Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Building a "GT4 Touring"...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 08:04 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
One thing to note, as I don't think I've seen it mentioned here.... if the "Touring" is supposed to be "all GT parts underneath but with an understated look" then you want to start with a Spyder or GT4, vs a GTS, as I am fairly certain (?) that, at the very least, the GT4/Spyder subframe in the rear is different, if not the tub itself. So it would take a LOT of work (if not impossible, if there are tub differences) to mechanically convert a GTS to a GT4.
Interesting, I didn't think that was the case. I was under the impression that it was all suspension and suspension-related components. Maybe also some bracing underneath on the rear - good point. But now that you have mentioned it, I will have to do some research to be sure! (I will post anything I find here.)

Either way, I don't think I would be driving it hard enough on the street to be able to notice the difference, if I did suspension upgrades to a Cayman GTS 4.0. I drove my two GTS's pretty hard, including quite a bit of track time on the Boxster 25, albeit at much lower lap times than the GT4 or Cayman R Race Car, because I never upgraded the suspension.

To me the two big things for me pushing me to starting with a GTS 4.0 versus a GT4 (and specifically the two I have on order) are (1) the GTS 4.0 seems to me to be easier to have wingless balanced aero, with a spoiler that deploys at speed, and (2) my Cayman GTS is about $40K less than my GT4. (Also, subliminally maybe because I am obsessed with GT Silver for some reason, and the Cayman GTS is GT Silver, and the GT4 is Carrara White Metallic!)

Mostly I want the raw sound and feeling inside the cabin like the GT4 and Spyder, and the sharper handling and feel of the GT suspension.

I appreciate you mentioning!
Old 07-14-2023, 08:21 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Interesting, I didn't think that was the case. I was under the impression that it was all suspension and suspension-related components. Maybe also some bracing underneath on the rear - good point. But now that you have mentioned it, I will have to do some research to be sure! (I will post anything I find here.)

Either way, I don't think I would be driving it hard enough on the street to be able to notice the difference, if I did suspension upgrades to a Cayman GTS 4.0. I drove my two GTS's pretty hard, including quite a bit of track time on the Boxster 25, albeit at much lower lap times than the GT4 or Cayman R Race Car, because I never upgraded the suspension.

To me the two big things for me pushing me to starting with a GTS 4.0 versus a GT4 (and specifically the two I have on order) are (1) the GTS 4.0 seems to me to be easier to have wingless balanced aero, with a spoiler that deploys at speed, and (2) my Cayman GTS is about $40K less than my GT4. (Also, subliminally maybe because I am obsessed with GT Silver for some reason, and the Cayman GTS is GT Silver, and the GT4 is Carrara White Metallic!)

Mostly I want the raw sound and feeling inside the cabin like the GT4 and Spyder, and the sharper handling and feel of the GT suspension.

I appreciate you mentioning!
This is the 981 but I don’t expect it to be different on the 718

Fast forward to 9:35 or so

The following users liked this post:
IL_Pete (07-18-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 08:32 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

This is the 981 but I don’t expect it to be different on the 718

Fast forward to 9:35 or so

https://youtu.be/L9-Sr8RPty4
From AP himself. Agree it would be pretty much the same 981 to 982. If anything, further improvements for the 982.

Thanks! (For making my decisions harder, LOL!)
daaa nope (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 09:23 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 308 Posts

I mean, sure, different springs and shocks and going for a drive with your eyes closed, would you really be able to sense the difference if you’d started with a GTS vs GT4?

Probably not.

But deep down…. You’ll know.
The following 2 users liked this post by daaa nope:
IL_Pete (07-18-2023), JAhmed (07-15-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 11:06 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

Unless you’re driving at 11/10 on track and faster than almost any other GT4 driver out there you’re not going to notice any aero differences, even if you hack the rear wing off a GT4. Porsche does a great job of selling their downforce on street cars but if you look at the actual numbers it’s laughable. You’re more likely (still very unlikely) to notice a slight difference in tire pressure than you are the differences between downforce configurations on street cars on track, and anyone that tells you otherwise hasn’t driven a car with actual aero grip like single seaters, etc.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:20 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

I mean, sure, different springs and shocks and going for a drive with your eyes closed, would you really be able to sense the difference if you’d started with a GTS vs GT4?

Probably not.

But deep down…. You’ll know.
Ha-ha! Yes, that is the way my obsessive brain works, I will know, and it will bother me!

Originally Posted by Bents
Unless you’re driving at 11/10 on track and faster than almost any other GT4 driver out there you’re not going to notice any aero differences, even if you hack the rear wing off a GT4. Porsche does a great job of selling their downforce on street cars but if you look at the actual numbers it’s laughable. You’re more likely (still very unlikely) to notice a slight difference in tire pressure than you are the differences between downforce configurations on street cars on track, and anyone that tells you otherwise hasn’t driven a car with actual aero grip like single seaters, etc.
Thanks for the comment. Certainly the numbers on downforce on the GT4 are pretty small compared to the 992 GT3 and GT3 RS.
Old 07-15-2023, 12:04 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

So I have decided (for today anyway!) to proceed with the incoming GT Silver Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual for this project. If it falls a little short of a becoming a GT4 without a wing, so be it. The Cayman GTS 4.0 in and of itself is a great car, and now I know better what I would want to do with it, after having owned all four 4.0 variants, and doing a lot of tinkering around with Mods along the way.

The Cayman GTS 4.0 has loaded on to a ship, and is on its way to a Dealer in CA, ETA to the dealer is August 15. Getting close! (My incoming Carrera White Metallic GT4 Manual is available to take over the order on, see the Marketplace for the listing for that.)

Given that, I am going to focus in here on the nuances of this notion of the Cayman GTS 4.0 and taking it towards a "GT4 Touring" Project.

Following up on the Sound Deadening and reducing the Sound Deadening in the Cayman GTS 4.0 to bring more Engine Intake and Exhaust sound inside the Cabin, to make it more raw and visceral like the GT4.

See this thread:

Sound Deadening - Removing from GTS? And Spyder/BGTS Difference

I started it as a Boxster versus Spyder Sound Deadening thread, but it got into Cayman GTS Sound Deadening as well.

@NiteCrawlr posted this about the Clear Engine Cover:

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
There is a person named Henry Chea who makes them as a hobby and sells them. Here are some quick pics. I did this mainly for sound and not for looks and it is actually subtle.

I ordered one of these earlier this year, and have it ready to go for this project. Many have reported that this brings a lot of the Engine Intake and Exhaust noise into the Cabin.

Here is a long thread on another forum on this cover:

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/981...-cover.224633/

@gost1 posted this interesting pic and comment:

Originally Posted by gost1
Has anyone taken out two big chunks of insulation foam from under two rear storage compartments? I haven't tried it yet but that should in theory bring more intake and engine noise into a cabin.

Two foam pieces on the bottom of picture
What a great pic of all the pieces between the engine and the cabin!

While the Glass Engine Cover is widely reported to reduce the Sound Deadening and bring more Engine Intake and Exhaust noise into the Cabin, I agree with @gost1 's comment that it might be worth trying removing those pieces under the Cayman's side compartments. Those things are massive!

It might make those compartments a little warmer (they get warm to begin with), but I have not really used those much anyway in my two Caymans so far. I used it on the GT4 primarily for a Tire Guage to check tire pressures immediately after a track session, but I don't have that need anymore.

Last edited by IL_Pete; 07-15-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 03:08 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,901 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
wow calm down Ayrton
The following 3 users liked this post by JAhmed:
IL_Pete (07-18-2023), Southbama (07-20-2023), SpyderSenseOC (07-15-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 09:46 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
wow calm down Ayrton
That made me laugh.
The following 3 users liked this post by SpyderSenseOC:
IL_Pete (07-18-2023), JAhmed (07-15-2023), Southbama (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 01:00 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh_357
I found this company, which appears to be out of China, but seems to make some parts that look like GT4/GT4RS parts. For instance, this spoiler that fits Caymans with motorized spoilers that looks like the GT4 fixed spoiler. https://frog-venom.com/products/duck...43068682305728 Says sold out, but if they make more could fit the Touring vibe.
Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Thanks, @Josh_357 !

Yes, I have my eye on that one too, I found out about them from another thread here a while back. It has said "Sold Out" for that Cayman Ducktail Spoiler a few months now, I haven't reached out to them yet. I would do that one if available, or the TWL Carbon one. That one would look more OEM like doing the Spyder spoiler on a Boxster - as I did on my Boxster 25 with great results. The CF TWL one is great, looks more so unique and more obviously aftermarket.
Update here on the Frog Venom Ducktail Spoiler - they have them available now, I just ordered one today. (LOL - I guess I am getting committed on the Cayman GTS 4.0 path!)

The material now for the Primed one for painting is now Primed Carbon, not ABS/Plastic.

Pics of mine:

I like the look of it - it has a shape and size more like the Spyder Ducktail than the GT4 Ducktail. The GT4 Ducktail spoiler is smaller - front to back it is smaller, the height is lower, and the shape is more subtle. I compared both in person at the Track with my Spyder. The Spyder Ducktail looks awesome IMO! It looked amazing on the Boxster 25 I had last year, it really transformed the look of that car. It looks equally amazing on the Spyder. But of course the OEM Spyder Ducktail is not compatible with the Caymans (or the GT4), as the curvature of the Boxster/Spyder trunk is different than the curvature of the Cayman hatch. (At least that his my theory as to why they are not cross compatible, in looking at them side by side in person.)

Believe it or not, being able to do a Spyder-looking Ducktail Spoiler that deploys at speed influenced me to go down the path with Cayman GTS 4.0 versus a GT4 for this project - with my comfort that this would provide for a more balanced Aero solution without a Wing. There were other factors too (pricing between the two cars, spec, features, etc.), but this contributed.

Last edited by IL_Pete; 07-20-2023 at 01:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
j-dub (07-20-2023), wdr911 (07-21-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 04:32 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Using the NR Auto GT4 Front Bumper - Highly recommended by the team at Flat6:

NR Auto GT4 Front Bumper from Flat6

Is compatible with the OEM Front Splitter, in case it needs to be replaced.

The plan is to do the NR Auto Front Bumper, the Frog Venom Rear Ducktail Spoiler, the OEM GT4 Side Intake Covers/Scoops and the OEM Rear Diffusers. Identical to the GT4 Exterior, except trades the Wing for the Ducktail Spoiler, and one that deploys at speed, which the GT4 lacks the capability to do.

Full Kline Exhaust, BMC Air Filters and the M-Engineering Tune, which bumps the HP and Torque to significantly over a stock GT4. Will do suspension upgrades to meet/exceed GT4, likely not right away, but in the not too distant future. (Will do the TPC Rear Toe Links and DSC in the meantime.) My 19" HREs with wider offsets and 255/285 Michelin 4SPS's (Apex Racing recommended fitment for both GT4 and GTS 4.0). GT4 Short Shifter (I have tried both the GT4 Short Shifter and the Numeric - both are great, I prefer the GT4 one). Glass Engine Cover to allow for more Cabin Engine Intake and Exhaust Noise. Longer term also plan to do the Deman 2-5 Gearing Mod.

Before:

After:

(GT4 Pic Wing removal via iPad and Apple Pencil.)

I absolutely adored my GT Silver PDK GT4, my favorite of my 718 4.0's! Except it had the wrong transmission for me for the street. And I could do without the Wing for the street.

Problems solved!
LooseNut (07-23-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 06:14 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 556 Posts

Stop it please @IL_Pete ... now I want to change mine
The following 4 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
Bearrun21 (07-22-2023), IL_Pete (07-20-2023), JAhmed (07-21-2023), wdr911 (07-22-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 06:25 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Me as well! This is fun!
The following 2 users liked this post by j-dub:
Bearrun21 (07-22-2023), IL_Pete (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 09:09 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Ha-ha! Yours is super stealthy, if that's what you like you should keep it that way. I want mine sort of in between stealthy and Race Car.

It was mostly you and @NiteCrawlr that gave me this idea, to build from a GTS 4.0!
Old 07-20-2023, 09:29 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Following up here on @NiteCrawlr 's suspension thread:

GTS suspension upgrades thread

Here is Janko Lind's review of the same Ohlin's Road & Track Suspension on the Cayman T (which comes standard with PASM) track toy from 3 years ago:

Pretty funny, he was so shocked with how big of an upgrade that was, that he was totally speechless! (I miss Janko's videos...)

I am still researching options on the suspension side of things, but those seem to get good reviews.

Quick Reply: Building a "GT4 Touring"...