Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Will PAG offer 'Python Green' or 'Lizard Green' on the 718 Spyder? I am frustrated!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 08:34 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Will PAG offer 'Python Green' or 'Lizard Green' on the 718 Spyder? I am frustrated!

Dear Rennlisters:

I have been a regular contributor to Rennlist since 2010, concentrating on the subject of colors, options & Porsche history.
I have in the past few years become increasing frustrated with PAG on how they disappoint even their most loyal & enthusiastic
customers through failure to manage PTS, CXX and the ordering process in general.

Interestingly enough, I started my thread writing career in Rennlist documenting the entire field of unsold 987 Spyders at US
dealers September of 2010. And I found out there seemed to be a disconnect of what dealers were ordering on spec and
what the enthusiasts were looking for! Many of you interested in the early history of the Spyder model might find this thread
interesting:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...y-is-huge.html

I decided in early 2011 to order a 987 Spyder but missed the limited window of PTS in March 2011 by a few weeks. I went
on to order a Spyder in an unusual spec which proved rather attractive for its time. And in documenting my ordering ordeal,
it got me started on my later threads on 'Custom Ordering' which you still see to this day as Stickies on the 991, 981 & gt3
forums:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...tom-order.html
As the 987 Spyder models finished production in 2011, I also documented some of the most interesting data on its limited
production. And this could also be important information for those of you interested in the early history of this Spyder model:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...to-the-us.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...er-spyder.html

I skipped purchasing a 981 Spyder model because I bought with a 991.1 gt3 which I held for two years. It was one of the
unusual 'Signal Green' PTS that was produced late in the 2015 model year. I documented that interesting story of how
PAG produced a limited number of 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3's in a special thread that
was a sticky for over three years at the 991 gt3 forum. Furthermore, we used that thread to identify where these PTS
gt3s were allocated in the US dealer network, which resulted in a disproportional number of Rennlisters getting hold of
these PTS cars!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...grey-gt3s.html

In 2017, after attending the PCA Parade in Spokane, I started my quest to get a future 718 Spyder. I reported on a
conversation I had with the CEO of PAG at that event which led me to place a deposit for one at Porsche of Colorado
Springs:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...aspirated.html

My allocation was just announced to me last week by my dealer. It's a May production with scheduled delivery in June.
Perhaps like many of you, I am extremely disappointed that PTS is not available. It is particularly galling that PAG has
just announced a 718 GTS model that will be build also in Osnabrück at Karmann that will be offered in 'Python Green'.
The UK configurator has it already listed. In fact, to rub salt on the wound, the color is highlighted in the website:

I can't find much information on this color, which incredibly has been the same one used by Porsche for a totally different
hue in their Chromaflair offering for the 991.2 Turbo S a few years ago. Talk about color confusing their customer base!

https://www.thedrive.com/news/13470/...he-911-turbo-s

Obviously the 'Python Green' of the 718 gts is not the Chromaflair variety but PAG doesn't bother to explain the difference.
In the video above, the color looks like a 'solid/uni'. If anyone has seen it in person and can confirm for me if it's a solid or
a metallic, it would be appreciated. As most of you know, I am a fan of 'solid/uni' colors, but that is just a personal preference.
And we were teased by PAG into having some hope of some other color green added to the Spyder/gt4 palette, this time
'Lizard', by the late addition of deviating stitching in 'Lizard Green' in the configurator. But that hope has faded as it was
revealed that 'Lizard' has been deleted from the 992 color palette due to some unknown reason. Yet, we have some photos
that revealed the 718 Spyder/gt4 model in various hues of 'green' which show us the potential...if only PAG would allow it.
Looks like 'Lizard Green' on the 718 Spyder with factory plates below:

Frankly I am at wit's end by the way that 718 Spyder & gt4 customers are denied what even lesser models are allowed
to have as far as exterior colors. And it confirms for me that I have been correct in calling out PAG for their mismanagement
of their various color programs, from the elusive PTS option to their limited selection of 'Special Colors', in their desirable
gt models. I don't know if this type of venting, via this forum, will get me to accept that after these many years I will be
once again denied the ability to order a Spyder to a color that will excite me. Ultimately, I don't even know if it will force
me to give up on buying a new Porsche ever again. But it's pretty frustrating...and I just wanted to share that frustration
with all of you. I just renewed my membership to Rennlist so I could receive pm's, in case any of you have any news
you might want to share with me regarding this topic.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
The following 5 users liked this post by Z356:
JSF101 (02-12-2020), ManuBen (03-16-2023), mdork (02-12-2020), n4v4nod (02-11-2020), Sean in Texas (02-19-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 08:51 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 428 Posts

I have always appreciated your educational posts. I am disappointed in the color choices this round, especially in light of the lack of PTS option. I would have taken a Python Green Gt4 to match my Lizard RS and keep the reptile theme going, but oh well. My car locked with Gentian since Euro Delivery date now set, it will do. Thanks again for your efforts to educate us.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:05 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 317 Posts

Why get upset about colour? Why get upset about limited run colours that you don't get? You can't win them all and if the losses are on just getting specific colours, count yourself lucky that it's something that trivial with a vehicle. Keep in mind that offering and changing colours of paint is not a no-cost thing for any manufacturer, especially in limited runs. They aren't just filling up a paint gun with some new paint out of a can, there's a lot more to it when you get into the automation and batching they have to do, they might not be making GT cars along side regular production cars on the same lines at the same time when those colours are prepared.

I don't think I can offer any sympathy for your frustration.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:49 PM
jayson
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 115 Posts

Not sure if there is any truth to it, but I was told the Lizard Green GT4 in your photo was a pre-production car that was intended to launch with the others at the unveiling/press events - but then Porsche decided not to offer Lizard Green as an option.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:35 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

I feel your pain. I really wanted a great green for the gt4 as well. I feel the same way about python. I'm pretty sure my build locked by now (I have to check) but I would have picked lizard or python if I had the option. I chose gt silver.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:39 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 146 Posts

Eduardo you certainly are a great ambassador for all things pts and color related, and I admire your passion. I too wish we were offered some green.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:43 AM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

Eduardo,

I've given up on PAG and their unimaginative color palette for the GT cars (particularly the Cayman & Boxster class). Feel your pain.

Give your post a "double like!"

cheers,
Steve
Old 02-12-2020, 04:16 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Yes, I totally agree. It is almost insulting that there is a more exciting colour palette for the lesser GTS than the GT4/Spyder where all the colour choices are more akin to ordering a dull executive car. Frustrated by the choice, I ended up ordering a Spyder in Gentian Blue but I am not excited about it at all so am seriously considering dumping the order and shifting to a GTS where I can get a colour that makes me want to look back at the car and puts a smile of my face.
The following users liked this post:
JSF101 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 06:13 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Z356,

I hope all is well. I can confirm Python is uni. I personally have not seen it, but the configurators list it as uni and someone I trust has seen an official panel (the ones that go on the wall) and confirmed it is uni.

Your frustration is understandable, but, from Porsche’s perspective, you are describing a feature, not a bug.

Early adopters get limited choice (ostensibly to stop flippers). Happened in GT3 where manual, PTS, touring, CXX, and PTS and CXX on touring all rolled out late. (I know speedy was somewhat different, but those allocations rolled out all at once and mere mortals like me could not get an allocation at anything near a reasonable price).

Non-GT cars get more color and option choices. Want a green 718? Porsche would have you order a GTS, it frees up a spyder allocation. Yes, not yet available in the US, but Porsche sells other cars and would be happy to put you in a short term lease ....

None of this is particularly new, it’s just the way it works. They tweak it a bit here and there. I think they did a good job with 991.2 GT3, as, if you waited, you could get what you wanted. The only downside was that there was not quite enough allocations so there was too much ADM (which, I believe, porsche is trying to and seems to have fixed with GT4/Spyder where there does not seem to be much ADM). Less of a good job with no PTS on US GT3RS and still ADM which has resulted in a bunch of dealer spec cars now trading under MSRP basically new.

The bottom line is if everyone could get the special spec special GT Porsche they wanted right away, none of them would be special and demand would fall. Put simply, porsche does not want us ordering special cars, owning them for a year or two doing cars and coffee, and selling at a profit or no loss with 1500 miles on them. They also don’t like dealers charging ADM (which is really money porsche could keep). So, you wait and pay more (via CXX and PTS prices) and hope what you really want becomes available, or you order from the menu with an early allocation.

In the end, does it really matter? Especially for a car that you may only keep for two or three years? I suppose it matters somewhat; but I don’t think I would like my GT3 all that much less if it were A1 black v. PTS 210 and I plan to keep it for a very long time. And because it matters to me, and also because I have such a long term horizon, I am perfectly fine waiting for PTS to open up before trying to get a spyder allocation or waiting for the 25th anniversary boxster.

BTW I tried to send you a note, but you PM box was full. I have some 718 CXX info for you.
2XIPA (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 06:49 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

I’m pretty sure the Spyder and gt4 are built in Stuttgart (see the Chicago car show post).

I think they will offer PTS. Once the exclusive department is done with all the speedster special orders they should the capacity. I’d just push back my order and wait a few months if I wanted it.

I think python is a close relative to the historic viper like lizard is to gelbgrun. (I haven’t seen it though).

evil, spill the beans on the cxx.

Last edited by Loess; 02-12-2020 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Added
evilfij (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 06:55 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 731 Posts

The limited paint palette could be because the car is built in Zuffenhausen not Osnabruck.

I was told the factory is focused on Taycan production, so that has taken some priority.

PTS May become available later this year.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:10 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

I feel your pain Eduardo! I was also really excited to order Lizard Green given that the new price increase in PTS is just a joke. As much as I want a Green or Continental/Signal Orange GT4 I can't process the new pricing of PTS...is a total rip off.
The info I have, and I already posted this, is that there was a problem with the supplier of Lizard Green...the color was pulled from all models and even orders already locked were forced to change them according to GM at my dealer.
There's a slight chance it may get added back....crossing my fingers.
My current 981 GT4 is Racing Yellow and looks awesome, I like it a lot, but wanted something different his time.
My current choice for the 718 GT4 is white and maybe do a deviated stitching either in Lizard Green or Orange to add a little bit of fun on the inside.
If I get bored with white guess it will wrapping time for the 718 GT4, which I have to do anyways as I do a lot of track days.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:29 AM
981Spyder_PTS
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Python vs. Lizard

Python, Lizard and Mamba Green (Metallic)
The following 4 users liked this post by 981Spyder_PTS:
evilfij (02-12-2020), TikiLou (09-14-2020), wizee (08-03-2020), yooj (09-11-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:01 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,479 Likes on 627 Posts

I understand your frustration, but why not get a full wrap instead? That will give you the color you want and full protection of your paint. A full wrap would probably cost less than PTS too. If/when you sell the car, it would probably be much easier (and command a better price) if it were a more neutral color. I see all pluses with a wrap.
Brainofjjj (03-11-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:24 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I understand your frustration, but why not get a full wrap instead? That will give you the color you want and full protection of your paint. A full wrap would probably cost less than PTS too. If/when you sell the car, it would probably be much easier (and command a better price) if it were a more neutral color. I see all pluses with a wrap.

I share your logic on this and it's probably the way I will go....but...for some people the uniqueness and resale value (besides the hero stories on how you got PTS, not a "cheap" wrap, at the next C&C) are top consideration and PTS offer that.
On my case since I have to do a full wrap on the car for the track I might consider going with a color wrap.
Would pick white as it's a very neutral color and in case of resale have a much broader market than a very specific PTS or flashy color....I had a few people come to see my GT4 but once they see Yellow they like it but then say "too flashy for me..."
Of course...if they do offer Lizard or Python green then all of the above is out the window as I really want a green GT4.

Quick Reply: Will PAG offer 'Python Green' or 'Lizard Green' on the 718 Spyder? I am frustrated!