John
Old 01-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Low miles does not mean low problems. Things dry out and leak or brake because of lack of use. Things have a shelf life even if they are sitting around. These 911's are better when they have been driven and well maintained. Have the car fully inspected before writing a check.

It otherwise sounds like a sweet find. Budget at least 2k for fixes that come up in the next 12 months.

Post some pictures.
Totally agree with this... My brother-in-law has been changing out windshield seals, tires, bearings, hoses, seals and more seals, alternator, oil change, all filters, etc. in a car that was showroom condition. The car was new! 1987 with less than 15k miles. I think the bill is closer to 4K to bring everything back to spec.

Imagine the new owner driving the car for the first time from the PO house... starts to rain and water starts coming in from the windshield...

Anyway. Great find. Be sure to post photos for the folks here to see what the cars looked when new Enjoy it in good health and get the book 101 Projects for your Porsche 911 if you plan on tackling some of the common parts that will need to be replace along the way.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:39 AM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck and congats...you will love it.j
Old 01-23-2007, 10:09 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

I do have some concerns about the rubber parts. However upon close inspection at least...the gaskets around windows and door seals all appear pliable and soft. Heres hoping that they will be OK.

As for the engines seals well, the last owner did the most driving in that he put about 3,000 miles on the car in the past 10-11 months. So far other than the above mentioned "T" fitting seepage all is well.

Tires are recent SO-2's and have about 2/3rds tread left. Again, I do realize that there couldd be hidden issues that pop up but sure hope not! I think I have my eyes open and it is an 18 year old car so...

I want to do a quick oil/filter change soon after I get the car. It has had Kendal GT-1 20-50 its whole life. Stay with that or move on to a synthetic. Mobil 1 0W-40 or Mobil1 15W-50 or Castrol Syntec 5W-40?

Also for the trans I'm hearing that Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil is the way to go...correct?

David
Old 01-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

David,

Congrats on your purchase! I wouldn't worry too much on the rubber seals if the car has been kept out of UV rays most of it's life and the seals (such as the windshield and rear window) have been treated with some sort of vinyl protectant once in a while to keep them pliable.

You'll find a million recommendations for oil for your car. You can't go wrong with Mobile 1 or a high quality conventional 20W 50 oil such as Valvoline Racing. With the low miles you plan on driving it (and I assume just street driving) per year, the 20W 50 conventional might be just fine. Definitely do a search on oil use for these cars here on the 911 board. There is some excellent info to be read from experts that post regularily.

Mobil 1 75W 90 is fine for the G-50's trans.

Have fun with that new car!

Jay
Old 01-23-2007, 11:35 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David, I bet you've done just fine! If the nozzle-cleaning doesn't work, check out the washer motor - they are prone to packing it in, esp if unused (like elect motors in general) - it is also exposed to batt acid, since it sits so closely to it... I'd spray silicone on all the rubber susp/sway bar bushings that are exposed. Kendall is now a subsidiary of Conoco - their classic (& highly thought-of) formulation has been changed, for the worse - there are recent posts on the topic. I'd switch to Mobil1 (which I did on my '87 w/ 75K mi - 115K now & quite satisfied). You are going to have a blast w/ your "time-capsule" 911!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:16 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Imagine the new owner driving the car for the first time from the PO house... starts to rain and water starts coming in from the windshield...
This happened to me when I had a low mileage original 63 VW Notchback out in New Mexico. I was driving the car and I got caught in a rain storm (1st one after an 8 month dry spell) and I got drenched by a waterfall of water when I hit the brakes

The windshield gasket was so dry that I was able to move the glass about in inch in each direction. It worked just like a sponge.

John
Old 01-23-2007, 03:23 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Originally Posted by ked
David, I bet you've done just fine! If the nozzle-cleaning doesn't work, check out the washer motor - they are prone to packing it in, esp if unused (like elect motors in general) - it is also exposed to batt acid, since it sits so closely to it... I'd spray silicone on all the rubber susp/sway bar bushings that are exposed. Kendall is now a subsidiary of Conoco - their classic (& highly thought-of) formulation has been changed, for the worse - there are recent posts on the topic. I'd switch to Mobil1 (which I did on my '87 w/ 75K mi - 115K now & quite satisfied). You are going to have a blast w/ your "time-capsule" 911!
I can hear the washer pump (solvent tank is full) so I'm hoping it is clogged jets. I don't think I checked the headlight washers, need to call dealer to check that.
The battery area is pristine! No acid damage at all. By the way...are 911 batteries vented by a hose? Just wondering as my '95 M3 with the battery in the trunk is vented to the outside via a hose.

I was thinking of going to Mobil 1 15W-50. I know Porsche is recomending Mobil 1 0W-40 but might be a tad thin for an older air-cooled Porsche?

I'm sure I'm in for a lot of fun driving this car. Saturday can't get here soon enough.

David
Old 01-23-2007, 03:50 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

David, traditional lead-acid batts are vented. if they are overfilled and you pull high Gs, then they can spill. if they have a vent hose & it comes adrift, then you'll get batt acid in your trunk. mine had this syndrome - I cleaned it all up REAL good & installed an Optima. on oil (boy! oil & chips on the same day!), ther was a very good recent discussion here - search for it - Charles Navarro is The Man (imo) on oil in air-cooled Porsches. My own opinion is that in your case, the question of 10W-50 (or even 10W-40, there is no Mobil1 in 10W-50 or we'd use it, I'm sure) vs 15W-50 is relevant, since your engine is so young & tight (no comment - we're all jealous as it is). Your ambient temps upon starting may be a determining factor.

I am sure you will enjoy it, too. A friend of mine had one & I told him he was an idiot for selling it. He now has a '73 RS clone w/ 3.2 motor, so maybe he isn't.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:40 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can afford the car I think the '89 911 is the best weekend driver you could ask for. A real and true excellent specimen can command that high-end price. You are clearly in love and I doubted that there was much any of us could have added that would have swayed you. You sound like a somewhat persnickety guy so from here on out just be prepared to have the nickels and dimes add up and be prepared to bleed a little. Each time you take it to red line and hear Zeus from behind the back seat you will remember why.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!! The car sounds like a find
Old 01-23-2007, 08:36 PM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

David:

Congratulations on your purchase! I, for one, think you got a great deal on that car. Uber low milage always costs a premium and given your car's represented condition, I think you made out very well. Enjoy and welcome to the club.

Henry
Old 01-23-2007, 09:31 PM
JV911
Drifting

Congrats on the purchase!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:31 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats David
Hope she treats you well. Looking forward to the pics.
Frank
Old 01-24-2007, 07:22 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Hey guys...I have a couple of questions about the car I bought ('89 Carrera S.A.) First thing, when the headlights are turned on and the dash lights come on do the up/down arrow icons at the ends of the heater/air flow control panel illuminate? The fan icon and other icons light up but the up/down arrow-icons remain dark. Is this correct?

How do you activate the headlamp washer squirters?

Car is still at dealers and I just thought of these two things and want to be sure of these items before taking car.

Thanks,

David

Quick Reply: Think I found my Porsche...need opinions