Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Think I found my Porsche...need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:59 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that 27K is a bit of money. However I think this car is probably worth it based on market updates I've seen in "Excellence" as well as other listings. I'm not really interested in the 993 yet. Hear to many SAI issue stories. The 964 was an interest for a while but it appears hard do simple work (plug changes,etc.) on it.

That being said I would love to get a car for 18-20K. I've looked at a few that were close enough to drive to and was not happy with the cars. I plan on the possibility of a little money needed after I get the car for those surprises. I'm not really expecting that from my first impression of this car.

As I said at first posting it will need another battery as the one that is in car although new is to large and is not sucured with the hold down clamp which is in the trunk. It will also need a replacement **** for the missing fan speed **** on dash as well as a seatbelt/brake warning light lens-the lamps function fine its just the lens/cover that is missing.

It has had a recent service that included all fluids, filters and valve adj.

Should this all come together and I get the car I will post pictures.It will probably be towards the end of the week before I bring car home. We just had our first snowfall and there is salt on the roads. Need to wait until salt disapates or rain.

Oh, I'll probably need some help and advise on how to post pictures.

David
Old 01-21-2007, 03:42 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As excited as you may be about that car, get a PPI. It is a nearly twenty year old car, and obviously is not driven much.

Repairs on these cars can be absolutely frightening. You could have $10,000 of issues on that car once you you have driven it. In my first few days with a low milleage SC with a good PPI, I STILL had a turn signal/headlight switch repair (over $100), a major steeering column isssue ($800 to fix), fluids changed, etc etc etc...about $1,500 with essentially nothing wrong.

My guess is that with such low miles, that car is going to have some issues with bearings, filters, perhaps suspension, shocks. Wheeel bearing and suspension bushings could be another $1,500. The car may need shocks...that's another $800-$1,000. This isn't to say it isn't a great find...it is probably a beautiful car, but you should know what you are getting into. Don't let your heart get in the way of being practical...these ARE machines, and there are plenty out there! Caveat Emptor!

Edited - Didn't see "new" tires in your post. Note, though, that five year old tires without use can be dryrotted.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BMWDavid
Oh, I'll probably need some help and advise on how to post pictures.
If you can't figure it out, email them to me at p_kennington@hotmail.com and I'll post them for you.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

David,

$27k is really worth it on this car IF you are very interested in a completely clean car cosmetically with ultra low mileage. It sounds like this car is near new and there is a premium to be paid for these ultra low mileage cars. How many of these cars are for sale at one time? Not too many and the price reflects that. You're lucky this car isn't priced above $30k right now. Some high end dealers would have really marked this thing up being an Anniversary car with ultra low (under 20k) miles.

At 2500 to 3000 miles per year, you are probably doing the car some good by driving it and you won't see too much of a depreciation hit until the odometer gets over 30,000 miles. Hit 50k and she'll be down near the lower $20k range.. If you were going to put 8000 to 15,000 miles on the car per year, you'd take a huge hit in depreciation...

With ANY used car you buy, you are taking some risk. Even this 14k mile car could have a valve guide issue at 40,000 miles. The clutch/pressure plate/TO bearing could fail next month just from age & lack of use, etc., etc. If you are prepared financially to take this risk, I wouldn't worry much about this car and it sounds like a gem. Most everything can be fixed with money.

If you are worried about dumping $2500 into a clutch or having to spend $1000 on this or that, then an older 911 is probably not for you. ALL of these cars require something or other either now or later. You'll have over $30k in this car in due time just from freshening stuff up that is aged. Is that O.K. with you? I've got a relatively low mileage, garage queen 964 which sees only about 350 miles per year and even that car requires maintenance just from sitting.

However, this car sounds like a nice one. Go for it!

Jay
90 964, 84 3.2
Old 01-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
In my first few days with a low milleage SC with a good PPI, I STILL had a turn signal/headlight switch repair (over $100), a major steeering column isssue ($800 to fix), fluids changed, etc etc etc...about $1,500 with essentially nothing wrong.
I bought a 3.2 Carrera this past spring that was in very good mechanical condition. The previous owner stated the car needed nothing mechanical related and it had full records from new. Even though the prior owner fixed a lot of flaws on my car, I still spent $4000 on fixing mechanical stuff to make everything correct and perfect. Even little stuff ads up in a hurry. So, I will re-emphasize Drew's point above that you must be prepared to spend money on these things regardless of their history and how water tight it may be. Drew's experience is very typical of what we all go through.

Again, Good Luck and go in with your eyes open!

Jay
Old 01-21-2007, 04:18 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

it is worth reminding us all of the obvious - even a ppi does not assure that you won't have costly repairs emerge - even shortly after purchase. a ppi is a means to learn more about a car & get an independent pov from a dispassionate pro. given the special nature of this example, and the comensurate price, I would negotiate a warranty of some sort - for instance, a 90 day period wherein the dealer would pay for significant mechanical failure(s) up to $3K - peace-of-mind is worth a shot, anyway.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:25 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

David
this is currently on Ebay, and there are plenty of shops around to do a PPI...figure 1200K to ship it to your door...and all the service seems to be done...
Good luck
PS ill be in Phoenix next week (late) and if its still available happy to eyeball it for you
Good luck
Frank
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOW-M...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-21-2007, 10:32 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

That's a beautiful 86, Pancho. The only weird thing is the missing front spoiler (as it has the Carrera Tail), and the fact that the owner says everythhing is original. Those things just don't fall off!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
The only weird thing is the missing front spoiler (as it has the Carrera Tail), and the fact that the owner says everythhing is original. Those things just don't fall off!
I like this '86 too. Good colors (bad photos!).

I agree that this car needs the front spoiler as well. I doubt Porsche would let one of these cars go out of the factory with just one spoiler. They work together... However, seeing this "build sheet" could shed some light on how this car was equipped. I tend to think these 'single spoiler' type cars had these spoilers added at the dealer level and not by Porsche. Porsche knows better (and probably would not open themselves up to that kind of liability with equipping cars with one spoiler and potentially making the car unstable at speed).
Old 01-22-2007, 10:36 AM
gunlover05
Racer

Somebody won this car...anyone here??

Looks like a great car...$21K is top dollar for a non-G50 car...If there is nothing to "fix", then I think it is a decent deal for such low miles...would be hard to find many with that low miles.

I paid $15K for my 85 coupe w/86K miles about 5 months ago...3 previous owners and not much maintenance history...definitely a driver. I've spent @ $1500 so far, but all my own maintenace (SW chip, stainless cat-bypass, M&K 1 in/ 1out)....
Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 AM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Picked up my 87 Carrera for 12.5 (117K) firgure 1200.00 in p/u costs, and Im looking at about 2K in service (tires, 120K tune-up (swepco gear oil good choice?) K&N filter, 911Chip (steve wong) paint interior both 8.5)
Old 01-22-2007, 12:36 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Panchosouth, the recommended gear oil for a G50 (87-89) is Mobil 1. Swepco 201 is recommended for the 915 trannies. If you ask Pete Zimmerman and Steve Weiner, I think that would be their comment. This has been discussed many times over the past couple of years.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:40 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Spider thanks for the heads-up. will do same.
Thanks
Frank
Old 01-22-2007, 02:44 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that it is a bit odd that there have been 3 owners in only 14K miles. It certainly begs questions like: What did they not like about the car? Or, is there some other hidden fault or defect?

Just food for thought. I like the conditioned deposit approach and a short term warranty. Can they/will they provide a certified warranty underwritten by the dealership for major repairs?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:19 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

To answer about lack of miles. The past owners belong to that group of people that have lots of money and big garages. Nothing wrong with car itself.

By the way, I went back Monday and spent the better part of two hours looking and checking the car over. Had the help of a service tech from dealer.

Under the indoor lighting we could see some very minor scratches in the paint mainly on the roof. Can't see them outside.

Interior is perfect...no issues here.

All systems check out but a plugged windshield washer jet needs cleaning.

The engine has a small seepage from a "T" fitting at the left side upper cam cover area. Resulting in same oil dampness on the cover and some dampness on rubber engine bay seal on left side. No drips. Tech though a wrench or new sealing washer should fix that.

Car runs fine, shifts great, brakes fine. It felt better the second time around as I was more used to the car and at ease. Got dealer to put in new correct battery, replace missing HVAC **** on dash as well as missing lens for brake warning light cluster.

Bought it!

I pick it up this Saturday. I'll get a hold of a digital camera (don't have one) and email them to poster a coupe of postings up and let him post them.

David

Quick Reply: Think I found my Porsche...need opinions