Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   Think I found my Porsche...need opinions (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/325562-think-i-found-my-porsche-need-opinions.html)

BMWDavid 01-20-2007 07:42 PM

Think I found my Porsche...need opinions

Well, I think I've found my 911! Its a 1989 Silver anniversary model...Coupe, build date 01/89.
Here is the info on it:

14,000 original miles!
Tires are 5 years old with 3,000 miles (SO-2's)
Spoiler package.
Never in salt or rain.
Perfect original paint, no chips, dings.No curb rash on front spoiler or body or wheels. Just a small bit of tire mounting scraping on a couple of wheels. I pulled up the carpet pads and it is clean and dry under there.
Totally stock even has original radio.
Perfect cabin, clean as new. Smells like leather...no musky odor at all.

Drives great, nice and tight, no smoke on start hot or cold, acceleration or deaceleration. Engine is dry. Trans shifts like a dream, clutch feels great no slippage.
Brakes pull down nice and straight and smooth with a solid firm pedal.
Everything works but the second hand on clock.
Have all service records. There is not much of that because of the low miles. But it has had timely oil/filter changes and fluid changes (trans/brake/clutch)
Have owner manual and such but not the window sticker. Have spare tire pump.
No evidence of any mice or vermin in the car from long periods of storage.

The only negatives if you can call them that, battery is new but wrong size. Knob missing from upper right side slide control on HVAC controls and lens over seat belt warning light is missing.

I can get it for $27,900. Based on low miles and all do you guys think I should get a PPI? I mean, this car is like new! I've looked at it top to bottom and can find no flaws. It drives like new. I called the local Porsche shop that has serviced this car and they say no need to inspect as they know car and it is as it appears.

The dealer sold the car new and they know all of the owners (3) of the car. I personally know the folks at this dealer and have bought several cars (new) from them over the years.

So what do you think? Tell me your honest thoughts.

David

Paul K 01-20-2007 07:58 PM

Absolutely get a PPI. Sitting can really hurt these cars- they need to be driven. Also, get a PPI from a shop that DOES NOT have prior knowledge of the car. I have no idea on price, but hopefully someone else will chime in...

earlyapex 01-20-2007 08:15 PM

Low miles does not mean low problems. Things dry out and leak or brake because of lack of use. Things have a shelf life even if they are sitting around. These 911's are better when they have been driven and well maintained. Have the car fully inspected before writing a check.

It otherwise sounds like a sweet find. Budget at least 2k for fixes that come up in the next 12 months.

Post some pictures.

Luus 01-20-2007 08:26 PM

Great find :rockon: Don;t pass on the PPI it's worth the extra $$$ for peace of mind. Post pics when you get her

BMWDavid 01-20-2007 08:35 PM

I'm not able to get a PPI from a third party within a reasonable distance. The dealer that has the car is a Porsche dealer and the servicing shop that has serviced this car are the only two places capable of doing a PPI in this city.

I do understand the need for a PPI. However I have followed the outline posted at the beginning of this forum. I did not do an internal check of valves/studs and leakdown test.

I did the best I could. Car was up on a lift so I could inspect the chassis. It is all corrosion free. Under the doors at the weep holes are clean. I looked into all body crevises(?) and inside engine compartment with a flashlight and all is good. No damage or repaired body panels and such.

All rubber boots on CV's and tie rods look great. There is no signs of any oil seapage on engine or trans. Calipers appear dry and brake master cylinder area is dry and clean.

I'm aware that low miles/lack of use can be a negative. But this car appears intact and ready to run. In fact as I drove the car and allowed it to warm up first I paid attention to all operations and functions. After about 15 mins oil temp seemed to stabilize so I ran the rpm up to 6,000 in the first 4 gears. Nice and smooth. No missfire's and tires were not flatspotted.

I plan on allocating some funds for any problems/issues that might pop up.

David

ked 01-20-2007 08:36 PM

David, as Paul said, get a ppi in any event - from an ind expert on old 911s.
As to value - I think the price is not out-of-line. Caveats: this car will depreciate in direct correlation to amount it is used. If you are buying it as a driver, well, you can get nice drivers in the $16-24 range. If you are buying it to park, show (would be great for Preservation Class) & cherish (occasional driving only) you won't get hurt - in fact it would be great fun if that's your thing. If you are buying it as an investment (that is, to make $), then it may be awhile before there is a feeding frenzy, even though it is the Anniv Ed. Very low mileage cars can have lotsa maint needs in the first yr they become drivers (like those tires - rubber ages even when not being used). (btw, the clock has no second hand - that is an adj tell-tale.) To reiterate, the most important factor is probably your motivation and intentions. good luck!

Paul K 01-20-2007 10:20 PM

Ked- very well said. I stick to the thorough PPI by an independant shop advice- sure, it may cost you, but I'd be wary of dropping $27k into any Porsche without one. It's the stuff you don't see on a lift that will cost you. Where are you? Please add your location to your profile.

Daniel Dudley 01-20-2007 10:57 PM

If you feel strongly about the car, give them a deposit for purchase on the condition that it passes a PPI. I don't think all low mileage cars suffer the maladies that we are projecting, nor do I think that you will be happy if you loose this car by not putting down a deposit.

I don't think you need a leakdown, but it can't hurt. I wouldn't be surprized if you had minor AC issues. Might be worth it to peek into the gas tank.

We are rooting for you, and that is a fair price from a dealer. I expect you could drive it up to 40K with no depreciation, minus commission. LOL

BMWDavid 01-20-2007 11:38 PM

Guys I really appreciate the encouraging words. My plans are to enjoy the car at the rate of 2,000-3,500 miles a year. Mainly on nice weekends. I have an '95 M3 as well as an '06 VW GTI that will continue to demand my attention for a drive. So it won't be to hard to keep the miles down to a reasonable level on the 911.

I'm not to concerned that I might cause some depreciation on this car. It will still be cheaper than buying a new car. In any case I'm not into this as an investment. I've always wanted a 911 and now I've found a "new" '89 3.2 Coupe. The last of the 911's prior to the 964's have always been my favorite.

What I think I will do is on Monday I'll go back for another look at the car as well as a drive. I'll get it up on a lift again. I know the dealer well so I'll see if I can "borrow" one of their top techs to give me some guidance. I'm going with my gut on this one. If it still looks good and drives as I remember from today I'll probably do it. I think I'll regret not going through with this if I let it go.

One of my concerns has been the "value" of this car. From what I can see by looking at the classifieds, ebay and the charts in "Excellence" it does not seem too far out of line if at all. Some of you as well as magazine write ups mention that nice drivers are in the 16-24 range. I've looked at a few cars such as those and was somewhat discouraged due to the overall condition of said cars and the asking price. From what my experience has been this car is about $5,000-$6,000 more than the cars I've looked at. I remember one '87 Coupe I looked at. 92,000 miles, non stock wheels, non stock steering wheel, repainted Black-was Red. Had a musky odor inside. Dealer (not this one) wanted $18K. It did not drive well so I passed. They sold it to someone else a day later.

I'm sure there are very nice cars in the 18-22 range but they don't seem to be close to me distance wise.

Anyway, thanks again for the input. If any others want to add to this please do. I will continue to check this posting and I will follow up on Monday with my decision. Should I get the car I most certainly will post photos.

David

r911 01-21-2007 01:31 AM

Will the dealer give you a warranty?

oceanvue 01-21-2007 02:09 AM

I don't care how low the mileage or how pristine the condition if the second hand on the clock doesn't work, run like hell.

BMWDavid 01-21-2007 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by oceanvue
I don't care how low the mileage or how pristine the condition if the second hand on the clock doesn't work, run like hell.

Yeah, I thought about that for a while. :p

No warranty given.

Now that I've slept on it...can't wait to see the car again Monday. Hopefully all goes well again after a second drive and looking over.

I still feel good about this. I'll post Monday PM with my actions after I get back from dealer.

Man it sounds/feels good, the idea and reality that I'm about enjoy Porsche ownership. Its been a long road to this point.

David

David

Paul K 01-21-2007 10:53 AM

Post pictures!

joey c 01-21-2007 11:20 AM

i think 27k is too much..you can get a great driver for 20k..trust me that 27k will be more like 31k in less than a year..i put 5k into my car in one year..i like the idea of 18k and put 3k into it..i prefer the 3.2 to the 993,its more raw and fun,but with that said,you can get a 993 for 27k and up..you can also get a 996..i still prefer the 3.2...but at close to 30k,i might look at these other cars..j

shaynes 01-21-2007 11:54 AM

David if you don't want the car, please email me and let me know where that sucker is please.....

shaynes@johnrwood.com

Thanks, only if you don't want it.

Spencer E. Haynes