Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Will PAG offer 'Python Green' or 'Lizard Green' on the 718 Spyder? I am frustrated!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020 | 09:48 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 671 Posts

A wrap that changes color does not offer nearly the protection of paint protection film.
The vinyl colored film is better than nothing, but will be damaged more easily than PPF.

Thank you Eduardo for all your contributions. I feel the same as you. Color is very important to me. The car must be “the whole package”. I also wanted PTS on my GT4 but had zero chance. I was lucky to get a build. Agate was the only color that spoke to me. I do think it looks great but wished for something different.

i truly loves my Peridot Cayman R, and our UV RS. Neither were PTS but hose were fun colors that looked great. I love when a GT car has a unique launch or special color found only on that model. The GT4 launched in racing yellow but that color is available on just about every P car which makes it less special. Peridot was only for the cayman R (unless spec’d as PTS) and UV wasn’t the launch color but was only for the RS unless PTS on a p car.

These are first works problems. I still feel strongly about color being part of what makes me look back at the car and smile.

I will probably order white or silver on the next car and I might wrap in a color for fun.
Old 02-12-2020 | 09:53 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,486 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
A wrap that changes color does not offer nearly the protection of paint protection film.
The vinyl colored film is better than nothing, but will be damaged more easily than PPF.
Heard about that......so might as well use the real thing and protect the paint. There goes my plan B!
Old 02-12-2020 | 10:16 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

Also a bit dissapointed in color choices… Since I'm way down the list at my dealer I hope more options become available. I'm expecting to spec my car summer/fall 2021 if they go that far in allocations.

A wrap is a very thin and stretchable material that is not intended for PPF purposes… but it's better than nothing and will protect against abrasions from road grime/sand/insects/small rocks. A bigger rock will tear the vinyl and get to the paint for sure.

But this thread got me thinking… could we put a PPF film over a wrap to get both a color change from the wrap and better impact resistance from the PPF? But at that price (2 times 3-5k) we are in the range of a professional paint job in the color of our choice...
Old 02-12-2020 | 10:28 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

As a first time buyer, I'm taking the car to get my foot in the door. I would have loved PTS as I want an Arena Red car at some point in my life. I could get a 993 or one of the limited 991.1 but I'd rather have new if possible. Maybe the 992.2 GT3 should I be so lucky to get an allocation and they have PTS. Thanks for all your contributions to the topic over the years. It's been a wealth of knowledge.
Old 02-12-2020 | 11:02 AM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by kart125
Also a bit dissapointed in color choices… Since I'm way down the list at my dealer I hope more options become available. I'm expecting to spec my car summer/fall 2021 if they go that far in allocations.

A wrap is a very thin and stretchable material that is not intended for PPF purposes… but it's better than nothing and will protect against abrasions from road grime/sand/insects/small rocks. A bigger rock will tear the vinyl and get to the paint for sure.

But this thread got me thinking… could we put a PPF film over a wrap to get both a color change from the wrap and better impact resistance from the PPF? But at that price (2 times 3-5k) we are in the range of a professional paint job in the color of our choice...
Good ? kart125, I know you can use Xpel over vinyl wrap and you are bang on with $$$ Full Xpel wrap for my GT4 will be 5k CAD then you got wrap so you are in the ball park of some fresh paint.
Old 02-12-2020 | 12:00 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
Good ? kart125, I know you can use Xpel over vinyl wrap and you are bang on with $$$ Full Xpel wrap for my GT4 will be 5k CAD then you got wrap so you are in the ball park of some fresh paint.
Downside of new paint is resale. At least with wraps you can peel and return to original.

New paint you still have the issue of paint damage if that's a concern. So add PPF cost on top of new paint.
The following users liked this post:
FASTRKMAN (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020 | 12:16 PM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

For all of those who are disappointed with the color choice on the GT4/Spyder, it looks like Porsche has set up its own wrap business. It is in German only but fairly easy to navigate (choose GT4 then “Farben”). Lots of choices there (orange, gulf blue, night blue, green, etc).

https://www.secondskin.design/
Old 02-12-2020 | 01:28 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Yes a wrap from the factory is an option. I assume CXX (special wishes).
One might assume (hope) the factory would do a spectacular job. Any wrap whether vinyl or ppf is only as good as the installer.

What happens if there’s a minor scrape or rub in shipping that damages the wrap (but not the paint)?
Plus you don’t see the paint until you unwrap.

I’d probably opt to wrap it at delivery so I can see the condition of the paint, and if the wrap is unsatisfactory I’d have more convenient recourse.

I would also look into applying ppf first with a color vinyl over ppf. Don’t know if it’s possible but that way if you tire of the color it can be unwrapped and ppf stays.

Our ppf installer applied a second ppf layer in front of rear wheels on RS because it took a beating and was peppered with chips quickly. He said he could peel off the second rock guard layer and replace as needed. It was barely visible. You really had to look for it to see the line.

M biggest concern on vinyl is dismantling some parts of the car to wrap seams. I had the dealer tech dissemble the car for ppf. This way I trust that clips are not broken in the process. I don’t want rattles.
Old 02-12-2020 | 01:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts

Now here's a cool color palette...

Old 02-12-2020 | 01:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,175 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
That is so much more interesting than the sports car palette. I wonder if we can expect those to be added to sports cars??
Old 02-12-2020 | 01:45 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Did they expand the Taycan offering?
Old 02-12-2020 | 01:50 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 951 Posts

Taycan configurator still shows the smaller color offering... did someone just create this on their own? Their pipe dream?
Old 02-12-2020 | 01:54 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 96 Posts

That Taycan brochure came out in September 2019 so who knows if or when those colors will be released.
The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020 | 01:56 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I’d probably opt to wrap it at delivery so I can see the condition of the paint, and if the wrap is unsatisfactory I’d have more convenient recourse.

I would also look into applying ppf first with a color vinyl over ppf. Don’t know if it’s possible but that way if you tire of the color it can be unwrapped and ppf stays.

M biggest concern on vinyl is dismantling some parts of the car to wrap seams. I had the dealer tech dissemble the car for ppf. This way I trust that clips are not broken in the process. I don’t want rattles.
All good points!

I think PPF under wrap is difficult since wrap has to go around the edges while PPF stops a couple of mm shy of the edge. If wrap is over PPF I think it will peel the PPF when removing wrap… but hey, I dont know for sure… just a concern but your idea is great! Change the wrap as needed and keep PPF...

When I wrapped my car I removed all the trims/bumpers/door handles carefully (with the dealer tech software to know how to remove the different parts) and everything went fine with no broken clips but it was scary some time when it said in the instructions "pull strongly until release". I would prefer to do it myself than let someone else do it but that's just me… probably…!
Old 02-12-2020 | 02:10 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

kart125^ I’m lucky to have a trusted and very talented master tech at my dealer, along with a service manager second to none. If not for those guys I might consider doing it myself.
Edit: it would probably be me helping hubby who is also very mechanical. But I like to do my own work where possible.

Quick Reply: Will PAG offer 'Python Green' or 'Lizard Green' on the 718 Spyder? I am frustrated!