as an even mixture of old and new metal. You will be getting the classic "stack of dimes" welds in no time flat!!! You get that by weaving back and forth while dragging the tip to connect the spot tacks, but be very careful not to warp the metal with that thin stuff.

Very very very nice metal shaping by the way!!!!
Thanks! Honestly, I really enjoy the fact that I can hammer away at metal and produce something useable. Back to basics right?? I do have to say the new piece fit like a charm with no hammering but the horizontal weld pulled the top off and it requierd a lot of hammering. I know I'm going to need some body filler but in all honesty I really see no way for me to hammer it into perfect form...

Now...will someone slap some sense into Mr. Hughes? I can donate a 2.0 mag shortblock if you want to go that route, and if it will let sanity rule the day regarding our friend and esteemed compatriot.

He'll stick around. The problem with Ruby is the same problem I had with my 996..... There wasn't much left to do to the car expect look at it. But then again I cannot see that a Targa is not worth it's weight in gold in So Cal.

When's the next Rancho Santa Fe meet Ed?
Old 04-18-2011, 02:16 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Oh man, what a nightmare. Maybe gas weld the thin stuff?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eharrison

But then again I cannot see that a Targa is not worth it's weight in gold in So Cal.

When's the next Rancho Santa Fe meet Ed?
Except when smog is an issue....

I've been checking out some of the local 993's of late. I've got a lot of ideas.

The RSF deal is every Saturday at 9am. The Carlsbad meet is every Sat now too. I'm probably going to hit both this weekend, and go down to Qualcomm to watch the PCA autocross for a bit.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Well all the metal work is done on the bumper! I need to brush on the rust converter and remove the final bits of paint then it's primer time!
Attached Images            
Old 04-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

And the final rust. This one needed a little hammer love after I welded it in. Not a perfectr fit.
Attached Images          
Old 04-24-2011, 01:02 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

That looks like fun! Satisfying too.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

That looks like fun! Satisfying too.
It really is. Metal work is a great way to forget everything else and just concentrate on shaping, fitting, welding, and grinding.

I also worked the dents and other issues out so I'm pretty happy with that bumper! $60 for the bumper, $10 for the sheet metal.... pretty good deal I think.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:09 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Ed,
Wonderful work. I only wish I had the skills you have. Where did you learned all this?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by francars
Ed,
Wonderful work. I only wish I had the skills you have. Where did you learned all this?
Learning it as I go. I've always liked to make things from scuptures to landscaping. It's interesting how you can hammer the metal and see the shapes forming. You just start seeing that hitting it in certain ways changes the shape. I think that's what makes this fun, learing something new.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I was hot on hand-built bodies a few years ago. I played around with some aluminum and a shot bag I bought. I made some "speed blisters" that were oval in shape, such as what you may see on a hot rod's hood to either accent or provide clearance for motor parts. It was pretty neat seeing them take shape. One ended up as a cigar ashtray, but I don't think it made the move back to Calif.

It would be fun to have an English wheel and a power hammer laying around the garage!

Quick Reply: Targa project.... WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.