Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Number of Unsold Spyders in Dealer Inventory is Huge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Number of Unsold Spyders in Dealer Inventory is Huge!

I spent many hours this Labor Day Weekend going to the PCNA website & looking up EVERY American dealer's complete new Boxster inventory of available Spyders. From Maine to San Diego, Miami to Seattle, and everywhere in between. There remains an unusually large number of these cars unsold as of these last days of seasonal good weather across most of the US! In my opinion, this high level of unsold 'stock' inventory at dealers (and their high flooring cost) will have a bearing on the date Porsche sets for termination of Spyder production for this model year, especially in light of the rumored introduction of the similarly lightened & sharper tuned Cayman CS or R scheduled for early Spring production! Both will appeal to the same niche buyer and there is a limited demand for this type of product in our market, as these levels of unsold inventory appear to confirm (plus that damn bad economy still out there!).

Besides the unusual high number of unsold Spyders in dealer stock all over the US, the other interesting thing I found was the high number of cars with sport seats (not the lighter buckets) and equipped with a long list of 'weighty' options. Dealers, apparently remembering the intro '09 PDK 4S with buckets which most had a hard time selling due to the seats, have decided to hedge their bets with the more universally 'fitting' Sport Seats. We will see if this turned out to be a wise choice for dealers. Unlike the regular (non-gt3) 911, this Spyder appeals to the purists - the same ones that a generation or two ago bought the original Speedsters (from '55 to '58)! I also could count in my hands the ones with AC DELETE. I don't remember seeing any $1700 lightweight Lithium Ion Batteries in any of the Spyder's options list. On the positive side, I saw more than half of the cars were ordered with the optional sport exhaust, which most owners and reviewers have deemed 'a most have' option.

The least seen color in inventory (and perhaps also reflects total production) is Cream White, followed by Aqua Metallic Blue. The Silver Metallics were scarcer than the Carrara Whites, Guards Reds and Blacks (both Basalt and non-metallic Blacks). Most interiors are black, followed by full Red leather. Most black interiors were not the full leather type. A few Sand Beige (which I find the least attractive interior) are still around and I saw no special 'Cocoa' interiors at all.

Sport Chrono without PCM is quite common (so you also see CDR30's everywhere). Porsche 'Exclusive' options like deviating stitching (on alcantara, seats and leather dashes, etc.) are rare to see. Quite a number of PDK cars are still available, including some ordered without the extra cost paddle shifters. The standard PDK thumb switched wheels - just introduced with PDK back in '09 - now look 'odd' and 'old fashioned' in contrast with the paddle shifters.

Talking about steering wheels, the early production manual transmission Spyders with the silver metallic centered steering wheels stand out like a sore thumb in clear contrast with later production all black wheels. The latter ones look nice and 'mean'. They would be my choice. Both PDK wheels, however, suffer when contrasted with the new 'all black' steering of the 6 speed manual cars since they carry over too much polished metal, same with the PDK center console shifter.

Most wheels are, thankfully, the lighter 19" standards (a good thing!) and some have the painted option (mostly in black). No side stripes delete that I could see. MSRP's varied from mid $60's on 'stripped' low options cars to low $80's for full boats (literally, they must also weight as much), the latter mostly ordered by a few Southern California dealers. But I bet you knew that already or could have guessed, no?

It would be interesting to know if any forum member has been able to negotiate a reasonable discount at this time, given the large inventory of unsold Spyders out there.

Saludos,
Eduardo

2012 Spyder - 'Aqua Blue'/Red
1970 911E Targa - 'Crystal Blue'/Black

Past:
1968 912 Targa 'Polo Red'
1970 911 T Coupe
1983 944
1972 914 2.0
1984 911 SC Coupe
1986 944 Turbo
1960 356 B Cab
1954 356 Pre-A Cab 'Azure Blue'
1960 356 B Roadster
1964 356 C Cab
1959 356 Convertible D
1964 356 Carrera 2 Coupe 'Königsblau'
1965 356 C Cab 'Signal Red'
1990 Carrera 4 Coupe
1997 Boxster
1997 Boxster #2
1973 911T Sunroof 'Signal Yellow'
2007 997 Carrera S 'Signal Green'

Last edited by Z356; 07-23-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I did the same thing over the weekend (although I didn't scrutinize colors/options), and counted 125. Keep in mind that those are cars in dealers, in transit, at port, and on the water (and probably some that are sold; mine was still on the dealer inventory a week later).

However, I came away with the opposite impression; an average of less than one car per dealer didn't sound like many to me, and given limited allocations remaining, doesn't seem to leave a lot of room for negotiation on what is a 2011 model.

With 360 cars sold through August, 125 on the ground or inbound, and 2-3 more months of production (so say the rumors), seems to me that there may end up being less than 1,000 Spyders in the US.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 PM
pcw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer that I got my Spyder from had 3 allotments. One they order for their stock and was sold 15 mins after it was prep'd and placed on the showroom floor. The other two (one was mine) were ordered/sold. I'm one with the Sport Leather Seats (p77), The buckets are one nice looking seat, but I found them extremely hard to get in and out of. I also had a concern for longer drives/trips with those buckets. I also added the heated seat option and the PSE as well. Out of all three the dealer orderd, all had the p77's, A/C and radio. The one they order for their stock was completely loaded, close to 80K. My dealer is in CA and I would presume that CA dealers sold most of their Spyders. Mine is not my DD and not sure I would have gotten one if I had not lived in CA. All I can say is the car is simple awesome.

pcw
Old 09-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Smithee: I hope you are right. Discounts are a double edge sword. If the market calls for them (and we will see how dealers deal with their Spyder inventory this long winter), the model will be less desirable in the long run for owners and worth less at resale. Good point about 'in transits'. I did see a lot listing with a 'facsimile' representations - full option list but but no photos. But at least 70% of the listings had the actual photos of the cars as they sat at dealer's lots. So those are already 'in'.

pcw: I hear you with those seats. Even Cass Whitehead, chief instructor at the Porsche Sport Driving School in Alabama, recently told me that he was, after a particular long driving trip from Atlanta to Miami in a Spyder, a little uncomfortable with the sport bucket seats because of lack of lumbar support. But he found no fault on the shorter rides and, of course, on the track. He dearly loves the car and told me it is the only model he has been tempted to buy for himself with his own funds. That says a lot, I think!

Would love to hear from each of you more about your actual impressions of the Spyder now that you have own one for a while. z356
Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Smithee: I hope you are right. Discounts are a double edge sword. If the market calls for them (and we will see how dealers deal with their Spyder inventory this long winter), the model will be less desirable in the long run for owners and worth less at resale. Good point about 'in transits'. I did see a lot listing with a 'facsimile' representations - full option list but but no photos. But at least 70% of the listings had the actual photos of the cars as they sat at dealer's lots. So those are already 'in'.

pcw: I hear you with those seats. Even Cass Whitehead, chief instructor at the Porsche Sport Driving School in Alabama, recently told me that he was, after a particular long driving trip from Atlanta to Miami in a Spyder, a little uncomfortable with the sport bucket seats because of lack of lumbar support. But he found no fault on the shorter rides and, of course, on the track. He dearly loves the car and told me it is the only model he has been tempted to buy for himself with his own funds. That says a lot, I think!

Would love to hear from each of you more about your actual impressions of the Spyder now that you have own one for a while. z356
I bought mine April and I couldn't be happier with it. Remember that it's a 2011 so dealers have a full year to sell them (August 2011 would be the next model year as 2012, IF they make it).
I've put on 2200 miles on it and all of them have brought a smile to my face - and I've had 964 RSR (street), 996 RSR (race), 996 Cup, 993 cup and may street models in-between... it takes a lot for me to like a car and I think that this one is the most akin to the 964 RS of the early 90s...
Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I've also done this search and like you I found an unusually high number of sports seats and also pdk. It doesn't make any sense to add either of these options as it negates the purpose of the car. Why not just go for a Boxster S and option it out instead?

Some dealers are willing to negotiate and others aren't. Just depends on how they do business. In general the Spyders carrie the same amount over Invoice as other Porsches so the dealers to have room to negotiate.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 78 Posts

Z356,
did u actually count what's the ratio between manual & PDK? that would be interesting to see.

myself would prefer a manual car with the bucket seat, but seems like in Cali there are more PDK with sports heated seats...
Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 PM
pcw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
It doesn't make any sense to add either of these options as it negates the purpose of the car. Why not just go for a Boxster S and option it out instead?
Marine Blue - Although it may not make sense to you, it makes perfect sence to me, sence it's my car. I didn't like way the buckets felt and they were to deep for my liking. I also wanted heated seats which do not come with the buckets. I don't like to have to slide across and then drop into the seat. The p77's are great seats, able to move and has lumbar support. I didn't want the Boxster/S, the flat truck lid, the bubble for a convertible top, wasn't appealing to me. I'm not tracking my car so the "extra" weight for the seats, radio and A/C isn't a big deal for me. I like manuals, so the PDK wasn't for me. People have reason for what they want, may not be what you would option, but then again it's not your car.

pcw
Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Jean-Marc: Well, I didn't have an 964RS but I did get the first '07 Boxster that my dealer (Rector in Burlingame, CA) got back when they first came out, after being first in line on a two year waiting list. I even flew to Scottsdale in the Fall (1996?) for the premiere worldwide introduction of the Boxster! But that first car was a very low powered vehicle, before they came with the S version and other improvements. Regardless, I did like the car very much and kept it for seven long years. After that, I thought I was all done with that smaller Porsche mid-engine platforms. I then moved on to other sports cars from BMW (M3, Z8, 650i) and Audi (RS6).

Since last year, my thoughts for a new sport car have been concentrated on the newer 911 gt3's - a glorious Orange or Green RS .1 or an improved .2's. Lately I started considering more 'practical' alternatives since I am not a real track junkie, so I have been studying the Audi R8 market and attended the R8 Driving Experience at Infineon (Sears Point) to get some seat time in that car. Then about four weeks ago I started reading the experiences that some of you have had with this new Boxster Spyder since early spring. The first glimpses I got were at the Rennlist gt3 forum by the postings of Savyboy, Zellamsee, Polar and others that own BOTH a new gt3 and a Spyder! I was blown away that they would compared both of these cars (so far apart in price!) in the same terms and with similar praises. I have since tried to read all the reviews & forum talk on the Spyder by you, Smithees and others. It is still difficult for someone who drove the initial '97 Boxster for all of those years to fathom that this same platform in Spyder form (albeit with advances in horsepower, suspension & lighter weight) could be the subject of so much glorious jubilation! But that is apparently the case. But please try to understand my initial amazement!

Now, after the many months since its first deliveries in the Spring, I would be really interested to know more details as to why the Spyder continues to enthrall its many owners...and some of its downsides that you have found out from your own practical experiences. And do any of you Spyder owners think that a better car might be the Cayman CS/R and we should first wait to see how that turns out? Thank you. z356
Old 09-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by pcw
Marine Blue - Although it may not make sense to you, it makes perfect sence to me, sence it's my car. I didn't like way the buckets felt and they were to deep for my liking. I also wanted heated seats which do not come with the buckets. I don't like to have to slide across and then drop into the seat. The p77's are great seats, able to move and has lumbar support. I didn't want the Boxster/S, the flat truck lid, the bubble for a convertible top, wasn't appealing to me. I'm not tracking my car so the "extra" weight for the seats, radio and A/C isn't a big deal for me. I like manuals, so the PDK wasn't for me. People have reason for what they want, may not be what you would option, but then again it's not your car.

pcw
You're right, I shouldn't have assumed that the buckets are for everyone. I can see where they might not work for everyone. Same applies to the pdk. World would be a pretty boring place if we all liked the same things.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Has potential to be collectable

I love my Spyder even though it's far from perfect. Having a fair number still not sold and rumors of not making them next year makes it a niche car that is likely to keep the values high. If they sold everything and there was a waiting list, Porsche would likely continue and bump up production. I like having a quirky car that is different enough to attract subtle attention without being a high dollar status symbol. It's a blast to drive and the suspension is as close to being perfect that I can imagine for a street car. I got the 6 speed because this car for me is all about fun. Seats- can be changed later through parts dept/techquipment if it's that important. A/C can be removed later if you really need to lose I few pounds (I could stand to lose a few myself). I'll bet that I will lose less money on this car when/if I sell it than I did with my 997 S launch car and 997 turbo.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

20C4S: Well, I should have had pencil and paper handy, but like a fool I didn't write anything down. In my defense, I must tell you that I didn't start out thinking I would look at each dealership's Boxster inventory in the country! But after going through California's, Oregon's and Washington's in detail, I decided I was on a roll and might as well keep going. It took me hours to do this. But don't worry, I will be doing another country search next month to see what is happening to this inventory...and might actually write it all down this time around.

Of course, if anyone in this forum has a friend at a P-dealership, the PCNA master computer database could generate all of this information in seconds...or perhaps a few minutes at the most. I personally don't want to bother my contacts at various Porsche dealers since I am not yet ready to pull the trigger or seriously discuss a purchase. I am still in the research phase of my 'hunt' for a sport car suitable for my needs & desires. But others here might have relationships that can easily access all of this information quickly and might be willing to share it with us in this forum. z356
Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i have had a lot of caymans and box and gt3s. this spyder is a very special car. and on the street, it's every bit as good as the RS if not better. i think the car is too pure and focused for the GENERAL PUBLIC. most buyers would not accept the "strange" soft top. but for me, if i were to get one, i would throw the top out the window on my way home. what's the point. i live in CA.

as far as cayman RS, CS goes. i dont see much point. if you really really want to track, get a GT3 if you want to drive on track occasionally and have a lot of fun enjoying the sun and on street, get the spyder. i loved my cayman on track, but the fact of the matter is that it is not supported by PAG for track duty. there are many issues when you track it hard. yes, you can get around it, but you better be $$$ and patient. if you dont like to do that, track a GT3 and enjoy the spyder. that's why savyboy, polar etc have these two cars.

Last edited by mooty; 09-09-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Mooty: Good points on the upcoming Cayman CS/R, if they actually ever make it! I think you are spot on re: the Spyder's greater appeal.

By the way, do send me a PM on the day you do get a Spyder, so that I can follow you out of the dealership and stop to pick up the 'strange' soft top with the expensive carbon attachment bracket/latch when you throw it out the window. I am not that far away from you as I live in Carmel and can be there in less than an hour. A duplicate top will be nice to have...and there is always Ebay!

By coincidence I saw your old 997.1 Orange gt3 RS (the one you got from the first owner in Marin County) at The Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills a few months ago. I think they finally sold it. Cheers, z356
Old 09-08-2010, 11:20 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Jean-Marc: Well, I didn't have an 964RS but I did get the first '07 Boxster that my dealer (Rector in Burlingame, CA) got back when they first came out, after being first in line on a two year waiting list. I even flew to Scottsdale in the Fall (1996?) for the premiere worldwide introduction of the Boxster! But that first car was a very low powered vehicle, before they came with the S version and other improvements. Regardless, I did like the car very much and kept it for seven long years. After that, I thought I was all done with that smaller Porsche mid-engine platforms. I then moved on to other sports cars from BMW (M3, Z8, 650i) and Audi (RS6).

Since last year, my thoughts for a new sport car have been concentrated on the newer 911 gt3's - a glorious Orange or Green RS .1 or an improved .2's. Lately I started considering more 'practical' alternatives since I am not a real track junkie, so I have been studying the Audi R8 market and attended the R8 Driving Experience at Infineon (Sears Point) to get some seat time in that car. Then about four weeks ago I started reading the experiences that some of you have had with this new Boxster Spyder since early spring. The first glimpses I got were at the Rennlist gt3 forum by the postings of Savyboy, Zellamsee, Polar and others that own BOTH a new gt3 and a Spyder! I was blown away that they would compared both of these cars (so far apart in price!) in the same terms and with similar praises. I have since tried to read all the reviews & forum talk on the Spyder by you, Smithees and others. It is still difficult for someone who drove the initial '97 Boxster for all of those years to fathom that this same platform in Spyder form (albeit with advances in horsepower, suspension & lighter weight) could be the subject of so much glorious jubilation! But that is apparently the case. But please try to understand my initial amazement!

Now, after the many months since its first deliveries in the Spring, I would be really interested to know more details as to why the Spyder continues to enthrall its many owners...and some of its downsides that you have found out from your own practical experiences. And do any of you Spyder owners think that a better car might be the Cayman CS/R and we should first wait to see how that turns out? Thank you. z356
I also had the very first Boxster at my dealer (black 986 with zero options) when I lived in Atlanta (Jim Ellis). I also saw it built on the line (first ones were made in Zuffenhausen and I lived 1/2 in Europe and 1/2 in the US at the time)... I loved it - was racing a 993 Cup at the time and my daily driver was a C4 and I still loved the Boxster experience (and so did my wife). We kept it a year, put on 8,000 miles, mostly going to Hilton Head on week-ends (pre-kids!) and sold it to an Atlanta brave player for exactly what I paid for it new!
About the Spyder: The only downside is that the roof is not "easy" for everyone. My wife won't take it out when she thinks it might rain... and it does in PA!
I can't think of ANY other downside... mine has the bucket seats, PDK and sport chrono, PSE, xenons, A/C and that's it... and I wouldn't change a thing!
My dad was visiting from Europe recently and got a "flash" flood and wasn't able to put the roof up for about 4 minutes (I can do it in less than 2) so some water got in the car. It's been ZERO problem and there isn't a single sign of water having gotten in the car.
In my mind, it's currently the best Porsche for what I do with it. I'm looking at a C4 as a daily driver but this will never be half the fun of the Spyder - but useable every day, including in the snow...

Quick Reply: Number of Unsold Spyders in Dealer Inventory is Huge!