Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2024, 12:05 AM
Macht Schnell
Track Day

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dmboone25
I would think that the driving experiences / feel of those two cars would be pretty different, but perhaps not?

Size, sound, transmission, suspension, weight, open top vs. coupe, mid vs. rear engine are just a few things that come to mind.
This GT3 vs SRS comparison is complicated - and the reality is that they are two different cars that I am hoping have equal virtue. I am waiting for delivery of my SRS and am excited. I have had two GT3s and an RS and put more than a decade's worth track miles on all three cars. I expect that the SRS will have a unique sensory experience but know that somehow it isn't the same as a 911 GT car - the tradeoff is about getting something a bit more useable, and a convertible. I have never had a mid-engined Porsche - only 911s - and the way the 911 (especially the GT3 and GT3RS) puts power down is unique in my experience with road cars on a track. You can lean into the rear tires as you add the power and the weight bias of the car and big rear rubber just soaks it up - the way it hooks up is intoxicating on a track. Once you have got to a point where you are comfortable with the limits of a GT3 (or derivative) there is nothing quite as rewarding. So, is buying an SRS a cop-out? I don't think so - to get that amazing engine in a more practical car for the street - especially if you live in a sunny climate - I think it will work. I've never had a Touring (or S/T) and that might be the holy grail, but here in CA, a GT3-engined ragtop is pretty hard to beat
The following users liked this post:
Jay Cordeiro (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 12:31 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,568 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Macht Schnell
This GT3 vs SRS comparison is complicated - and the reality is that they are two different cars that I am hoping have equal virtue. I am waiting for delivery of my SRS and am excited. I have had two GT3s and an RS and put more than a decade's worth track miles on all three cars. I expect that the SRS will have a unique sensory experience but know that somehow it isn't the same as a 911 GT car - the tradeoff is about getting something a bit more useable, and a convertible. I have never had a mid-engined Porsche - only 911s - and the way the 911 (especially the GT3 and GT3RS) puts power down is unique in my experience with road cars on a track. You can lean into the rear tires as you add the power and the weight bias of the car and big rear rubber just soaks it up - the way it hooks up is intoxicating on a track. Once you have got to a point where you are comfortable with the limits of a GT3 (or derivative) there is nothing quite as rewarding. So, is buying an SRS a cop-out? I don't think so - to get that amazing engine in a more practical car for the street - especially if you live in a sunny climate - I think it will work. I've never had a Touring (or S/T) and that might be the holy grail, but here in CA, a GT3-engined ragtop is pretty hard to beat
‘Practical’ isn’t the word that comes to my mind for a loud car with a fussy top and no rear seat. I thought the indulgent impracticality is supposed to be part of the appeal. OTOH, I could daily my GT3.
Macht Schnell (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 04:14 AM
dm18
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 5500kms on my SRS which includes a 3500km road trip. I have tracked the car twice. I had a 4RS summer 2023 which I never bonded with. SRS is so much better car IMO primarily due to less induction “noise”, of course open top and better suspension settings both on twisty’s and even on track. Car is simply playful and fun. I have 992GT3RS which I think is greatest road legal track car ever and Dakar which is heavily used when roads/weather not suitable for SRS.
The following 3 users liked this post by dm18:
Adrift (09-05-2024), Bill_76 (09-05-2024), Manifold (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 09:05 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by dm18
I have 5500kms on my SRS which includes a 3500km road trip. I have tracked the car twice. I had a 4RS summer 2023 which I never bonded with. SRS is so much better car IMO primarily due to less induction “noise”, of course open top and better suspension settings both on twisty’s and even on track. Car is simply playful and fun. I have 992GT3RS which I think is greatest road legal track car ever and Dakar which is heavily used when roads/weather not suitable for SRS.
nice porsche garage 👍
Old 09-05-2024, 10:20 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,250 Likes on 723 Posts

Question for you guys.

I find when I enter a fairly fast corner the car leans into the corner and grips nicely but when I exit and start to steer out of the corner the car feels like it flicks back or sways back the opposite way of the lean/corner.

is this some type of driver error on my part or is there suspension settings to adjust?

I’m running 36/40 psi tire pressure. I haven’t looked if that is comfort pressure or full pressure yet.

Old 09-05-2024, 10:25 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Question for you guys.

I find when I enter a fairly fast corner the car leans into the corner and grips nicely but when I exit and start to steer out of the corner the car feels like it flicks back or sways back the opposite way of the lean/corner.

is this some type of driver error on my part or is there suspension settings to adjust?

I’m running 36/40 psi tire pressure. I haven’t looked if that is comfort pressure or full pressure yet.
I can tell you the correct tire pressure according to the manual is 29F 33R. There’s no Standard or Comfort in 718 RS.

Edit:
Keep in mind the tire pressure figures represent the cold fill levels at the ambient air temperature at which the car will be driven; not where it may have been sitting inside overnight. Over-inflating can often be a detriment to handling/grip. For example if it’s 75°F in a person’s air conditioned garage but the car is being driven in sunny 93-degree temperatures in Tennessee, the tire pressures should be filled to about 2 psi lower all around if measured inside the garage at cold fill. Opposite in the winter. Not an exact science, but it’s important to be a bit concerned about having these correct.

Last edited by 348SStb; 09-05-2024 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-05-2024, 10:47 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,908 Likes on 2,210 Posts

You're way out of spec here -- start with 29/33 and go from there. Those pressures going to bring all sorts of problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Jay Cordeiro (09-07-2024), Mike981S (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 10:57 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Question for you guys.

Are you used to driving a mid-engine Porsche? Handling is a bit different from a 911.

It would also be worthwhile to get a proper alignment setup with corner balancing on your car. I did that for my 4RS, and it much improved the handling of the car compared to the factory setup.

As others said, those tire pressures are way too high. Somewhere in the 30-35 range, cold to hot, is where you want to be.
Old 09-05-2024, 11:22 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

I’ll check cold guys, that was on my way here which was 2-3hr drive so the tires had heat in them for sure. Guess I should have noted that.

@Manifold ive never drove a mid engine car before, first time!
Old 09-05-2024, 02:31 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Front 30 rear 35 cold. From dealership like that.
Old 09-06-2024, 11:38 AM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Macht Schnell
It may make more sense to have a TTS + GT3 or SRS. I am still bonding and breaking-in my SRS, but TTS cab is amazing, especially with top-down experience. The SRS cabin has way more turbulence with windows in all configurations (best drivers down, passengers up). TTS interior cabin is remarkably calm with windows and wind diffusor down for street driving, diffusor up for highway driving. Plus TTS is an absolute rocket. The 992.1 TTS is a modern legend. For a 2-car modern Porsche garage, I am thinking TTS cab plus GT3.
Manifold (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 12:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheSince2013
It may make more sense to have a TTS + GT3 or SRS. I am still bonding and breaking-in my SRS, but TTS cab is amazing, especially with top-down experience. The SRS cabin has way more turbulence with windows in all configurations (best drivers down, passengers up). TTS interior cabin is remarkably calm with windows and wind diffusor down for street driving, diffusor up for highway driving. Plus TTS is an absolute rocket. The 992.1 TTS is a modern legend. For a 2-car modern Porsche garage, I am thinking TTS cab plus GT3.
People overlook the TTS because of the craze for GT cars and the reputation of TTS cars being 'clinical', 'sterile', etc. Yes, the 997 TTS is a bit lacking, but the 991 TTS and 992 TTS are engaging and thrilling to drive, very athletic. For the road, 992 TTS is Porsche's true alpha car, and the price has been rising accordingly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Angryinch (09-06-2024), PorscheSince2013 (09-07-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 01:00 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 956 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
People overlook the TTS because of the craze for GT cars and the reputation of TTS cars being 'clinical', 'sterile', etc. Yes, the 997 TTS is a bit lacking, but the 991 TTS and 992 TTS are engaging and thrilling to drive, very athletic. For the road, 992 TTS is Porsche's true alpha car, and the price has been rising accordingly.
TTS is not an enthusiast car. It's an exec car, people that just walk into a Porsche dealership and say I want the 'best'. You never see TTS at the track or car meets, that doesn't mean they aren't great cars though, they just appeal to different people.
Old 09-06-2024, 01:03 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
TTS is not an enthusiast car. It's an exec car, people that just walk into a Porsche dealership and say I want the 'best'. You never see TTS at the track or car meets, that doesn't mean they aren't great cars though, they just appeal to different people.
I had a 992 turbo cab on order and before the allocation arrived I borrowed the exact car from a family member for 2 months.

I drove the car 3-4 times. It is boring, pasteurized, fast automobile. To me it’s a fast automobile, and that’s basically it. No soul.

I canceled the order and bought a 2023 R8 Spyder rwd for less money. Much more fun, and it’s a true sports car.

I’ve been driving 911s turbo forever, so I’m not a hater. It’s just a car that to me has become soulless.
Old 09-06-2024, 01:15 PM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 554 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I had a 992 turbo cab on order and before the allocation arrived I borrowed the exact car from a family member for 2 months.

I drove the car 3-4 times. It is boring, pasteurized, fast automobile. To me it’s a fast automobile, and that’s basically it. No soul.

I canceled the order and bought a 2023 R8 Spyder rwd for less money. Much more fun, and it’s a true sports car.

I’ve been driving 911s turbo forever, so I’m not a hater. It’s just a car that to me has become soulless.
The same here; it is a daily car for me. It has no soul, no sound, lag, etc. Yes, it is super fast and capable, but for daily use, I prefer a fast EV with an excellent sound system (for example, my wife's Taycan Turbo with Burmester). I recall driving a 991.2 Turbo and getting bored after only one hour, and the 991.2 has more soul than the 992.
Maybe the TTS is the best Porsche car, but it's not my cup of tea. Target customers are different 80% of people who buy TTS will never drive a GT car for more than 15 minutes without saying what is this POS lol

Last edited by Bill_76; 09-06-2024 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions