Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 04:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

im curious about your synchros,,, when i did my1/2 synchros i replaced the synchros, brake bands and stop blocks for 1/2 . car has been fine. I was told i should replace the dog teeth too when doing this but they seemed fine.. what did you do ?

also did you go with swepco or kendal ?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2021, 05:06 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
im curious about your synchros,,, when i did my1/2 synchros i replaced the synchros, brake bands and stop blocks for 1/2 . car has been fine. I was told i should replace the dog teeth too when doing this but they seemed fine.. what did you do ?

also did you go with swepco or kendal ?

Thanks
I had an issue with 3/4, and some dog teeth were missing. Put in new 3rd gear dog teeth, 3/4 shift sleeve and new 3/4 syncros. Did not need to replace other dogs or synchros, though I learned a trick: you can flip a moderately worn synchro over, which he did for 5th gear, with no issue, especially a less used gear like 5th. If your dog teeth were fine my understanding is you do not need to replace.

Swepco.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:57 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Nice work - small things like new bushings in the pedal assembly make for a huge improvement in the feel of each pedal. Interesting find with the pin.

Once the bushings have all been addressed in a 915, they shift very well - a lot of misconceptions with these gearboxes. Once these things have been sorted out, the stock or factory short shift levers are more than adequate for a nice, smooth shifting experience.

I know a transmission rebuild is in my future at some point - hopefully I can get by for a bit. I get very occasional slight grinding in 1st, but if I do not rush into first immediately following pressing the clutch it does not happen (let the syncros catch up). What is concerning is the 'rattling' type of noise i hear while in neutral and clutch out ---- hmmmm.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:33 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myflat6
Nice work - small things like new bushings in the pedal assembly make for a huge improvement in the feel of each pedal. Interesting find with the pin.

Once the bushings have all been addressed in a 915, they shift very well - a lot of misconceptions with these gearboxes. Once these things have been sorted out, the stock or factory short shift levers are more than adequate for a nice, smooth shifting experience.

I know a transmission rebuild is in my future at some point - hopefully I can get by for a bit. I get very occasional slight grinding in 1st, but if I do not rush into first immediately following pressing the clutch it does not happen (let the syncros catch up). What is concerning is the 'rattling' type of noise i hear while in neutral and clutch out ---- hmmmm.
I believe the rattling can be caused by misalignment of the shift linkage, putting pressure on the shift fork. If the noise can be abated by moving the lever left in neutral (or 1st, going slow), try a very slight side adjustment to the linkage. I found with the Wevo, because it has such a powerful side spring that is setup for 3-4 gates, I got that rattling/spinning sound going slow in first gear. Pulling the lever to the left took the pressure off and stopped the sound. That was my sign to adjust it, though the Wevo always puts a lot of side pressure in anything but 3-4.

The short shifter does not exhibit as much side pressure, and once I got the shift linkage just right, no noise.

Just a suggestion.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:49 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

^ thanks for the rec! I will check this out this weekend
Old 06-03-2021, 10:06 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch

I also got rid of my Wevo shifter and went with a factory short shift. This was an unqualified improvement in my opinion. Looks good, shifts good.

I'd like to hear more specifics on that!

Besides the rattling, I mean.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:36 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r911
I'd like to hear more specifics on that!

Besides the rattling, I mean.
I guess I would say:
  • the transmission builder believes the Wevo causes unnecessary wear, and IIRC he said it was putting side pressure on the shift forks that you don't want. Makes sense to me when you see how the gears are engaged inside the tranny.
  • The Wevo feels more like a modern shifter, i.e., no slop or looseness, in neutral or any gear, but the shift rod, when not attached to the shift mechanism (coupler, shifter) has a easy, natural amount of play in it in neutral. The factory shifter allows you to feel the play, so to me it feels more compatible to what I (now) know is going on in the transmission when you shift. For example, when you come out of 1st into N, Wevo pushes the shifter to the 3/4 position naturally and you have to fight it to go into 2nd to some extent. Factory ss does not have that preload (except when coming out of 5th, the spring ensures R lockout works and you head to 3/4 plane). Also getting into R in the Wevo always felt like more effort than it should have been -- unlike the ss.

Might just be in my head, but but the Wevo is partially hiding what my 915 naturally feels like, and factory shifter feels like it's matched to it.

Last edited by TheTorch; 06-04-2021 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-04-2021, 02:35 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks. There are lots of gaga Wevo and other shifter reviews but they almost invariable compare the new unit with an old worn-out shifter. (Nothing against Hayden for his design tho)
Old 06-04-2021, 08:22 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

The Wevo is almost a work of art, super high quality.

Quick Reply: 915 Transmission question