Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hi / Lo headlight Switch repair thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 03:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
The key to the whole thing is the actuator.
Picture one: The plunger after it has been removed. You may need a magnifying lighted ring if you er , are of advancing years ..over 40 .. and looking at such small things becomes difficult.

As you can see it is comppletely melted. What we are trying to accomplish is to build the plunger back up to original specs. so it can again mbe functional. rememberwe have to fit inside our original specs of 2.5mm by 2.5mm by 6mm so a vernier guage would be very helpful. After you get the actuator out make sure to clean all the old melted actuator out of the switch. if you don't the repaired switch may bind. I used a dental pic and i worked great for this.

The first step for me was to grind it completely flat ( or sand it ) . to give us a base to work on.

Then i drilled a very small hole in the flatened area and also into my piece of donor plastic that happened to be 2.5mm by 2.5mm.... bonus.

Then i used a couple of pieces of LED lead to act as a pin to put the 2 pieces together.

Picture 2

actuator base ground flat with hole drilled in. small drill used in my dremel , steady hand needed for sure. Plastic donor piece from a plastic window clip. LED used as donor clip . I ened up using a small staple folder over but it all depends on the hole size.

Picture 3. Assembled piece all ready for test fitting.

Picture 4.. and I think this is the most imprtant. After assembly i took it apart and mixed up some JB weld. put a small amount in between the sections and glued them together. Then I coated the whole think in JB weld filling the cracks and gaps.

After 24 hours of drying time I grinded it back down and trimmed it to original dimensions. Fine sand paper or any fine sander will do but it is important to keep it square and to original dimensions.

After the final trimming and testing you carfully put back the plunger and arm assembly .Pull up the contacts slide in the plunger and carefully maneuver all back into position. make sure it does not bind, even when you pull the lever to activate the secondary set of high beam flasher contacts.

add a drop of dielectric grease to prevent arcing and smooth operation and you should be set to go ..... allmost...

check with a meter before assembling.
put pictures back

Last edited by theiceman; 02-05-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:40 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is this thread by our Pals at Pelican as well.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-pictures.html

More pictures an discussion.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah someone was reading that and Pmed me because the pics were gone ( there is a link to this thread ) .. when they booted me out of the club earlier this year they reduced my pic ability .. so ultimately hurt other users I guess as the pics were deleted

oh well ...
Old 11-11-2013, 05:10 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

oh ,,, and the switch is still trukin along ... after i melted it twice ..
Old 10-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

I finally got around to replacing my slightly malfunctioning switch last weekend, very straightforward with this thread. Many thanks!

Mine didn't operate on 'brights'. Sometimes the brights would come on, but the high beam indicator didn't light. Then the brights just quit coming on.

Anyway, I put it up for sale here on ebay. If a Rennlister wants it, when you make an offer, let me know you're a member and I promise to make special appropriate concessions. Thanks,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-.../291583821858?
Old 10-07-2015, 06:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yah sounds repairable for someone for sure .. just means someone is going to PM me for pics again
Old 10-08-2015, 12:25 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
yah sounds repairable for someone for sure .. just means someone is going to PM me for pics again
Ha! Well, maybe you get it and refurb to send 'em that instead. I'm in garage cleaning mode, so make an offer.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:38 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I have my engine in about a thousand pieces .. so I think ill be busy for a while ..
Old 10-25-2015, 03:33 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

In case someone wants to repair one, here you go...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291595193846...84.m1555.l2649

Ends tonight
Old 04-29-2021, 04:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

added to pictures back in to original DIY
Old 03-28-2024, 06:31 PM
Martin Nedom
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I correct in thinking that the current to the high beams on a 1969 911 Porsche does not go through a relay?
Old 03-28-2024, 08:12 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin Nedom
Am I correct in thinking that the current to the high beams on a 1969 911 Porsche does not go through a relay?
The current for both the high and low beams do NOT go through an isolating relay.

If you are electrically handy, you can install the relays yourself. Below is the circuits I installed.

If not, you will need to get a kit but be sure it is for 911's built before 1974 as our fuse panels are a bit different than the later ones.

Old 03-29-2024, 02:04 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

Harry, I'm certainly no expert on the early cars, but in doing some digging for Martin, it looks like there was a high beam relay for the headlight flashers through 1968? But it looks like that changed for 1969? I sent Martin a link to this thread: https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...elays-Analyzed

I just wasn't sure whether it might also apply to a 1969.

Mark
Old 03-29-2024, 02:30 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
Harry, I'm certainly no expert on the early cars, but in doing some digging for Martin, it looks like there was a high beam relay for the headlight flashers through 1968? But it looks like that changed for 1969? I sent Martin a link to this thread: https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...elays-Analyzed

I just wasn't sure whether it might also apply to a 1969.

Mark
Mark, I am not either but looking at my copy of the 1969 wiring diagram, it appears that the headlight power goes through the hi/lo beam selector switch on the column. The relays I show above, remove the actual headlights current from this circuit which in turn reduces the risk of the high current burning out the hi-lo switch.
Old 03-31-2024, 10:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HarryD
Mark, I am not either but looking at my copy of the 1969 wiring diagram, it appears that the headlight power goes through the hi/lo beam selector switch on the column. The relays I show above, remove the actual headlights current from this circuit which in turn reduces the risk of the high current burning out the hi-lo switch.
correct.. lots of great schematics in this thread..

when you say Hi Beam Flasher.. are you talking about the " flash to pass feature " ? that is a different set of contacts in the hi/low beam switch so i can see that being on a relay.

Quick Reply: Hi / Lo headlight Switch repair thread