Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 09:18 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Cross-posting from the GT4 Touring thread:

The car will arriving to the Dealer very soon, and an update here that I will be doing the @DeMan Motorsport 2-5 Gear Ratio Mod on the car straight from the Dealer, which I am very excited about!
Whoa…. I didn’t see that coming !! Are you going to ship your car to NY and then back to Chicago? I’m going to guess that this greatly increases the chances that you are going to keep this car. Sounds like a great mod though. Any thoughts about going for the 4.5 engine while it is at Deman? This is going to be a great project.
The following users liked this post:
IL_Pete (08-12-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 08:49 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Whoa…. I didn’t see that coming !! Are you going to ship your car to NY and then back to Chicago? I’m going to guess that this greatly increases the chances that you are going to keep this car. Sounds like a great mod though. Any thoughts about going for the 4.5 engine while it is at Deman? This is going to be a great project.
Yes, the car is on a long journey to get to me. From Germany the long way to the US through the Panama Canal, to a dealer in LA. And then to the opposite corner of the country to Deman. And then back to Chicago. From there, to the PPF shop for the PPF and Ceramic. And then off to a shop for the Exhaust and other Mods. Wow, that's a lot before I really get to drive it!

I am doing just the 2-5 Gear Ratios from Deman. I don't have an interest in the doing the 4.5L conversion, at least not now and not on this one. I didn't get the GT4 Dynoed, but with a Full Exhaust and Tune, it was very quick, I don't know that would want or need more HP and Torque than that for a street car. I plan to put a lot of miles on this one, and didn't want that additional stress on the engine. The 100 Octane Gad requirement is a pain for a street car as well.

I am very excited about this aspect of it. The 718 4.0 is a terrific engine, and while I didn't really mind the longer gearing on the previous ones, I think the shorter gearing will be an improvement for fun of shifting a little more for spirited country road drives!

Thankfully, my requirements are 100% that it has to me a Manual, so I can't get distracted by the 718 RS's. Also with the track car focus, there is a limit to what I would pay for a street car. For instance while I have considered a 992 GT3 Touring, for that price I would prefer to stick with one of these and put more money into a track car, going for a 718 GT4 or GT4 RS Clubsport, or a 911 Cup Car.

Yes, I do plan to keep this one for a longer time than any of the previous ones. I have settled into a pretty set thing with the split of a dedicated track car and a street Porsche, and this is pretty much my dream spec of a 718 4.0. I had a demand order in to 2 dealers in the fall of 2021 for a Cayman GTS 4.0 that were almost exactly this spec, but never got the allocations. I also was pursuing GT4's and Spyders at the time, I needed to experience them. If I were doing a car for street and track, it would be a GT4 or GT4 RS with a PDK, for sure. But what this has evolved into is better for me, a PDK track car and a Manual Street Car. (Albeit more expensive, and quite an adventure to get to this point.)

tigerhonaker (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 02:40 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Just out of curiosity, could you have done a “Courtesy Delivery” with a Porsche dealership close to Deman and saved the cross country trip? I don’t know if Porsche dealerships work together like Corvette dealerships do. With a Corvette I can buy at one dealer but have it delivered to another and usually pay $400-500 for the receiving dealership to do the PDI.

Your planned project will be epic and watched by many. I received my GT4 side scoops and still waiting to hear from Frog Venom about the GT4 ducktail spoiler. The NR Auto GT4 front bumper looks like the way I’m going, I just have figure out how to install the GTS front sensors to the GT4 bumper. I’m not sure how the sensors attach the bumper and if someone makes a kit that would allow me to install the sensors.

Our projects will parallel each other with no particular time line set to finish although I would like to have mine done by the end of the year. I will take before and after pictures to document the progress.
IL_Pete (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 11:30 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Just out of curiosity, could you have done a “Courtesy Delivery” with a Porsche dealership close to Deman and saved the cross country trip? I don’t know if Porsche dealerships work together like Corvette dealerships do. With a Corvette I can buy at one dealer but have it delivered to another and usually pay $400-500 for the receiving dealership to do the PDI.

Your planned project will be epic and watched by many. I received my GT4 side scoops and still waiting to hear from Frog Venom about the GT4 ducktail spoiler. The NR Auto GT4 front bumper looks like the way I’m going, I just have figure out how to install the GTS front sensors to the GT4 bumper. I’m not sure how the sensors attach the bumper and if someone makes a kit that would allow me to install the sensors.

Our projects will parallel each other with no particular time line set to finish although I would like to have mine done by the end of the year. I will take before and after pictures to document the progress.
This notion of "Courtesy Delivery" is possible, if you can negotiate it up front with a new deal with an allocation. Some dealers will do it, others will not, so I am told. I inquired about that for this car. But the car still gets transported to the dealer with the allocation and then gets transported again to the local dealer - at least that is what the dealer told me. So I saw no value in it.

I am not sure about the Park Distance Control sensors, I haven't gotten that far into the planning that far yet, I will investigate. I will likely be dropping off the Spoiler, Side Vents and Bumper Kit to my PPF place next week, they have a Body Shop partner that will paint the items. As I mentioned, they recommend letting the paint cure for 60 days before applying PPF. So I will likely have just the Rear Spoiler installed at time of PPF and Ceramic, and wait with regards to the Front Bumper and Side Vents (or at least the Front Bumper) and do those later after the paint cures. The Spoiler is not in a high impact risk area, so I am not worried about driving with that with no PPF or Ceramic for 60 days.

I am much more focused on the Shorter Gear Ratios and other performance mods, versus the aesthetic Mods. (Although I am keen to get that Ducktail Spoiler on asap.)

I am looking forward to seeing your progress as well!
Old 08-12-2023, 06:15 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Pete, I did call and talk with Billy at Flat 6. He did say that the front parking sensors needed to have holes drilled into the bumper. So, you might want to check with your painter/installer to see if the holes should be drilled before the bumper is painted. He also said that they are out of stock on the GT4 bumper and have to order another one from NR Auto. I’m also still waiting to hear from Frog Venom about the spoilers which are also back ordered.

Thanks, I am looking forward to seeing this project through. I went to my dealership today and took a bunch of close up pictures of Spyder and GT4RS front bumpers.
The following 3 users liked this post by OldJedi:
IL_Pete (08-16-2023), wdr911 (08-14-2023), WillyDaP (08-13-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 02:20 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

And the fun begins!!
Old 08-16-2023, 04:15 PM
Joe250
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 75 Posts

Forgive me if I missed it but are you planning on installing the GT4 splash panel and rear diffuser?
Old 08-16-2023, 04:58 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joe250
Forgive me if I missed it but are you planning on installing the GT4 splash panel and rear diffuser?
Rear Diffuser - Probably. I haven't gotten around to researching the underbody parts yet.

My top priorities right now are the non-aero performance parts, which matter the most for my preferences. Deman Gearing, Suspension, Exhaust, Tune, Wheels and Tires. I will start with the Front Venom Rear Spoiler on the Aesthetics/Aero and do the rest later. Especially given the paint needs to cure for 60 days before applying PPF. I will further sort out details like underbody aero parts desired after the initial above mods.

Last edited by IL_Pete; 08-16-2023 at 05:04 PM.
tigerhonaker (08-17-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 06:19 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

I’m glad that the car has arrived. Are you going to spend any time with it before it gets shipped to NY?
IL_Pete (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 06:32 PM
boss2k
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Why not buy a GT4 instead? What am i missing ? And you like that full red interior ?
IL_Pete (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 06:50 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

I’m glad that the car has arrived. Are you going to spend any time with it before it gets shipped to NY?
No, it will go straight to Deman. I have done this a few times, and I don't really enjoy them stock, not even GT4 or Spyder. The Mods need to get on as quickly as possible, as does the PPF and Ceramic. I would just rather get the bulk of the Mods done up front and have it be closer to how I want it before driving it a bunch.

I find the stock exhaust setup to be almost unbearable!

Originally Posted by boss2k
Why not buy a GT4 instead? What am i missing ? And you like that full red interior ?
Asked and answered already on the GT4 Touring thread, and here. I just had a GT4, and a Spyder. They are great! But I want a Cayman without a Wing and a rear spoiler that raises at speed. This will make no sense to a lot of people, and doesn't really make sense from a financial standpoint (with the stronger resale of a GT4), which is fine. I want what I want, and will do what I want.

Yes, I do like/love the full red interior! This will be my 5th Silver Porsche with a Red Interior. It is a very strong thing in Porsche's heritage, which I feel very connected to. And the first two I had were very special in my younger years, a 1998 Porsche Boxster, and a 1999 996 911 C2 Cab. Then more recently a Boxster 25, and a brief stint with a GT Silver Macan GTS with a Red Interior, that one was not the full Red, it was Black with Red. The other four (including this one) were the full red. I thoroughly enjoyed the first three with the full red, never got sick of them, and never regretted getting them.
The following 3 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
Clark_Kent (08-17-2023), tigerhonaker (08-17-2023), wdr911 (08-17-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 07:15 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

First pics (beyond the factory pics):

Looks like I lost the tire lottery, LOL! No worries - my 19" HREs will be going asap, and they have a brand new set of 255/285 Michelin PS4S's on them.
The following 3 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
nintendo_usa (08-17-2023), Southbama (08-17-2023), tigerhonaker (08-17-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 08:03 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 635 Likes on 360 Posts

That interior is gorgeousssssss...

BTW I am running 245/40 in the front and 285/35 in the rear, the extra sidewall is helpful an fills the gap a little better

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
IL_Pete (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 10:05 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Beautiful car Pete, I’m glad that you got pictures of it before it left for NY.

I also ordered a GT4 front bumper from Flat 6 today and hopefully they will be getting it in stock soon.
IL_Pete (08-16-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 12:05 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

More pics, post-PDI!

Wow - I really love it it! It turned out as amazing as I hoped it would.

I may have gotten a little carried away with the extra leather bits, LOL - Seatbacks, Doorsills, Steering Column, Extended Dash, Climate Control Panel. But hey, you only live once, and this is the last hoorah of the gas-powered Cayman!

The red is a little oversaturated in this pics, it is not quite as intense IRL as it appears in the pics, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it IS intense, but just not as intense as it might appear in these pics. I dig it!

Needs a bigger spoiler, though...

Last edited by IL_Pete; 08-17-2023 at 12:11 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
Leonel (08-17-2023), nintendo_usa (08-17-2023), revcon (08-23-2023), slilley (08-17-2023), tigerhonaker (08-17-2023), wdr911 (08-17-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project