Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Building a "GT4 Touring"...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 06:41 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by momo360
I have the OEM Spyder spoiler on my BGTS 4.0 (ordered from suncoast) Would that not fit on the Cayman GTS? Is the wing not the same?
No, doesnt fit Cayman
Old 07-27-2023, 07:50 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by momo360
I have the OEM Spyder spoiler on my BGTS 4.0 (ordered from suncoast) Would that not fit on the Cayman GTS? Is the wing not the same?
No, unfortunately the Cayman and Boxster have completely different spoilers, it seems to be the shape difference between the Boxster trunk lid and the Cayman hatch. The Boxster and Spyder can also share spoilers also because they both have riser mechanisms that rise at speed. The Cayman has the same riser mechanism but the GT4’s spoiler is bolted to the rear of the car and does not have a riser mechanism and does not have the necessary holes/location to bolt up to the riser.

Last edited by OldJedi; 07-27-2023 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-28-2023, 12:00 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Frog Venom is pretty useless. Been asking for months re stock. Maybe they make 1 unit per month..... by hand
I guess I got lucky, when I contacted them a few weeks ago, they said they had one almost done and let me order it!

It is scheduled to arrive Monday.
The following users liked this post:
OldJedi (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 03:32 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
I guess I got lucky, when I contacted them a few weeks ago, they said they had one almost done and let me order it!

It is scheduled to arrive Monday.
Pete, please post pictures and dimensions when it arrives. Hopefully FV will get some more spoilers in soon.
Old 07-28-2023, 03:58 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I think the bigger duck tail, side scoops, lowering / suspension mods are all good - GT4 front end, a step too far IMO.
I am surprised to hear you say that!

For me, this is about a GT4 without a Wing, perhaps just as much (or very similar from another direction) a Spyder with a hardtop. The Spyder with no Wing versus the GT4, with a similar aero balance of the Spyder a larger Ducktail spoiler that deploys at speed, and the more aggressive GT4/Spyder Front Bumper and Rear Diffuser. But with a hardtop, a Cayman. In that regard of the Spoiler deploying at speed and the Front Bumper and performance (Mods, tune, suspension, etc.) it is closer to being a Hardtop Spyder than a Wingless GT4.

Having owned and experienced all four of these cars, I really love the GT4 and Spyder Front Bumper, that is a key to me to a more aggressive look, more so than the side vents (which obviously the Spyder does not have). Again, the primary reason I am not starting with a GT4 is because I want a Spoiler that deploys at speed like the Cayman GTS 4.0 and the Spyder. Other than that attribute, it would be easier to start from a GT4. (Some other reasons too - I really like the spec of my Cayman GTS 4.0 order in GT Silver with the Full Bordeaux Red interior.)

The GTS 4.0 Front Bumper is nice too, just noticeably less aggressive once you have experienced the GT4 and/or Spyder.

There is no turning back now on that - the NR Auto Front Bumper Kit arrived today! In a box too big for UPS or FedEx, it came via Freight. There are a lot of parts in the box in addition to the Front Bumper itself, all the vents/grilles and some pieces under the bumper.
LooseNut (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 05:02 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 295 Posts

Whatever you do, just don't put GT4 badges on it.
Old 07-28-2023, 05:26 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skafia
Whatever you do, just don't put GT4 badges on it.
It will be equal to or superior to a GT4 in every aspect of performance when I am done building it, except for not having a wing.

But I won't, it will say simply "718" on the rear, as 2 of my previous ones did. I also didn't do the "GTS 4.0" on the sides either, that is in my opinion unnecessary visual clutter. Those who know know. I am not doing any of this for what someone else thinks, I want it for what I want for my build that I want to keep for a long time and rack miles up on, with these things going away forever.

My Track Car is a Frankenstein car too, a 2012 987 Cayman R but with a 911 Cup Car Carbon Fiber Front End. It looks like a 911 from the front. (I didn't build it, Rick DeMan did for another client, and it is an awesome build!) Many can't tell what it is, other than it is a Porsche. I like that, and I guess that notion is rubbing off for what I want for my street car.
Old 07-28-2023, 05:59 PM
bk9
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

For me, this is about a GT4 without a Wing, perhaps just as much (or very similar from another direction) a Spyder with a hardtop. The Spyder with no Wing versus the GT4, with a similar aero balance of the Spyder a larger Ducktail spoiler that deploys at speed, and the more aggressive GT4/Spyder Front Bumper and Rear Diffuser. But with a hardtop, a Cayman. In that regard of the Spoiler deploying at speed and the Front Bumper and performance (Mods, tune, suspension, etc.) it is closer to being a Hardtop Spyder than a Wingless GT4.

Having owned and experienced all four of these cars, I really love the GT4 and Spyder Front Bumper, that is a key to me to a more aggressive look, more so than the side vents (which obviously the Spyder does not have). Again, the primary reason I am not starting with a GT4 is because I want a Spoiler that deploys at speed like the Cayman GTS 4.0 and the Spyder. Other than that attribute, it would be easier to start from a GT4. (Some other reasons too - I really like the spec of my Cayman GTS 4.0 order in GT Silver with the Full Bordeaux Red interior.)

The GTS 4.0 Front Bumper is nice too, just noticeably less aggressive once you have experienced the GT4 and/or Spyder.

There is no turning back now on that - the NR Auto Front Bumper Kit arrived today! In a box too big for UPS or FedEx, it came via Freight. There are a lot of parts in the box in addition to the Front Bumper itself, all the vents/grilles and some pieces under the bumper.
I for one can't wait to see the result!
Bearrun21 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 07:34 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,463 Likes on 2,237 Posts

I think it is a fine line, and we likely all have different thresholds for “too far”. I think the GTS front end looks great, as does the spyder front end - they’re signatures for those cars and perhaps the biggest visual cue distinguishing the trim levels. I think it is the equivalent of putting the GT4 wing on a GTS - nope, I would not do that. But a lowered, tuned, sidescooped GTS with suspension upgrades is a mean piece of business without the faux GT vibes. Those are my unsolicited opinions!
OldJedi (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 08:38 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Pete, this is a picture underneath a GT4 behind the bumper. Does the NR Auto bumper kit have any of these pieces in the box?

Old 07-28-2023, 09:26 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I think it is a fine line, and we likely all have different thresholds for “too far”. I think the GTS front end looks great, as does the spyder front end - they’re signatures for those cars and perhaps the biggest visual cue distinguishing the trim levels. I think it is the equivalent of putting the GT4 wing on a GTS - nope, I would not do that. But a lowered, tuned, sidescooped GTS with suspension upgrades is a mean piece of business without the faux GT vibes. Those are my unsolicited opinions!
I agree that sometimes it can be a fine line. For traditionalists sometimes any change is going too far. For myself, I wanted a GT4 Touring but Porsche had other plans and obviously the model was never made. I thought of just buying a GT4 but a 2018 GTS is at all time low pricing and GT4’s are at all time highs. Plus my GTS was ordered and has the color and options that I wanted. Rather than have a $40,000 to $50,000 loss/differential, I can transform my Cayman to look like the GT4 Touring that Porsche never made for much, much less. I certainly will not put GT4 references on the car and will fill in the GT4 on the side scoops. But in the end, it is my car and I will make it look however I want. IL Pete is on the same track but for different reasons. We all make some kind of modifications to our cars whether it's an air freshener or engine swap. Just my opinion….
The following 4 users liked this post by OldJedi:
LooseNut (07-29-2023), Southbama (07-31-2023), UncleDude (07-28-2023), wdr911 (07-30-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 11:30 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 550 Posts

Did you ever consider putting cayman body panels on a Spyder? Would be rear quarter end sides, hatch and roof, likely side windows.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:43 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Did you ever consider putting cayman body panels on a Spyder? Would be rear quarter end sides, hatch and roof, likely side windows.
I think that changing the bumper, adding GT4 side scoops and rear spoiler would be a little bit easier.
Old 07-29-2023, 10:55 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Pete, this is a picture underneath a GT4 behind the bumper. Does the NR Auto bumper kit have any of these pieces in the box?

The NR Auto Front Bumper has a lot of parts in the box, a lot of supplemental vents, grills, etc. But no, it does not have the underbody pieces with the Golf Ball dimples in them. I am aware of those pieces, having owned both a GT4 and Spyder on having them both up on a lift many times both at home and at my shop at the track. I wouldn't expect those to come with a Front Bumper kit.

My opinion is that the underbody aero difference won't make a huge difference between the GT4/Spyder and the GTS underbody, at Street speeds and driving. When I do the Front Bumper, I will likely do the Rear Diffuser at the same time. That said, maybe down the road I might consider doing some of the underbody stuff for fun and ongoing work on the car. But it is not on my near-term radar.

One thing to note - I cannot do the front bumper right away - when you paint new body parts, it is not recommended to PPF them right away, it is recommended to let the paint "cure" for 60 days or so before applying PPF. So my plan is to do the rear spoiler right away at time of Full Body PPF and Ceramic upon first arrival of the car, and wait to PPF and Ceramic the Spoiler until the Paint cures. I will have the front bumper painted, and wait to get that PPF'ed and Ceramic Coated until the paint cures, and then get it put on the car. That is kind of cool actually, I will get to experience the car in the stock exterior appearance for a while (except for the spoiler upgrade), and then further upgrade later, which extends the fun of the mods and the journey for the car.

I am more focused on the performance mods anyway - I will detail that further as I start the "Chapter 5" Thread, which will be soon.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:29 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

No, I don't think that would be doable, now you are messing with the structure of the body, the way the roof attaches to the tub, etc. I don't think that would be possible.

I will clarify here that while I sold my Spyder recently to head down this path, I learned from that experience that while I do prefer a Cayman over a Spyder, I could definitely have lived with and been happy with a Spyder. The one I picked up was a 2021 with two previous owners and the Spec wasn't quite perfect for me. It only had 2K miles and change, but it did have some minor signs of wear and tear. But mostly it was the Spec. The biggest thing that bothered me was the base Xenon Headlights. I thought I would get used to them, but I didn't. My brain is used to the LEDs with the 4 points visible at the edges of the lights whether they are on or not. That probably could have been rectified, but probably would have been a pain to do, and expensive. Per the other thread here recently, no one has confirmed that they have done it and exactly what it takes to do it, which I find surprising. It was a combination of all the things, the MY2021, two previous owners, some signs of wear, the headlights, having to get the calipers and wheels painted / powder coated Black, the Roll Hoops painted in GT Silver wrapped in Matte Black or replaced, etc. - to get the car where I wanted it.

Had it been a 2023 with a better spec for me, or if I had ordered a Spyder instead of the GT4 and Cayman GTS 4.0 ordered, in my perfect spec, I probably just would have kept the Spyder.

I have owned all 4 non-RS 718 4.0's, and put a total of about 34,000 miles on them combined. I view them as all the same car, just 4 different variations of the same car. They all have the same engine (with a hardly noticeable different in the stock software tune, easily equalized with an aftermarket tune), and the same glorious 6 speed Manual gearbox, the best I have ever experienced. I find the biggest differences between the GT4/Spyder and the GTS 4.0's to be the suspension and the noise/experience inside the cabin with the differences in the sound deadening (after you equalize the tires). Sure, there may be subtle differences in reinforcements to the body on the 2 GT versions as @daaa nope pointed out - but I don't think you would ever notice that in street driving. And those difference are easily equalized with Mods. (If I were tracking the car, like I did with my Boxster 25 and PDK GT4 last year - I would DEFINITELY have stuck with the GT4.) Quite frankly, I think I could take ANY of the four models and Mod the car to my liking - they are all that good! Sometimes I think I should have kept my beloved Boxster 25, and gone down a similar path as I am doing with this incoming Cayman. But while I could be happy with any of the four, I am confident that the CGTS 4.0 is the best for me, with my priorities.

As I said previously here, there are a few reasons I decided to go the CGTS 4.0 path versus the GT4 path. Probably the biggest one is the notion of having a rear spoiler that deploys at speed in the CGTS 4.0. But another "shallow" factor quite frankly is that the CGTS 4.0 is spec'ed in GT Silver, and the GT4 is spec'ed in Carrara White Metallic. If the GT4 was GT Silver as well, who knows, I might have just gone down that path, and removed the Wing, and maybe try to retrofit the Cayman Wing mechanism for that. Or just have kept the Wing. You don't really know such things until you have the choices in front of you. I think I was in a pretty enviable position to coincidentally have both coming in at almost the exact same time, and being able to make that choice. It was kind of coincidental, the GT4 was ordered 4 months before the CGTS 4.0, but was delayed significantly by the factory move and whatever else happen with regards to the timing. As it turns out, they are now coming in just days apart, within a couple of weeks. Originally I intended to get both, but with the current economic headwinds in the market, combined with my prioritization of my track cars (Cayman R and a Spec Miata) and hefty running costs for those, I have decided it is more prudent to just get one of them for now. My G87 M2 is making for a great Daily Driver so far, that also factors into things - the M2 + 718 4.0 will make for a great two car garage, for now.

Last edited by IL_Pete; 07-29-2023 at 11:47 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
LooseNut (07-30-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (07-29-2023), Southbama (08-01-2023), wdr911 (07-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Building a "GT4 Touring"...