Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 08:31 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
FYI, you can code the speed at which the spoiler deploys if you want
Oh, that is good to know! I will probably do that. 81 is a lot of work and potential trouble to get to on the street in many situations. And I like it going up and down, so it would be nice to lower that a bit.

My shop at the track has the PIWIS software, so it would be easy for me to get done.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 10-04-2023, 08:33 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,081 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Oh, that is good to know! I will probably do that. 81 is a lot of work and potential trouble to get to on the street in many situations. And I like it going up and down, so it would be nice to lower that a bit.

My shop at the track has the PIWIS software, so it would be easy for me to get done.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Spoiler
REAR END ELECTRONICS > SPOILER PARAM > SPORT PLUS RETRACTED = 30 (60kph is default)
REAR END ELECTRONICS > SPOILER PARAM > SPORT PLUS EXTENDED = 90 (120kph is default)
The following 3 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
6IXSPD (10-05-2023), IL_Pete (10-04-2023), j-dub (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 08:59 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Pete without that inner piece are you sure the GT vent on the bumper is working as intended? LINK

Old 10-04-2023, 11:39 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Pete without that inner piece are you sure the GT vent on the bumper is working as intended? LINK
For this kit, I don't think that vent is intended to be anything but aesthetic. For OEM parts, there are a lot of parts you need to do to do the GT4 Bumper and all the functional airflow, including upgrading a radiator, from what I understand. I never fully researched it.

Like I said, I am going to get the stock bumper back on, and if I like it just run with that for the foreseeable future. I likely will punt on that kit, it just isn't for me. I am exhausted with all the waiting for the car, dropping it off, being without it for a while, picking it back up. I just want it done and home to enjoy! Still a couple of things left to do, then I will be done for at least a while.

I went out for an hour+ drive today, and it was a blast! What a car. Not once during that drive did I think about which bumper was on it.
The following users liked this post:
j-dub (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 09:53 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Updated pics with my HRE Wheels put on. They provide for a wider stance with a wider offset, and that combined with wider tires visually better fills the wheel wells. Also, it improves performance and steering feel. I have actually had these wheels on all 5 of my 718 4.0's - they were expensive, I am trying to get my money's worth out of them! Also they have about 80 track sessions on them. I did have to get the paint touched up when they retired from track duty.

Specs:
Fronts: 19x9 ET50, Rears: 19 x 10.5 ET44 (With these offsets - Fronts are 13mm wider, Rears are 3mm wider, I am told) (Note that you can also go 19 x 11 ET50, the resulting offset is the same and the tire sizes you can use are the same.)
19” Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires - 255/35R19 Fronts, 285/35R19 Rears (Apex recommended 19” Fitment for GT4/Spyder, and GTS 4.0) (I have also used 255/295 as well, for the GT4 on the track. 265/305 is possible too, that would be optimal for a GT4 Track Car IMO, but you do need front Camber Plates to get the 265's in there and not rub. That is basically the size I run for Michelin Slicks on my Race Car.)

One other thing to mention - Now that this is almost complete with regards to the exterior mods, visually I think the GT4 bumper makes it a little "front-heavy". And I don't think lowering it would solve that. The GT4 of course is more visually balanced with the Wing, but I would think this would have looked more visually balanced, as we are all used to the Spyder with the GT4 front bumper (albeit with a slightly smaller lower lip, maybe that makes a difference visually), and the Spyder to me looks amazing and visually balanced. That reaction to this visually reinforces to me that in combination with the challenges I have had with the GT4 Front Bumper kit, the best approach for me might be to go back to the Stock GTS bumper and stick with that.

I do plan to still install the GT4 Rear diffuser, I think that visually would look "right" with the larger spoiler, basically like the back end of the Spyder.

I will probably follow through later (this winter?) and do something with the suspension, and lower it ~10mm as part of that. I will say that for street driving, the stock SPASM with a little bit of camber dialed in and now with the wider tires, it handles pretty darn great! So I am not in a huge hurry for that modification.

Last edited by IL_Pete; 10-05-2023 at 09:58 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
revcon (10-06-2023), tigerhonaker (10-05-2023), wdr911 (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 11:11 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Interesting pics comparisons:

My 2022 GT4 with the Wing edited out, and the HREs on, and a configurator pic of a GT4 with the Wing edited out:

The car stock:

The car with the Aesthetic Mods and the HREs:

You can definitely see the difference between the SPASM -20mm height and the GT4 -30mm height. It is not a huge difference, but it is definitely noticeable.

FYI, the top pic of my GT4 from last year is after a full track alignment and corner balance. I believe they lowered the front a little below the -30mm height to give the car a little rake.

The stock picture of this car may look like it is a little lower than the pic below that with HREs - that is just likely because the stock pic was taken standing up, and the HRE pic was taken crouched down, and the difference in the sunlight and how you can see more of the tires, I think.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:05 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Mock up with the Ducktail, Side Vents, GT4 Rear Diffuser, and the Stock GTS 4.0 Front Bumper:

(At -30mm, which would require a drop of 10mm from where it is now.)

Hmm, I think I like it...
The following 2 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
RoadrunnerGTS (10-05-2023), UncleDude (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 03:14 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Will take some pics up, when I get a chance.

I never raise my 718 spoilers, other than when the car raises it at speed. So I don't recall exactly what they look like up, and what the hardware underneath is. Nobody ever gets to see it unless I am moving fairly quickly.

This one is very similar in size and shape to the Spyder spoiler. The Cayman and Boxster/Spyder spoilers are not compatible with other because of the shape of the hatch versus trunk, but I would bet that the hardware to raise and lower is identical between the Boxster and Spyder - the Spyder spoiler is compatible with the Boxster, and I had one on my Boxster 25. I would also bet the load spec is the same for the Boxster, Spyder and Cayman, and while the shape of the curve is different between Cayman and Boxster/Spyder, some of the hardware is likely the same. That's the way Porsche tends to do things reuse across trims when possible to be efficient.

I had the TWL Carbon Ducktail spoiler (similar in size) on my 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0 for thousands of miles for many high speed runs, never any issues or concerns. You can see it in the rear view mirror when it is up. It looks as solid as a rock back there, no vibrating or flexing visible to the eye.
Perfect, thanks for the great info.

Yeah I never drive with it up either - only when it goes automatically. I'm just curious what other people will see on the highway haha.
IL_Pete (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 05:16 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

As far as filling arches, black wheels don't help. Need lighter wheels, correct offset and tire brand with straight sidewall.

These are 7mm spacers all round with PS4S 245/295.

Old 10-05-2023, 05:28 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
As far as filling arches, black wheels don't help. Need lighter wheels, correct offset and tire brand with straight sidewall.

These are 7mm spacers all round with PS4S 245/295.

Those Satin Platinum stock wheels look great with the 7mm spacers, and the wider tires!

I had the Silver Wheels on the Albert Blue Cayman GTS 4.0, and they showed the Brake Dust so quickly, it was completely maddening. I agree that Black Wheels don't "pop" visually as much as lighter colored ones do, but I am really wed to Satin Black because of how well they hide the Brake Dust.

I am sure the Satin Platinum Porsche ones wouldn't be quite as bad as the Silver ones, with regards to the Brake Dust.
Old 10-05-2023, 05:34 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Those Satin Platinum stock wheels look great with the 7mm spacers, and the wider tires!

I had the Silver Wheels on the Albert Blue Cayman GTS 4.0, and they showed the Brake Dust so quickly, it was completely maddening. I agree that Black Wheels don't "pop" visually as much as lighter colored ones do, but I am really wed to Satin Black because of how well they hide the Brake Dust.

I am sure the Satin Platinum Porsche ones wouldn't be quite as bad as the Silver ones, with regards to the Brake Dust.
Satin color is great, but I hate the non-gloss finish as difficult to keep clean as ceramic coating doesn't work on the finish very well. I plan to get them clear coated.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:47 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 289 Posts

Update:

I chatted with the PPF guys this morning. We have a plan.

First and foremost, I want to get the Stock Bumper back on and PPF'ed and Ceramic Coated, while I figure what I want to do about the NR Auto GT4 Bumper. That will happen within the next two weeks. (I want to get my Kline Exhaust on first.)

From there, we will take a look at having the Body Shop work on fixing the two lines on the top front of the bumper. Before repainting, I will look at the work and see how I feel about it - do I want to get the bumper resprayed, wait for it to cure, and get it reinstalled and re-PPF'ed?

There is a decision point along the way somewhere, once I get the wheels/tires, the stock bumper and the Kline Exhaust on there, how do I feel about the car at that point, and would I prefer to just stick with the stock GTS 4.0 / Sport Design Front Bumper on the car, with everything else completed?

Normally I would be fairly upset about this - oddly, I am not. I adore this car, love how the Spoiler and Side Scoops look, and driving the car is the very best of any of my 718 4.0's to-date, with the Short Gearing, and the incredible Full Bordeaux Red interior, etc. Never for a moment along the way have I regretting moving forward on this one over the GT4 Manual I also had on order, this was the right path, for my preferences.

I am very comfortable I will sort it out to my complete satisfaction, one way or another.
Hi Pete, my GTS/4 Touring project officially started today. I dropped my CGTS and parts at Flat 6 Motorsports today to start my conversation project. I’m going to start my own thread on the 718 (non 4.0) forum so that I don’t keep stepping all over your thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/718-forum/1367527-starting-my-gts-4-touring-project.html. I met with Billy and Ryan at Flat 6 and checked my GT4 bumper. It had the same mold lines that you have on yours. I asked them to please sand them down flush and to check for any other mold lines before it is painted. I can’t thank you enough for your information about them, there’s a good chance that without your information I would have had the same problem!! So thank you so much.

Were you able to determine if they cut holes in the bottom splash panel so that it vents the GTS third radiator like the OEM bottom panel does? I did also buy the GT4 impact bar and splitter support to be installed as well. Thanks also for your original information about Frog Venom and their rear spoiler. It looks phenomenal on your car !!! It is the perfect size without being too big. I’m sorry that you were first person to test all of these parts for all of us and let us know what works and what doesn’t. I’m sorry that you are having second thoughts about the GT4 bumper. In my case, I liked the aggressiveness of the GT4 bumper over the GTS bumper and with the FV spoiler it will give me the look of the GT4 Touring that I want. I will keep following your thread as well.

Last edited by OldJedi; 10-06-2023 at 06:30 PM.
wdr911 (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 09:56 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 208 Posts

One other thing to mention - Now that this is almost complete with regards to the exterior mods, visually I think the GT4 bumper makes it a little "front-heavy". And I don't think lowering it would solve that. The GT4 of course is more visually balanced with the Wing, but I would think this would have looked more visually balanced, as we are all used to the Spyder with the GT4 front bumper (albeit with a slightly smaller lower lip, maybe that makes a difference visually), and the Spyder to me looks amazing and visually balanced. That reaction to this visually reinforces to me that in combination with the challenges I have had with the GT4 Front Bumper kit, the best approach for me might be to go back to the Stock GTS bumper and stick with that.
Thanks Pete for sharing the info on this thread! I have to agree with what you wrote above: the GT4 front bumper totally changes the balanced look of the car, and not in a good way. I would have assumed it would be a change for the better, but your pictures prove otherwise. Porsche really did a great job styling the front of the GT4 and GTS to make both well-balanced compared to the rest of the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by slilley:
Alpha Ice (10-06-2023), Leonel (10-06-2023), UncleDude (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 12:59 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slilley
Thanks Pete for sharing the info on this thread! I have to agree with what you wrote above: the GT4 front bumper totally changes the balanced look of the car, and not in a good way. I would have assumed it would be a change for the better, but your pictures prove otherwise. Porsche really did a great job styling the front of the GT4 and GTS to make both well-balanced compared to the rest of the car.
Great comment above! The part in bold absolutely resonates with me - all along the way in the process of planning and executing this build, I had had totally assumed it would be a change for the better, and I am a bit shocked that I don't love it.

See a comparison of my car to my previous Spyder:

Oddly enough, the Spyder doesn't look visually unbalanced, but the Cayman does to me. I can't figure out why that is. Is it because my brain is used to the GT4, GTS and Spyder, and a Frankenstein mix of the 3 doesn't look familiar to me? Does the 10mm drop affect the perception? Does the subtle extension of the lower rear with the GT4/Spyder Rear Diffuser make a difference? [Edit: Also, I think the roof in Black also changes the look of the Spyder, it gives it a much "lower" sort of look.]

I am really not sure. But no worries - I am committed to putting the stock bumper back on and going forward with that for the foreseeable future. In fact, I will have the car back late today (hopefully) with the stock bumper back on. I also just ordered the Zunsport Grilles for the GTS 4.0 bumper, so I guess that shows my level of commitment to that decision.

I may later circle back to do something on the front end, but I am going to do the stock bumper and the Zunsport Grills for now, and focus on getting the rest of the initial build done for now.

(Also - interesting comparison above - the Frog Venom Spoiler is VERY Spyder-like, is a good way!)

Last edited by IL_Pete; 10-06-2023 at 01:03 PM.
slilley (10-09-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 01:05 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Hi Pete, my GTS/4 Touring project officially started today. I dropped my CGTS and parts at Flat 6 Motorsports today to start my conversation project. I’m going to start my own thread on the 718 (non 4.0) forum so that I don’t keep stepping all over your thread. I met with Billy and Ryan at Flat 6 and checked my GT4 bumper. It had the same mold lines that you have on yours. I asked them to please sand them down flush and to check for any other mold lines before it is painted. I can’t thank you enough for your information about them, there’s a good chance that without your information I would have had the same problem!! So thank you so much.

Were you able to determine if they cut holes in the bottom splash panel so that it vents the GTS third radiator like the OEM bottom panel does? I did also buy the GT4 impact bar and splitter support to be installed as well. Thanks also for your original information about Frog Venom and their rear spoiler. It looks phenomenal on your car !!! It is the perfect size without being too big. I’m sorry that you were first person to test all of these parts for all of us and let us know what works and what doesn’t. I’m sorry that you are having second thoughts about the GT4 bumper. In my case, I liked the aggressiveness of the GT4 bumper over the GTS bumper and with the FV spoiler it will give me the look of the GT4 Touring that I want. I will keep following your thread as well.

Good luck! I am glad I was able to give you the feedback on the imperfections on the bumper just in time for you to make sure that was properly addressed before painting.

Quick Reply: 718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project