Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Building a "GT4 Touring"...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 02:01 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
Painted Cayman GTS Front Spoiler on Boxster 25 Years. Think it looks more aggressive than the stock black spoiler look.
Yes, your car was the one I was referring too. Also the BGTS doesn't have the full splitter like the CGTS, so assuming you fitter the CGTS one.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:54 AM
baege
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
To the OP:

After reading all the posts and replies, I gotta agree with Manifold Danger....I am not sure you are ever going to be happy with any car. That's okay, because it would appear that what really gives you joy is the chase. Once the chase for the next best and greatest thing is gone, you want to chase something else. We are at such high overall levels for cars, that these small changes really aren't going to amount to anything meaningful in terms of an actual driving experience and there really is no one car that can truly give you everything you want. I am at 3 years with my Spyder, and after thinking about other vehicles a bit, I have realized that there simply is nothing out there that will check all the boxes, and do them all better. Some of this thinking is truly human nature, and has to do with Dopamine pathways in the brain, which is part of motivation, reward, and even addiction. We will all be wired a bit differently. It's all fine as long as you recognize that is the way you are wired, and you will never actually be happy with any car. You just think you will so you keep chasing it, which is what is really giving you joy. And, yes, I am an MD !!

Hope this makes sense!!
I am also afflicted with the addiction to this platform, although I am not the poster boy as is Pete There is no one car that you will be forever happy with. But for some of us this platform is the goldilocks car, just the right size, great outward visibility, beautiful, naturally aspirated, available in a manual, well built, reliable and reasonably practical. I've had a 2014 Cayman S, 2016 Cayman S and now the 2022 GTS 4.0, and I have owned and driven lots of cars in between but I keep coming back to this platform.

I think Pete is just trying to get this platform exactly right for him. I admire the dedication. I am much less dedicated and pretty happy with my bone stock stripper manual GTS 4.0, it still stirs my soul in street driving.

The following users liked this post:
IL_Pete (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 09:33 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
Painted Cayman GTS Front Spoiler on Boxster 25 Years. Think it looks more aggressive than the stock black spoiler look.

Looks great! Funny, I didn't realize that the Boxster and Cayman GTS 4.0 Front Lips were different. And I have owned them both, and put 26K miles on the two combined! LOL...

Nice job on the "Neodyme Delete", I had done that on my B25 as well. The B25 is a great car, with the Black Windshield surround and the GT4 Short Shifter, and all around a great spec. The Wheels look great too!
Old 07-12-2023, 10:00 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Here are a few interesting threads related to this discussion of building a GT4 Touring:

Comparison: Stock GT4 vs Modified GTS
From @NiteCrawlr

GTS suspension upgrades thread
Also from @NiteCrawlr

Sound Deadening - Removing from GTS? And Spyder/BGTS Difference
From my Boxster 25 days, in direct comparison to @tdlondon 's Spyder from last year. I am fresh from an evening drive in the Spyder last night with the top down and windows up and down, and can with certainty reiterate that the Spyder experience is markedly different than the Boxster GTS in that more intake and exhaust noise comes through into the cabin - even with the stock exhaust! I still haven't figured out the magic of the Sound Deadening Differences between the BGTS and Spyder and the CGTS and GT4. But I will, on the Cayman front!

Wingless GT4
From the 981 GT4/Spyder Forum. Great pic from @stout :

Again this aesthetic look could be achieved via a GT4 with no wing, or Mods to a GTS 4.0. My predisposition at this point is to do it from the Cayman GTS 4.0, so I have a rear spoiler that deploys at speed for more balanced Aero. (And keep and enjoy the existing Spyder for at least the foreseeable future...)

GT4 Wing Temp Removal
Thread on this forum on the 718 GT4 and removing the Wing, with examples of the plates to cover the holes where the Wing Risers were, and the alternative of just getting a new/used rear hatch without the holes, getting it painted to match, and swapping them.

As mentioned previously here, one of the other aspects for me is that I like the GTS 4.0 Spec a lot (GT Silver with the Full Bordeaux Red Interior, like my Boxster 25, 1997 Boxster and 1999 996 911 C2 Cab). And also the ADM difference it is like $40K less than the Carrara White Metallic GT4 on order, that is a big difference. Thus my current thinking of starting with the Cayman GTS 4.0 and taking it towards the GT4 Touring concept in both aesthetic and performance.

That is my thinking this week anyway - what will it be next week? LOL...
Old 07-12-2023, 03:19 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Have toyed with the idea myself, some basic mockup I did!

The following 2 users liked this post by Josh_357:
IL_Pete (07-13-2023), LooseNut (07-23-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 05:28 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 840 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Here are a few interesting threads related to this discussion of building a GT4 Touring:

Comparison: Stock GT4 vs Modified GTS
From @NiteCrawlr

GTS suspension upgrades thread
Also from @NiteCrawlr

Sound Deadening - Removing from GTS? And Spyder/BGTS Difference
From my Boxster 25 days, in direct comparison to @tdlondon 's Spyder from last year. I am fresh from an evening drive in the Spyder last night with the top down and windows up and down, and can with certainty reiterate that the Spyder experience is markedly different than the Boxster GTS in that more intake and exhaust noise comes through into the cabin - even with the stock exhaust! I still haven't figured out the magic of the Sound Deadening Differences between the BGTS and Spyder and the CGTS and GT4. But I will, on the Cayman front!

Wingless GT4
From the 981 GT4/Spyder Forum. Great pic from @stout :

Again this aesthetic look could be achieved via a GT4 with no wing, or Mods to a GTS 4.0. My predisposition at this point is to do it from the Cayman GTS 4.0, so I have a rear spoiler that deploys at speed for more balanced Aero. (And keep and enjoy the existing Spyder for at least the foreseeable future...)

GT4 Wing Temp Removal
Thread on this forum on the 718 GT4 and removing the Wing, with examples of the plates to cover the holes where the Wing Risers were, and the alternative of just getting a new/used rear hatch without the holes, getting it painted to match, and swapping them.

As mentioned previously here, one of the other aspects for me is that I like the GTS 4.0 Spec a lot (GT Silver with the Full Bordeaux Red Interior, like my Boxster 25, 1997 Boxster and 1999 996 911 C2 Cab). And also the ADM difference it is like $40K less than the Carrara White Metallic GT4 on order, that is a big difference. Thus my current thinking of starting with the Cayman GTS 4.0 and taking it towards the GT4 Touring concept in both aesthetic and performance.

That is my thinking this week anyway - what will it be next week? LOL...

Don’t forget this recent thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...roduction.html
The following 2 users liked this post by BoxKing:
IL_Pete (07-13-2023), NiteCrawlr (07-12-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 12:32 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,491 Likes on 830 Posts
Thumbs up

I find this Thread to be a Fun one to follow .....................

Terry
IL_Pete (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 01:35 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

I also have a GTS 4.0 and am interested in making it capable of 5 -15 track days a year. I find this thread interesting and informative.

I recently added front camber plates/strut mounts to add some more camber to the front tires as I roasted the outside treads on the track. The stack height of the new camber mounts raised the front end just a bit. I looked at the option of lowering springs but don't want progressive wound springs found in the lowering spring options I saw on the market. When I contacted TPC to see what springs they recommend for the GTS with the DSC sport controller they let me know they will have a kit coming out later this year with linear rate springs and adjustable collars that fit right on to our existing PASM struts.

I actually like having the additional sound deadening of the GTS vs the GT4, I actually added dynamat to the rear "floor pan" last weekend while I was adding BMC air filters. I want to remove some of the boominess so I can better hear the intake.

The following 2 users liked this post by j-dub:
FazedChicken (07-13-2023), IL_Pete (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 02:56 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by j-dub
I also have a GTS 4.0 and am interested in making it capable of 5 -15 track days a year. I find this thread interesting and informative.

I recently added front camber plates/strut mounts to add some more camber to the front tires as I roasted the outside treads on the track. The stack height of the new camber mounts raised the front end just a bit. I looked at the option of lowering springs but don't want progressive wound springs found in the lowering spring options I saw on the market. When I contacted TPC to see what springs they recommend for the GTS with the DSC sport controller they let me know they will have a kit coming out later this year with linear rate springs and adjustable collars that fit right on to our existing PASM struts.

I actually like having the additional sound deadening of the GTS vs the GT4, I actually added dynamat to the rear "floor pan" last weekend while I was adding BMC air filters. I want to remove some of the boominess so I can better hear the intake.
Good info! I just got the Tarett clubsport style camber plates for my car. Seems like it should work with TPC since the TPC stuff is meant to work with stock PASM structs. The Tarett race version is only compatible with the GT cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by FazedChicken:
IL_Pete (07-13-2023), j-dub (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 03:00 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Hi Pete, I’m glad that for now, you have decided to go the GT4 Touring route. I am coming from a slightly different angle to achieve the same goal. I’m starting with my 2018 2.5T Cayman GTS. I really thought that Porsche was going to do a GT4 Touring because the GT3 Touring went so well, but that ship has sailed. So now I want to build what Porsche didn’t do. My plan is similar to yours like we have discussed before, GT4/Spyder front bumper with Spyder splitter. GT4 side intakes with the GT4 filled in and painted to match. GT4 style rear spoiler.

The rear spoiler is the problem! Unfortunately an OEM piece cannot be used and an aftermarket piece will have to be used. I know that you have used the TWL Carbon ducktail spoiler in the past and that seems to be the way I am leaning but still trying to source a spoiler in the US. Then doing a tune and bigger brakes to round off my build.

I like my interior with the 18 ways and white gauges so I don’t see much changing there. I did go to the paint shop this morning to discuss with him some approximate costs for my project. I look forward to following part 5 and watching your build. Let us (me) know what you decide to do about the rear spoiler. Best of luck with your project.
IL_Pete (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 03:12 PM
Stratocaster
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GT4 RS just built...Anyone's?

Saw this one parked in the lot at factory yesterday. Anyones?

Old 07-13-2023, 05:39 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

I found this company, which appears to be out of China, but seems to make some parts that look like GT4/GT4RS parts. For instance, this spoiler that fits Caymans with motorized spoilers that looks like the GT4 fixed spoiler. https://frog-venom.com/products/duck...43068682305728 Says sold out, but if they make more could fit the Touring vibe.
IL_Pete (07-18-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 06:28 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh_357
I found this company, which appears to be out of China, but seems to make some parts that look like GT4/GT4RS parts. For instance, this spoiler that fits Caymans with motorized spoilers that looks like the GT4 fixed spoiler. https://frog-venom.com/products/duck...43068682305728 Says sold out, but if they make more could fit the Touring vibe.
Thanks, @Josh_357 !

Yes, I have my eye on that one too, I found out about them from another thread here a while back. It has said "Sold Out" for that Cayman Ducktail Spoiler a few months now, I haven't reached out to them yet. I would do that one if available, or the TWL Carbon one. That one would look more OEM like doing the Spyder spoiler on a Boxster - as I did on my Boxster 25 with great results. The CF TWL one is great, looks more so unique and more obviously aftermarket.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:13 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Thanks, @Josh_357 !

Yes, I have my eye on that one too, I found out about them from another thread here a while back. It has said "Sold Out" for that Cayman Ducktail Spoiler a few months now, I haven't reached out to them yet. I would do that one if available, or the TWL Carbon one. That one would look more OEM like doing the Spyder spoiler on a Boxster - as I did on my Boxster 25 with great results. The CF TWL one is great, looks more so unique and more obviously aftermarket.
I reached out to them 3 months ago and they replied that item would be in stock in 2 weeks. Still isn't. Anyway, I really don't want to be adding Chinese parts to my Porsche. I don't think I'd be changing any aero related bits anyway, but if I did it would need to be from a renowned manufacturer. Reason I say this is, I've had too many quality and fitment issues over the years of aftermarket body parts. Also, there's often inconsistency with parts, as in 1 person has no fitment issues, then next does.
IL_Pete (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 04:08 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 306 Posts

One thing to note, as I don't think I've seen it mentioned here.... if the "Touring" is supposed to be "all GT parts underneath but with an understated look" then you want to start with a Spyder or GT4, vs a GTS, as I am fairly certain (?) that, at the very least, the GT4/Spyder subframe in the rear is different, if not the tub itself. So it would take a LOT of work (if not impossible, if there are tub differences) to mechanically convert a GTS to a GT4.
IL_Pete (07-14-2023)

Quick Reply: Building a "GT4 Touring"...