Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2024, 12:35 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,247 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
on the topic of ownership, does anyone miss rear wheel steer though? I've gotten so used to it on the other cars this is my only non-rear wheel steer car now and it really highlights how much it changes the dynamics of the car..

You don’t need it on this car, the weight rotates around the center of the car and not the back end like a 911.
Old 09-01-2024, 12:37 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Originally Posted by Manifold
I never perceived RWS working in my 911s, it's transparent for me. Main difference in feel of 911 vs Cayman/Boxster should be first due to rear- vs mid-engine, and secondarily suspension differences.
I can definitely feel it kick in on the TTS during hard sharp corners, it wraps the back end around nicely.
Old 09-01-2024, 12:49 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I agree with your math, the mag wheels save weight, but they are not only very expensive but less forgiving in the real world.

I applaud the idea of getting the car below 3000 lbs. (1361 kg) but it will be tough to do in the PDK equipped SRS, leaving the roof at home won't be enough!

I have my MT 718 Spyder down to about 3051 lbs (1384 kg) when the Apex VS-5RS wheels are installed, an AG battery will get me closer but still not below 3000 lbs.
This last bit is easy, just take out the passenger seat, and you be under 3000lbs.

It's only natural, if you are going down that path to make the car lighter, why keeping 50lbs of seat and take on a 150lbs+ human being as ballast, dead weight?

Since it's a Spyder and likely you won't be driving it in the rain, might as well have the whole top removed, saving another perhaps 30-40lbs?

Gutting the interior is the next step, all the carpet, insulation and such, that's another 50lbs or so.

Porsche's seats aren't the lightest in the world, swapping the driver seat for a Ricaro race bucket will save a bit more also.

Old 09-01-2024, 01:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,568 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
I can definitely feel it kick in on the TTS during hard sharp corners, it wraps the back end around nicely.
TTS is helped to turn by the sophisticated AWD and PTV. 992 TTS is a LOT of car!
Old 09-01-2024, 05:09 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 260 Posts

lol. really?? you guys don't notice it? its like night and day for me. I guess I have these circular on and off ramps by my house and it was transparent until I started driving this SRS. Perhaps I'm not good enough to really feel this "rotation". my turbo gt without all its weight in the rear still benefits greatly from rws..its huge..

I went for a spirited drive today for about 3 hrs and got a much better feel for the car. it really is surprisingly easy to drive..and the noise isn't that bad in cruising mode. not sure how far of a drive I could do but its really an overall better ride than my GT3T.

@Manifold you are welcome to come down and take it for a spin (though I'm still in break-in)

Originally Posted by Manifold
I never perceived RWS working in my 911s, it's transparent for me. Main difference in feel of 911 vs Cayman/Boxster should be first due to rear- vs mid-engine, and secondarily suspension differences.

Last edited by jlee504; 09-01-2024 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2024, 06:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,568 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
lol. really?? you guys don't notice it? its like night and day for me. I guess I have these circular on and off ramps by my house and it was transparent until I started driving this SRS. Perhaps I'm not good enough to really feel this "rotation". my turbo gt without all its weight in the rear still benefits greatly from rws..its huge..

I went for a spirited drive today for about 3 hrs and got a much better feel for the car. it really is surprisingly easy to drive..and the noise isn't that bad in cruising mode. not sure how far of a drive I could do but its really an overall better ride than my GT3T.

@Manifold you are welcome to come down and take it for a spin (though I'm still in break-in)
Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that. Or let me know if you're ever up in my area with the SRS.

Regarding RWS, I mean it's transparent to me in the sense that I don't feel that there's anything unnatural happening. I have no doubt that it's helping the handling of the car.
Old 09-01-2024, 11:28 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 548 Posts

I agree on the GT3T. Much prefer the 4RS to my GT3T.
Old 09-01-2024, 11:28 PM
Bubba Wibs
Racer

Received 384 Likes on 142 Posts

The ST has rear wheel steer removed and I honestly don’t feel any difference on the road or track in comparison to GT3’s.

I assume I would notice the difference if I drove them back to back or turned off traction control and went full beans. Maybe in the AWD turbo it’s more noticeable.
Old 09-02-2024, 01:39 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

You have to really hammer on it in a hard corner, I can feel it, even my passenger could feel the back end wrap around. I think the AWD turbo makes it more noticeable due to the huge amount of torque.
Old 09-02-2024, 06:42 AM
IanY
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
In the event anybody didn't know we are having our biggest discount on our Lithium Starter Batteries yet , and all our other stuff including Jump STarters, Deep Cycle Batteries this Labor Day weekend.

Hey Scott,
Can you ship batteries to Australia, or do you have a reseller in Australia?
Cheers,
Ian
Old 09-02-2024, 12:12 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,769 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I agree with your math, the mag wheels save weight, but they are not only very expensive but less forgiving in the real world.

I applaud the idea of getting the car below 3000 lbs. (1361 kg) but it will be tough to do in the PDK equipped SRS, leaving the roof at home won't be enough!

I have my MT 718 Spyder down to about 3051 lbs (1384 kg) when the Apex VS-5RS wheels are installed, an AG battery will get me closer but still not below 3000 lbs.
Originally Posted by Whoopsy
This last bit is easy, just take out the passenger seat, and you be under 3000lbs.

It's only natural, if you are going down that path to make the car lighter, why keeping 50lbs of seat and take on a 150lbs+ human being as ballast, dead weight?

Since it's a Spyder and likely you won't be driving it in the rain, might as well have the whole top removed, saving another perhaps 30-40lbs?

Gutting the interior is the next step, all the carpet, insulation and such, that's another 50lbs or so.

Porsche's seats aren't the lightest in the world, swapping the driver seat for a Ricaro race bucket will save a bit more also.
Hah! You certainly have the next steps figured, they would do the deed on my Spyder or even help the SRS get there!

For me though, I do drive in the rain (even on the track), take the car on road trips (RR7 and Tuscon last year) and enjoy the co-pilots company... so maybe do the AG battery and say, 'close enough'.
Old 09-02-2024, 02:36 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 260 Posts

what tire pressures are people running? mine came with 30/36 from delivery and its been more than fine but wondering if people are experimenting with different pressures
Old 09-02-2024, 02:42 PM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy

Hi, I was watching some videos of the seat removal. It appears to be a battery disconnect, 2 bolts, a plug/clip, and a battery reconnect. Maybe easier than putting on the top! What happens after battery is reconnected without the seat?
Old 09-02-2024, 04:41 PM
saintlaurent
7th Gear

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone with driving impressions swapping the Dunlop Maxx Race 2 or Michelin Cup 2's swapped to Michelin P4S?

I'd also be interested to hear driving impressions of people who have GT3s, my own comparison with my 992 GT3 Touring is that the GT3 puts down power way more efficient and the chassi is vastly more confidence inspiring. Maybe it's Porsche holding back but given it's mostly the same engine/gearbox the Spyder RS feels "slower" getting going. Still prefer the SRS but I'm not sure I really feel much difference in terms of the chassi improvements compared to my manual 718 Spyder. Only done about 1000km so still early days. Was thinking it would be a Spyder RS versus GT3T decision but I'm getting more and more convinced that the Spyder RS and GT3 are extremely complementary in reality.
The following users liked this post:
Bubba Wibs (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 04:50 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by saintlaurent
Anyone with driving impressions swapping the Dunlop Maxx Race 2 or Michelin Cup 2's swapped to Michelin P4S?

I'd also be interested to hear driving impressions of people who have GT3s, my own comparison with my 992 GT3 Touring is that the GT3 puts down power way more efficient and the chassi is vastly more confidence inspiring. Maybe it's Porsche holding back but given it's mostly the same engine/gearbox the Spyder RS feels "slower" getting going. Still prefer the SRS but I'm not sure I really feel much difference in terms of the chassi improvements compared to my manual 718 Spyder. Only done about 1000km so still early days. Was thinking it would be a Spyder RS versus GT3T decision but I'm getting more and more convinced that the Spyder RS and GT3 are extremely complementary in reality.
I test drove the 718 Spyder 3 times and drove a friend’s car for about 25 minutes and I cannot tell the difference in ride and handling between 718 Spyder and 718 Spyder RS.

Between 981 Spyder and Spyder RS - big difference. I prefer 981 Spyder: I can feel what’s happening beneath me and on the front end. Spyder RS ride is too refined for its own good (for me).

Quick Reply: Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions