Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Think I found my Porsche...need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:00 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Hey David, I came over here after reading your posts in the concours forum.

That is a beautiful Carrera! Congrats! And I think you got it for a steal to boot!
Old 02-09-2007, 03:50 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks! I listed the car in Excellence magazines buyers forum. Should be interesting to see what they feel the price range is.

Called my dealer to see if they can still get speakers...looks like they can. I need two new lower (5.25") door speakers. The original speakers have surrounds that are just about gone. So any way if Porsche still has stock I'll be getting that fixed soon.

As soon as it warms up around here I'm going to try and locate the leak in the washer solvent tank and if I'm lucky it will be something that can be patched with some silicone sealer or a dab of JB Weld. Otherwise I'll have a new tank put on.

Been studying the Bentley Service Manual and it looks like the warning light cluster for the seat belts and brakes is easily removed after pulling clock out. So I will order one of those as well.

Other than that car is fine, but will need a 15K service very soon along with brake fluid and trans oil. I'm going to drop the oil and put a new filter on myself.

I have not driven the car for over a week now due to road salt. We need some rain to clean it all off. That does not look like it will be anytime soon.

I can't even detail/wax car because my garage is to cold. So I just go out and stare at the beast.

David
Old 02-09-2007, 04:17 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David,

I own one of her sister's!!!! same car!! Run black Porsche mats and the steering wheel has been redone,..black!! Removed the rear wiper,..otherwise....she's the same!!!

Treat her well!!

Nice ride 4 sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best,

Doyle
Old 02-09-2007, 08:20 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Originally Posted by dshepp806
David,

I own one of her sister's!!!! same car!! Run black Porsche mats and the steering wheel has been redone,..black!! Removed the rear wiper,..otherwise....she's the same!!!

Treat her well!!

Nice ride 4 sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best,

Doyle
Why was rear wiper removed? Looks?

Question: since you have a sister to this car were is the Intensive or Heavy Duty windshield cleaning system switch? Can't locate my switch as it is not on the lower dash lip under the clock per the manual.

What steering wheel did you put on? You said a black wheel. was it a black standard Carrera wheel?

I agree-these cars are nice rides. This is my first P car.

Thanks,

David
Old 02-16-2007, 05:48 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the late response, David.

Rocker switch is right where the manual says it is.......I"m sure you've seen the pics, as well. Your siituation certainly is an interesting question for sure!!!

The PO sent the steering wheel off for repair prior a while back......yes,...it's the standard black....they did a great job with the threading detail..I'm guessing it was done a few years back.

I removed the R/wiper myself. It looks so much better to me and periodic Rain-X'g provides perfection down here in GA. Funny: I had ordered a part to fill the hole,..never opened the box until after I removed the R/Wiper ***'y...I discovered that it was a plug for the windshield- mounted wipers....knowing I couldn't leave it that way...I darted up to the local Ace hardware and successfully found a plastic plug that fit the top hole perfectly....(not to mention PERFECTLY matching the car's surrounding black....used a rubber plug on the bottom hole.......I couldn't believe it: a frikin' Porsche mounted part for 39 cents.......the other, a quarter.....

...that hasn't happened since...

I'll have to post you some pics...

Best,

Doyle
Old 02-16-2007, 07:50 PM
dmwallace
Rennlist Member

BMWDavid,

Congratulations - it is a very nice car! First time I have seen pictures of the silver anniversary model. I also have the silk grey interior on my '89 coupe with stone grey metallic exterior (not a silver anniversary model). Differences I noticed from the pictures - your anniversary model has a grey steering wheel (vs. std, black), contrasting piping on the seats, grey trunk carpet (vs. std. black) plus the grey Fuchs.

I noticed you asked about new carpets - Lloyd's does have silk grey mats but be prepared that they are not exactly the same shade as the factory carpet. It is close enough for my purposes (I have my mats on top of the carpet anyway).

regards,
David.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:15 PM
NOH20
Racer

Default Maybe another sister...

I'm looking at a '89 Anniversary Cabriolet. The car has 59,000 miles on it and is in excellent condition. The car is silver, one of only 160 silver anniversary cabs made. Here's the unique part....it's also a M491 car. There were only 43 M491's built in 1989. So here's the deal:

160 silver anniversary cabriolets built.

43 M491's built in 1989.

This car is a 1989 anniversary silver cab and a turbo look to boot. Not sure if there is another turbo look silver cabriolet - anniversary model out there! Any idea on what this P-car could be worth? The car isn't for sale to the public. The owner potentially selling it is a business associate of mine who is just considering selling the car.

Thanks,

Brad
Old 02-16-2007, 08:56 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

I've seen were the Turbo look cars are worth something like $5,000+ over a standard body. I think they were a $10K or more option at new. Thing is a Turbo Carrera is in the low to mid 30's. But of course it all depends on condition of car and the miles on it.

I've asked the PCA Tech dept about my missing switch. I have #286 and #288 options listed on label. No one can answer about the lack of a switch for the Intensive/HD windshield system. Really stange. Thinking of getting a hold of PCNA to see if they have an answer.

Found Silk Gray Lloyd Mats at HW accessories. They are on order. Got the "Carrera" script in black. Hope they are close enough shade wise for me as they are not returnable. I kept thinking of getting black mats but I like the lighter color effect in the cabin. That Stone Gray sounds like a nice color!

I was thinking of putting in a 930R steering wheel, but they are $$$. Maybe look at some MOMO's.

Regards,

David
Old 02-16-2007, 08:59 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad, neat car! indeed a one-of-a-kind. In such cases, when condition is near-pristine, w/ excellent, well-documented history, then the value goes a bit "non-linear". It is not easy to predict the value of an extreme single example. Richard Sloan specializes in them: http://www.sloancars.com/vs1/inventory.asp
To get the most for a car this this, you've got to access buyers willing to pay "whatever it takes" for that exact car. Marketing and patience pays (or costs or saves). Spread from private quick & clean sale to "retail" on the open market might be 10-25%... My guess is it might range from mid $30Ks to low-mid $40Ks (or more?). If I always wanted one of these & I could strike a reasonable deal (wouldn't fight a rich maniac over it), I'd know I'd be ok financially while enjoying the heck out of it... good luck!
Old 02-17-2007, 09:16 AM
NOH20
Racer

Ked,

I'll be examining the car inside and out in much more detail next week. I'll take some pictures and post them. I tried contacting PCNA to find out how many M491 anniversary models were made but I haven't received a call back.

I think this is a pretty unique car and the best part is it's local. From my first initial glance the car will need a new top but that is typical from what I've been told. The cab window is clear as can be.

The only thing I'm currently struggling with is the fact the car is a cabriolet. I really like the lines of the coupe better but this car is so unique I think I may consider it.

Any cab guys out there that swear by them?
Old 02-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

David,

On your mats- some companies send out free color swatches so you can see if they match- just a thought...

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:34 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BMWDavid
I was thinking of putting in a 930R steering wheel, but they are $$$. Maybe look at some MOMO's.

Regards,

David
I assume you meant the 930S wheel...

I had the same thoughts, and went with the Momo Competition (have a Porsche crest hub). It's looks pretty decent, and feels great...changes the whole car. The thing is, I really wanted the 930S wheel, and will inevitably have one eventually. Once you see the real thing in person, it is hard to have anything else IMO. Yo may want to just bite the bullet and get what you want from the start! And this especially goes for such a beautiful, unmolested car such as yours...
Old 02-17-2007, 03:29 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Paul,

I realized too late about color swatches. I'll just have to hope I like the mats when they come in.

Drew,

Yes I meant the 930S wheel. I'll look at the MOMO Competition wheel you mention. But I'm afraid you are correct in that in the end it will be the 930S wheel that does the trick.

I think Automotion (Performance Auto) is having a 15% sale at the moment...need to check that out.

Now only if the weather would clear up...snow and salt at the time on the roads!

David
Old 02-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

David,

your cars twin is for sale...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=330930

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Face15
Advanced

Man, that car is sweet! Someone should buy it!

Quick Reply: Think I found my Porsche...need opinions