Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Building a "GT4 Touring"...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 05:32 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,463 Likes on 2,237 Posts

I have also learned, sort of the hard way, that the specs really do matter and if you think it is important before a purchase you should pretty much trust your gut on that. If my blue spyder had buckets, I’d still have it…… the green one has every option LOL so I’m covered!
The following users liked this post:
IL_Pete (07-30-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 11:41 AM
LooseNut
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Extended range fuel tank

@IL_Pete I completely support you in this project as I like the idea of a GT4 Touring. I'd like to help spend some of your money.
What about adding the larger fuel tank?
To help add more rear aero, what about the GT4 RS rear bumper trim pieces? (I have no evidence of their actual downforce benefit)

Hard to see but this is the location

Cheers,
Ed
Old 08-01-2023, 01:39 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by LooseNut
@IL_Pete I completely support you in this project as I like the idea of a GT4 Touring. I'd like to help spend some of your money.
What about adding the larger fuel tank?
To help add more rear aero, what about the GT4 RS rear bumper trim pieces? (I have no evidence of their actual downforce benefit)

Hard to see but this is the location

Cheers,
Ed
Thanks for the suggestion!

I do not plan to put on any GT4 RS parts, that would be one step too far for my thinking. I am fine with just a Spyder-like Rear Spoiler that deploys at speed, for theoretically an aero balance similar to a Spyder, at least roughly.
LooseNut (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 02:01 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Pete, did your rear spoiler from Frog Venom arrive? If so, can you please post some pictures of it. I’m still waiting for them to get the spoilers in stock.Thanks
Old 08-05-2023, 02:32 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Pete, did your rear spoiler from Frog Venom arrive? If so, can you please post some pictures of it. I’m still waiting for them to get the spoilers in stock.Thanks
Yes, it arrived. I just opened it this morning:

It has exceeded all expectations with regards to looks and quality. It is Carbon Fiber in construction, and then primed. It is insanely light in weight, because of that.

The shape of it is gorgeous. It looks to me a LOT like the OEM Spyder spoiler in shape and size, which is exactly what I wanted. And this is really the only product on the market I have seen like this - a Cayman compatible Spyder-like Spoiler. I have had the Spyder twice, a mod on the Boxster 25, and again on the Spyder more recently. I was amazed at how much just that mod transformed the look of the Boxster 25. The Spyder takes it that one step further with the more aggressive front bumper plus the beefier rear diffuser, which I is what I am going for here, basically a Hardtop Cayman Spyder.

The only unknown for me now is how easily and cleanly in installs on the Cayman Spoiler Base...
Old 08-05-2023, 02:59 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Pete, I am glad that you received it and thanks for the pictures. Would you mind taking a picture of bottom or inside so I can see how it would bolt up to the CGTS base rising unit?

I agree it is the only one so far in a paintable piece that seems to match the Spyder unit for a Cayman. It looks to be about 1-3/4” tall which puts it pretty close to the measurements I have on a GT4 spoiler. Frog Venom did reach out to say that they have the gloss exposed CF ducktail spoilers in stock but I’m going to wait for the primered spoilers to return to stock since I’m going to paint mine to match. Thanks

Last edited by OldJedi; 08-05-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:23 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Pete, I am glad that you received it and thanks for the pictures. Would you mind taking a picture of bottom or inside so I can see how it would bolt up to the CGTS base rising unit?

I agree it is the only one so far in a paintable piece that seems to match the Spyder unit for a Cayman. It looks to be about 1-3/4” tall which puts it pretty close to the measurements I have on a GT4 spoiler. Frog Venom did reach out to say that they have the gloss exposed CF ducktail spoilers in stock but I’m going to wait for the primered spoilers to return to stock since I’m going to paint mine to match. Thanks
Yes, here you go. After I posted the pics above, I realized I should have also taken pics of the bottom and mounting - I knew that would be your immediate response, LOL!

It looks pretty simple, see the first 26 seconds of this video:

Per my previous mention, the TWL Carbon Spoiler replaces the Spoiler with the Base, this one just uses the existing Base and replaces the top piece.
Old 08-05-2023, 09:49 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Pete, thank you very much!! The pictures and video are greatly appreciated.
IL_Pete (08-06-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 08:20 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 119 Posts

How much was your total shipped for the frog venom ducktail? I'm looking at it and it says shipping is 200 for me to WA which seems crazy.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:27 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

The 981 gt4 was the original touring.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:31 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chapmans
How much was your total shipped for the frog venom ducktail? I'm looking at it and it says shipping is 200 for me to WA which seems crazy.
$76. They asked for my specific ZIP code and then followed up with a quote for the shipping.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:32 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
$76. They asked for my specific ZIP code and then followed up with a quote for the shipping.
Did you just check out with the cart normally or email them to buy?
Old 08-08-2023, 08:36 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chapmans
Did you just check out with the cart normally or email them to buy?
I emailed them back and forth to confirm the details. And then for me to pay for it, they updated the web page for that part to include the shipping, and then I immediately added it to the cart and purchased it. Kind of a weird way to do it, but it worked fine!
Old 08-08-2023, 08:41 PM
shiftgear
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

how does the frog venom ducktail compare to the TWL carbon?
Old 08-08-2023, 10:04 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

I think as soon as you confirm the fit and finish of the FV duck tail they will be flooded with orders and inquiries.

The following 2 users liked this post by j-dub:
bk9 (08-30-2023), IL_Pete (08-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Building a "GT4 Touring"...