Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Think I found my Porsche...need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:58 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMWdavid, the up/down arrows on my 88 Carrera don't light upas i remember, but I never really noticed. You have to have the headlights on to activate the squirters. The switch is on the dash under the instruments. Make sure the reservoir next to the power brake is full so you don't damage the motor. In the manual it says to use a special fluid, but I've never found any. I use regular windshield fluid and change it out regularly to prevent it from "chalking up" and clogging the orifices, and ocassionally run clear water to clean out any junk in there. In fact, I seldom drive mine in the rain, so to be honest I've never used them except to check out the system. If you don't expect to drive in the rain, checking the system may be your only use of it, also.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:24 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great...thanks!

David
Old 01-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget to warm that baby up before you hammer it.

Also tickets on the first day of ownership are strictly forbidden. ''Just checking out the systems officer.''

Seriously, congratulations. I believe that time will show that you made a very wise choice.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:44 AM
Stevelovescars
Track Day

Default Congrats

Wow, that sounds like a great find. My favorite advice about classic cars is that you'll never regret paying more for a good car but you'll certainly regret buying a bad car regardless of the price. And remember, a new 911 will depreciate more than you paid for this one the moment it's driven off the lot!

I bought a low mileage '84 Carrera Cab a few months ago (it had 50k miles on it) and really love it. I had a PPI and put about $800 into some taking care of a list of minor items and flushing and replacing all of the fluids before I drove it (I'm a big fan of fresh brake fluid as it's very likely to never have been changed on a car with such low miles). My car also had very low miles on 2 year old tires and I found that they were just too flat spotted to recover. I ended up replacing those as well to good effect.

Enjoy!
Old 01-25-2007, 07:20 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Dan-I'm a big fan also of properly warming up any engine before letting it rip. This is very true for air cooled engines like our 911's with the seperate crankcase/cylinder/head's.

I do plan on having all the fluids (brake,trans,engine) changed shortly after I get the car.

I might try to pick up car on Friday. We'll see.

David
Old 01-25-2007, 03:39 PM
RAJU
Advanced

My `69 912 had the same type of clock that my now ride has , " `83 911 SC " . No second hand , but an ajustable white hand for trip start time .

<`)))><
Old 01-27-2007, 12:11 AM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile OK RAJU, you piqued my curiosity. What is the story behind your avatar?

What a great photo. Is he from a 3rd world country?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

So, is there a different thread with the photos??
Old 01-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations David! Great decision! Post some pics, dammit!
Old 01-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

I think he's probably standing in the garage, staring at his new car with that dumb grin on his face...

Snap out of it man!

Post some pictures already!
Old 01-27-2007, 03:59 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

OK guys I got her home (1989 Carrera Silver Anniversary). Wow...what a fun drive that was. Drove her home during the dark and was amused at the white lighting from the gauges. What a time machine. Felt like I was driving something from the late 60's. This car has such a raw visceral presence and feel. Its so freaking cool! I mistated the miles a bit, it had 13,313 miles on it at delivery, even less than I first mentioned. I've put almost 150 miles on the car so far. As I mentioned in my first post (beginning of this thread) it needed a few things. The upper right HVAC **** was replaced as was the warning lamp cluster lens. However when the lens was installed somehow the bulbs got disabled and they don't iluminate now. (seatbelt/brake/parking brake). The battery was the correct size, it just needed reset in its space and the hold down clamp now fits fine. Question (I asked before, sorry) I don't see any vent tube. Is this correct? I assume the gases just vent into the trunk and dissapate.

The windshield washers as well as headlight washers where looked at but could not be fixed before I was due to pick up car. The tech is headed for Porsche school Monday and will be out for over a week. So I elected to take car home and return later for the dealer to fix washers as well as look at warning lamp cluster issue. These items won't keep me from enjoying the car for now.

Another question, were is the spare tire compressor supposed to be stored? It was laying in the trunk but its going to slide all over during driving.

The small seepage from the oil line/fitting at the left side cam cover (behind the distributer) will also need attending. For now I can just wipe it down after every few drives.

I'm going to do a major detailing in the next few weeks. Car really does not need it but I want to clean up the paint and detail the dusty engine compartment. Also need to remove some white staining (wax) on the whale tail molding. Its a little tired/dull when you are close up but at 5 feet you would never know. Let me clarify...the paint is just fine and looks great its just that the car was not waxed at regular intervals so the paint is a bit dull.

All the books are present with services stamped in the Porsche book from dealer as well as independent shop service reciepts. Mainly just oil/lube changes as well as the first couple of required dealer services. I do not have window sticker. Probably get a Cetificate of Authenticity from Porsche later on. It will need the 15K service (valves, plugs, etc) early this spring. I'm going to do the things I can (plugs, filters...) and have the shop do the valve inspection and brake fluid change.

The wheels are like new but for a very small blemish (3/8") on the lip of the left rear wheel. The interior is amazing. Just like a new car that would have 13K miles. The 25th Anniversary emblem that is usually affixed to the glovebox door is still unmounted with the peel off adhesive tag still on it. I like that as I think the emblem is a bit "bling". All equipment/options function perfectly. Took a while to figure out the heater controls. I froze for a while then it was like an oven. I need to get a set of floor mats as car has only one on drivers side and it is not correct fit. I guess the Loyd's are the way to go. Got to decide on color, black with silk gray lettering or silk gray to match leather/carpet with black lettering? Also Porsche or Carrera wording? Decisions-decisions...

As for the actual driving, well car feels like new. Tight-rattle free. Clutch feels nice and smooth with a nice light shifter action. Steering is really neat feeling now that I aired the tires to 29F/36R. Is this still the excepted tire pressure settings? The brakes have a super firm pedal and lots of Whoa! power. Pull down smooth and straight.

I know I need to post pictures...but the camera I was hoping to use is acting up. So I will try to borrow a camera in the next day or so or better yet...go out and buy a new one. I know everyone wants to see pictures please be patient.

Well that's about it for now. I'm sure to have more questions about this car and I will be sure to ask you guys. If you have any please ask. It feels great to finally be a part of this after all these years. I know how extremely lucky I am to have the means as well as the fortune to have this car turn up at the time it did.

David
Old 01-27-2007, 04:23 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Outstanding David! Glad to hear you got her home alright and that shee appears to be well sorted out...Laughed over the heating learning curve....same thing for me on the way to Houston...sunroof open and many lever adjustments...Looking forward to the pics...
Frank
Old 01-27-2007, 04:39 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

David, you need to get a vent tube for the battery or you'll probably have acid in that front trunk area. I suggest you check the diameter of the small outlet tube on the battery and get some rubber vacuum hose and put on it (probably around 1/4" tubing). My old interstate battery came with a tube about two or so feet. I ran the tube out the closest small hole I could find in front of the battery and fed it under the car. I used some body dum-dum to fill in around and openings left in the hole. Dum-dum is pliable and like play dough. The rubber tubing is kinda like stringing spagetti, but you want it to vent under the car with hole pointing down. You may not need two feet, but I would consider that a length to start with. It's cheap so, if you have any excess, throw it away or use it for something else. The key to the tube is to get it through the body area and under the car. At several points under the car, I used small bundles ties to position the tube where I wanted it so the wind would not blow it around. If left untethered, it will flop all over the plllace and you'll have acid in places you don't want it. The tube on my battery came out the side and I had run it out and down to an existing hole in the front floor area. It actually came out next to the front A/C condenser and protective frame underneath the car. That way there won't be any gases and any overflow will not be in the trunk. I had an Interstate battery in my 88 Carrera when the alternator went and it boiled the battery. The venting worked so well, I didn't know the battery was empty and fried until I tried to start it one day and nothing happened. Alternator had boiled the battery dry. Susequently, I did the Alternator and having to have a new battery, went with an Optima. No acid or fumes to contend with now.

Good luck on where to put the compressor. I bought a bag from Sears many years ago and put the compressor and some tools in it. I wrapped a small towel around it to keep it from getting scarred. That was over 20 years. I just move the bag and compressor from car to car.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:20 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

With your air compressor, make sure you put it under the carpet or tie it down somewhere. The under hood area of 911s is especially fragile. beleive it or not, if that thing slides forward and into the hoot at the lower section, it will easily dent the metal from the inside out (reverse dings). This goes with anything you place in the front compartment...it should fit, be soft, and be tied down.

Sounds like a great car...enjoy it!
Old 01-27-2007, 07:28 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Spider911-

OK, so I get it that there is no vent on the battery as it is from Porsche? I do have as Interstate battery in my car, I will look for the vent outlet on that battery.

Seems like an oversight regarding the compressor storage. I will follow your lead and wrap it in a towel. You know, at first when I started to clean up the loose stuff left by PO in the trunk. I was wondering boy he sure has a lot of Porsche labeled bags and "napkins" and large paper mats. Then it occured to me I think those are supplied with new car in the advent of a flat tire. So I have all that stuff with the car also!

OK, I decided to look into the windshield washer issue myself. I poured in some washer solvent in the hole next to the gas cap. Well what do you know...it started to pour out from under the front of car on left side. Looks like it might have a split tank or dislodged hose? I've got an empty washer tank, thats why they don't work. Were is that tank anyhow? Is it hard to replace? In any case the dealer is going to be the one footing the bill.

I noticed that I have the intensive cleaning solution tank inside the trunk near the brake master cylinder. It is full...but were is the switch that activates this system? I checked the owners manual and it shows a picture of a rocker switch under the dash lip by the speedo and clock. I don't have a switch there. So were is it?

Thanks again for all the help. (no camera yet)

David

Quick Reply: Think I found my Porsche...need opinions